Swim Baits

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I am going to try soft swim baits this year and am wondering if any of you guys have tried these and your opinions? I have a hard time with the price on the Berkley hollow body one ($10 for a three pack) as I heard the pike love them. But, if they are the best, than that is what I’ll check out. There are obviously tons of opinions out there.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I used the Bass Magic swimbaits last summer with great success. Pike are hard on everything, but these seemed to handle it better than I expected. I have some Basstrix paddletails, but those haven’t seen any water yet.

I did get some hand poured swimbaits from my favorite handpour artist, and I plan on putting them though a serious workout.

Good luck, they are a LOT of fun to fish, and the Bass seem to react well to them.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I used them last year with realy good results. the only problem i had was that the brand i had wasnt very durable. I’m also curious to what is the best or at least durable swimbaits out there. I’ve tried a couple differant hooks with the baits and if you caught 2 fish before the bait was destroyed you’d be lucky. Dan

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

What kind were you using?

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Bought some Yum ones this off season, looking forward to tossing them around in another couple weeks. They are really soft, any toothy critter is going to destroy it. Just like fishing with Senko’s, three casts and a rockbass later, another worm…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have been using the Culprit Ultimate minnows with good success. I have rigged them three ways. 1. 6/0 & 7/0 EWG hooks 2. Custom jigs that I make 3.As a slider with stainless steel wire through the body with a small snap on the rear end with a #2 EWG treble hook. This has been my best rig, but not good for thick weeds.

If your going to get into soft body swim baits, you need a couple tubes of super glue. The head end of the bait will get torn up with a few fish. You can extend the life of them by melting the heads back together. I also have a very fine tip sodering iron I use in the garage for melting them back together. I’m cheap, and need to get as many fish as I can per bait. So, don’t throw the used ones out if they can be touched up.

Culprit Ultimate Minnow

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Cool idea Randy, too bad I threw mine all away. Do you apply the super glue when rigging them up? Tom I think I also used Bass magic if I remember correctly. I’m not saying they are a bad product but for the money they didn’t last long. Dan

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

No, not when rigging – just to repair. If at all possible, I like it when they slide up the line.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Has anyone tried the Z-Man swimbaits? They are made of the same stuff as the Snapback soft plastics. I have a couple packages of Snapbacks and they are very durable. I am very new to the swimbait revolution, and with so many to choose from, it’s tough to pick the best one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.