I need advise BAD

• fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

there are two lures that i am not sure how to fish with, one is a tube jig. i know how to rig them up but how do you fish them? i want to get some smallies on mille lacs and i hear this is one of the best lures for them. and the second is a jig, what do u use as a trailer and how do you fish them? ive never had much luck on them at all. how well does the jig actually work? thanks for any help in advance!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’d suggest putting a Super Doo Head inside you tubes for a different approach. The action is different and the Smallies react to it well. 1/8 or 1/4oz weights work best. Here’s a pic of the head.

Just slide the whole head into the tube. The weedguard will lay flat.

As for the jigs, Perch and Crawfish patterns are best. You can do well with either a 5″ single tail grub or a Crawfish imitation.

If I had my choice, I’d use the Super Doo tube or a Senko.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

tubes are easy to fish and i dont even fish bass that much. there are a number of ways to work them. you can cast it out and let it hit bottom and pop it off and let it sink back down and repeat. you could also cast it out and let sink and just start hoping it back to the boat with it not ever hitting the bottom. hope that helps. thats usually the way i work em. sometimes there isnt a wrong way to work them. i cant help u out with the jigs as i dont fish them very often.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

the hooks on those doo jigs are some of the finest I have used.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I run my tubes on a Title SHot jig. I would think the action would be similar to the SuperDoo Jig shown however I must say that the Title SHot Jig will make a tube last longer than any other type of rigging. This is because the retainer won’t destroy the nose of your tube when you set the hook or rerig. It’s also super weedless (not necessarily what you need for smallies but still can be nice) AND they come in a football version too. You can add rattles, I do. Here’s a post from a while back:

Title SHot Post

The fish will tell you how to work them but I usually cast out, let the jig fall to the bottom, and hop, shake and drag it back…

Another way I like to fish a tube, especially for smallies is with a split shot rig. I like to use Water Gremlin’s Bull Shot for the split shot and Mustad’s Power Lock Hooks. Just cast out and slowly drag/pause…deadly.

Don’t use a jig much anymore, I’m usually catching them on a tube. Jigs work great though and they’re great big fish lures. I let my partners throw them while I’m tubing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

I run my tubes on a Title SHot jig.

X2 on the Title shot jig. They are a excellent product!!!!!!

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Quote:

there are two lures that i am not sure how to fish with, one is a tube jig. i know how to rig them up but how do you fish them? i want to get some smallies on mille lacs and i hear this is one of the best lures for them. and the second is a jig, what do u use as a trailer and how do you fish them? ive never had much luck on them at all. how well does the jig actually work? thanks for any help in advance!

Either a jig head similar to the styles mentioned above or in heavy wood or weed cover I quite often will Texas rig it.

envoy98
    Minneapolis, MN

Try the “Stupid Tube” rigging method.

http://bassinblog.richlindgren.com/2009/01/23/how-to-rig-a-stupid-tube.aspx

Tubes can be rigged texas style, I’ve also used the northland lead head tube jigs. They cost about .40 and work great for the “Stupid Tube” setup.

As for jigs, I assume you’re talking about the football head or swim jigs. I use the Berkley chigger-craws or the Reaction innovations sweet beavers. Depending on the bite sometimes a shorter trailer is appropriate and will get bites. Other times the big profile is desirable. Just have to try both and see what the fish want.

As for jigs,

old76er
    middle of the corn belt Tekamah, Ne

A tube is the most consistent bait for smallies. I use a gamagatsu tube jig head inserted in to the tube, this is an exposed hook rig. I use 3.5″ fish-tech tubes sold in Manhattan, Ks. I like to drag my tube back to the boat.

I prefer 5″ chomper twin tail grub used on a chomper jig head all made by Table Rock Bait and Tackle. This bait is best used by casting it out and hoping it back to the boat 6″ at a time. The jig can also be dragged on the bottom and slowly worked over rocks and other bottom structure.

I use St. Croix Legends 7′ medium/fast action rods and Shimanno symetre reels spooled with 8 or 10 lb Segaur floro line.
    Both baits are good for numbers and size but if I had to choose I would choose the fishtech tube in light melon. Try these two baits and you will catch more and bigger fish.
    http://www.fishtechoutdoors.com
    http://www.chompers.com

millerdriller

typically I T rig a tube 100% of the time. the action is dynomite! cast let it sink and swim it back. Not reel it back, but swim it back. Find your own groove on that. If you’re in lots of rocks, this set up will surely get hung up over and over so you will have to start swimming it before it hits those rocks. Good luck! Tubes are awesome! Swim jig is the same thing. You gotta swim them. not just cast and reel. Get out there and give em a try. You’ll enjoy it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.