Wacky rig questions

• b-j-r
    Pool 4

Looking to try wacky rigging some 5″ senkos this weekend for the first time. I’ve been watching some “tips” on youtube etc, but still have a couple questions.
    Whats the best hook to use for these? I seen short shank octopus hooks, regular offset worm hooks etc used. And how is the hook up ratio? With just the one hook in the middle of 5″ it looks like you could miss quite a few strikes? What type of hook set do you use, reel till you feel wait then set or do they hit it hard enough to just set? If I miss too many I will just go to a texas rig with a 3/0. Thanks.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’m by no means a wacky senko expert, but I’ve fished them enough to tell you what I know, and what I like. Much of it depends on the amount of vegetation you are fishing around. If you are skipping docks and the bottom is mostly sand/muck with limited vegetation, I use a 3/0 worm hook. Conversely, if I’m throwing into pads or other vegetation, then I’m typically using a 1/0 Gamakatsu weedless finesse hook. I always use the little black rubber grommets for 2 reasons. 1. Because it’s much easier on the worm, and 2. more of the hook gap is exposed for better hook ups.
    For the most part, I’m feeling the “tick” and setting the hook within a second afterwards. It seems like the fish like the slow, subtle fall of the wacky rigged senko and suck it right in.
    Good luck!

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

Personally I use a 3/0 hook that has a weedless barb across the front of it. I also use o-rings for my senko’s because they last a lot longer if you use those.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

The other thing I like to do when using the offset worm hook is if I am fishing along and run into heavier vegetation, I’ll quickly Texas rig the senko and keep right on fishing. Then switch back to wacky style when the vegetation opens up more.

BBKK
    IA

I like a #1/0 octopus hook.

Hook up ratio is better than T-rig because the hook is exposed the whole time. The bass will still take the bait from one of the ends, so in theory your hook is closer to the fish than if you T-rigged it and he hit from the tail.

99% of your bites will be visible, you will see the line take off swimming. I just start cranking until the fish loads the rod, then I set the hook.

Fish them on green or flo blue mono so you can see your line, wacky rigging senkos is a line watchers game. You can run a fluorocarbon leader if you need to.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Wacky Rig Hook

I personally like the SureSet drop shot hook from VMC in the 1/0 size, this hook is also used for drop shoting as well. Like mentioned above I use split rings, bought in bulk from Cabelas, use a big enough split ring to fit snug on the senko, but not loose enough to slide off the senko. Hook the senko between split ring and senko, worm lasts longer and this also helps sink the wacky rig if fishing deeper water. This is a fun way to fish as well.

red89
    Hudson

I’m on a wacky rig kick lately, and have been using a eagle claw 1/0 wacky worm hook. Its like an octopus hook, but has a bigger gap.
    It looks tiny, but even with a 7″ trick worm, you hook pretty much every bass. I caught a 5lb. smallie last week on this hook, so they definitely work good. Usually gets them right in the upper lip too

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

I use successfully wacky rigged seinkos on a 2/0 Weedless Circle Hook
    Weedless circle hooks

Wacky Rig Tool
    Wacky Rig Tool from Cabelas or others Have used that hook for several years wacky rigging. I don’t like the plastic weedless part. It is a great method. This year I have tried it a little post spawn.

See a Wacky Rigged Bass 18 1/2″

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The only “wacky” hook I use is the one made by gamakatsu which is weedless. Someone else had the link above. I use the 4/0 size with 50lb braid.

All of the above is located in the picture, including the end result of said set up. As a bonus that LM Bass had a 6″ Bluegill in it’s throat.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

If you want a wacky set up that has 100% open gap and I have to believe will protect the senko better than any other set up, give this a try, the Wacky Nuckle Ball Requires, Bass’n Nuckle ball jigs from Fin-tech and some neoprene hair bands borrowed from your FW.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I use 2/0 DS hooks on my 4″ Senkos… 3/0 on the 5-6″ ers with 8-10# Flouro… but I am not dealing with heavy cover.
    I am using a med/fast 7’4″ casting rod.

b-j-r
    Pool 4

Thanks for all the info. I will post results tomorrow evening.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.