Red-eyed Largemouth?

• coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

I was just talking about this yesterday morning. How smallmouth and rock bass have red eyes. Ironically a friend of mine, a few lakes over, caught this largemouth. AND IT HAS RED EYES!

What gives? I’d like to hear it from the bass pro’s

BBKK
    IA

Devil bass.

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

Most modern cameras have a red eye reduction button on them, that should fix the problem

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

So it’s just weird.. But not that weird..

Few things I’ve learned from this so far:
    1. That above fish should really be put in holy water.
    2. Someone dropped the big fat pan of brownies ( THOSE KIND ) and what can ya say… He got the munchies.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

spotted bass??

BBKK
    IA

Since you posted this I did some searches. Seems red eyed largemouth are pretty rare, its just a pigment variation in the eyes. I have never seen one in the wild before, but I have seen pictures on various forums.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I saw a red nose crawler once. Very, very rare from what I hear.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Obviously the love child of Mr.Largie cheating on his wife with Ms. Rocky. Even male fish are big jerk heads.

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

Quote:

Since you posted this I did some searches. Seems red eyed largemouth are pretty rare, its just a pigment variation in the eyes. I have never seen one in the wild before, but I have seen pictures on various forums.

That’s exactly what I was lookin for. Thank you! Kevin deuce deuce!

I did a bit of research and the spotted bass did come up but from what I can tell they are more southern. But eh!? That’s why I wanted to get the real deal from you bass pros.

The red nosed crawler is a special concern specie, extremely uncommon, and has unique and highly specific habitat requirement. Catch one of those PLEASE DON’T MOUNT IT!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Catch one of those PLEASE DON’T MOUNT IT!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yes that is coffee on the screen and YES, ALL OF THAT DID COME OUT OF MY NOSE!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

AIS?

YES! He got milfoil in his eye! Now the entire largemouth population is in jeopardy. All crankbaits and jigs must be pressure washed at the boat ramp.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Up all night…..

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Isn’t that a symptom of smokin the wacky tobacky

Red, and Blood shot eyes

He obviously got the munchies, and hence he got caught

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

spotted bass??

That was my first thought as well, Shark. I recently caught one that looked like a spot, too, but was told by our biologist that it was a LMB. Something about the placement of the lower jaw in conjunction with the eye determines a LMB from a spot, kinda like flathead vs. channel.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

spotted bass??

That was my first thought as well, Shark. I recently caught one that looked like a spot, too, but was told by our biologist that it was a LMB. Something about the placement of the lower jaw in conjunction with the eye determines a LMB from a spot, kinda like flathead vs. channel.

Spotted- back of the jaw does not extend past the eye. Teeth on the tongue. Has coloration similar to a largemouth including the blotched lateral line.
    Largemouth- Back of the jaw goes clearly past the eye, sometimes but rarely have teeth on the tongue.
    Smallies- Back of the jaw does not extend past the eye. Sometimes has teeth on tongue.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I caught a Spot for my Grand Slam on PickWick this spring…no red eyes but yes, there are teeth on their tongues!

kbush
    Minneapolis, MN

What is your camera setting on? Looks like you are fishing saltwater

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.