a new question??

• fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

i posted about rip rap a couple days ago and you guys were awesome at explaining it. being new to fishing rivers especially the mississippi im still trying to get used to it. i have fished twice and only have 1 bass to show for it lol but im learning. hopefully this summer ill eventually understand how its done. my next question is about wing dams. i think i understand what they are? maybe? but how do you find them and how on earth do you fish them? once i get this backwater stuff figured out (which i just learned what that was a week ago)i want to try and get some smallies on wing dams. or largemouth i dont mind what one. thanks in advance guys!! also on rip rap do u catch both large and small mouth or just largemouth?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

on the Miss you will catch about everything. The bass guys may have a better answer though. good luck.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’ve caught both largemouth and smallmouth bass on wingdams but way more smallmouth. Either way, they get tossed on the bank so they don’t become any more invasive

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I catch many more SM on riprap than LM. BUT, there are a few stretches of pool 6 and 7 that I almost always catch LG on.

FDR

thegun
    mn

wing damns are pretty easy to spot on days with little to no wind! most will be found on the main channel but not all!

You can see a finger of turbulent current coming from shor all the way out to the buoys at times! basically they are a pile of rock that divert current to the main channel! they help keep the channel deep for navigation.

Sounds like your new to the river. You know there are wing damns. Keep your boat between the navigational buoys at all time while running the channel. You don’t want to find out the hard way what a wing damn is. Ive seen a lot of guys donate some metal to the wing damns over the years!

As far as what you can catch off of wingies! Well if its in the river theres a good chance they will be on the wings at some point!

Good luck out there! Take her slow until you know whats under the water! One big thing to consider! Just when you think you know the river, She gos and changes on ya!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.