Spinning or inline reel

• Greg Perz

I just ordered a DH noodle rod and I am tryin to determine what type and brand of reel to put on it.

The only combo I have with an inline reel is a UL tickle stick. I like the setup but wonder what other people think.

Thanks
    EIU

bullcans
    Northfield MN

My 2 cents and only my 2 cents is I bought into the “in line” reel thing too a few years ago. They definitely have their place but overall i would take a spinning reel and throw a swivel on the end of a leader. My in line reels have been collecting dust and i don’t really miss using them. Again, just my 2 cents

tim hurley

The fall of a jig because it is perpendicular to the line puts twist into the line this will happen with an in line too-it will also happen if you use a swivel, just look down in clear water. Keep jiggling or use a spoon. Get a spin cast with a smooth drag.
    Good Luck

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I spent money on the craze and sold them all, if ur going to spend money on a nice rod, most reels weigh more than the rod. I did keep my Okuma Slv on my tucr noodle and love the combo. All the 6061 reels feel so unbalanced

Bassn Dan

It seems like the guys that expect them to be like a spinning reel hate them. The people that recognize that they function like a baitcasting reel like them.

I like inlines for shallow water fishing and have 5 (soon to be 8.) I really don’t like the Sahara spinning reel that I have, but it would be my choice for deep water and larger fish.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X2 on what Bullcans and Craig said.
    Inline are just OK. Spinning reels are time tested and approved.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve tried 3 different inline reels and like the CGI the best with an upgraded drag. That being said, there is NOTHING better than a spinning reel in my mind. I only use 1 inline now and it’s pretty much just a backup reel when in the wheelhouse. I just can’t justify the PITA inline reels can become when they freeze up. You need to be careful hand stripping line when it freezes and they don’t free-fall well when frozen up either…Yes, line twist is minimized, but the hassle is not worth the reward in my mind.

Pflueger President micro gets my vote.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I think if your looking for a shallow water set up inline is good. If your going to fish deeper water then maybe spinning is better if you fish a combo of depths (and deeper is part) spinning is better.

In my experience you can not eliminate all line twist although the inline is better for that but doing the swivel with leader will help as well. Especially if you use a low memory line as main line like braid.

Good luck.

BrianF

Have you guys ever seen where a constantly twisting lure had a negative effect on the number of bites? I assumed this was the case when I invested in several in-line reels, though personally can’t say I’ve seen a situation in which the spinning reels/twisting lures being fished around me got fewer bites. So, my real world experience is that the twisting doesn’t seem to matter to the fish?? For that reason, I’m putting a spinning reel on one of the rods in the box this year, along with all my in-lines.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ve got a Black Betty on a tickle stick. I don’t love it. I spend a lot of my time hole hopping and not a lot of it inside. I run into problems with it freezing or dropping down slow. When on a hot perch or crappie bite where you can’t just get your line down fast enough for a few minutes, it seems like it takes too long to drop down and the school moves on. If I am inside a shack I have no problems with it.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Inside a shack inline, outside spinning.

Bassn Dan

I’ve got a Black Betty on a tickle stick. I don’t love it. I spend a lot of my time hole hopping and not a lot of it inside. I run into problems with it freezing or dropping down slow. When on a hot perch or crappie bite where you can’t just get your line down fast enough for a few minutes, it seems like it takes too long to drop down and the school moves on. If I am inside a shack I have no problems with it.

Sounds like the reel lube is too thick. Try oiling it with hot sauce, tri-flow, etc.

Brennon Nielson

i like inline reels. that is all i run now. i love being able to drop tiny jigs just by clicking the button. i did carbon fiber drag upgrades on all my eagle claws and it made a huge difference. but my favorite is by far my Freefall. super smooth drop and drag. i honestly feel that the inlines make a difference in the bite. however i am fishing trout (Brooke, rainbows, splake, cutts, browns, tigers) and not walleye or panfish so i dont know how big of a difference it makes with them species. there is my 2 cents worth

robby
    Quad Cities

I love my inline reels! That said I have spinning rigs. I normally fish for panfish. If fishing more than 12 or 15 feet, which is rare I use the spinning rigs.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I don’t own any inline reels per say. Still have fly reels, and that baitcasting reel in my profile avatar. Spinning reels cuz, well I have them, may as well use them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.