Clear Lake Help

• rschmidty

Looking for any help or advise on fishing lakes with clear water. The lakes I typically fish are on the muddy side, so I don’t have a whole lot of experience fishing in these lakes. I’m going up north for the 4th and the lake we stay on is really clear.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Get out a little deeper, use a flourocarbon leader and make long casts.

thegun
    mn

mid summer sallies on shield lakes!! lip-less cranks on windblown deep Rockie shores.. top waters tight to sore in current areas.. the tinny torpedoes work well (early and late in the day) dont forget a few tubes to get those fish out a little deeper during hot mid day!

expect to lose a few to the toothy veriity!!

good luck and have a great 4th!!

thegun
    mn

rock points allways hold fish!!

j-eye
    La Crosse, WI

When rigging use a least a 6ft mono or flouro leader. Especially if there is much fishing pressure.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Dropshot with 6 or 8 # florocarbon, experiment with the tag end lengh. Use a 3-5″ senko with more natural colors, has worked great for me!

ccales
    Mpls, MN

In addition to what the other posts say, try to tone down the lure, for example, sometimes rattles and to much flash can spook bass in clear water. Natural colors instead of loud. Wind is your friend. Calm water can be tough. Good luck.

crankbait22

I fish ultra clear water in socal. My partner is paranoid about perfectly matching the hatch. I fish the most alien style baits and colors I can dream up. We both catch fish. My point is, don’t be afraid to fish your muddy water baits and styles in clear water. Especially if you are fishing for reaction bites. As long as you are fishing clean water “completely wrong” you will be the only one showing fish something they have never seen before and you will literally have the entire lake to yourself. You should be quiet and stealthy/long casts regardless of water color. You know how according to the book you fish tighter to cover in muddy water? Well in clear water remember that shadows are cover. Fish the shadow edges and avoid placing moving shadows from you or your boat on top of areas you are fishing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.