South Dakota fishing trip

• Craig Fisher

My brothers and I are planning a ice fishing trip first week of March to South Dakota from Iowa. Looking for recommendations as to where to start as far as areas to fish. Is it worth paying for a guide? Which bait shops that won’t blow smoke as to where to try. Only have a few days so want to make the most out of it. Never really fished for perch or walleye so not sure where to start. Not looking for trophies just want to get out and have some fun. Thanks.

tornadochaser

Do some research on the SDGFP website regarding lake surveys and netting reports from this summer. Also, look for patterns by looking at previous years information. early march can be some of the best fishing of the year for all species. Don’t get stuck on one particular lake, if you aren’t marking fish, make big moves, and don’t be afraid to change lakes. If your in the Webster area, Lake Preston area, Watertown area, Clark area, you’ve got dozens of lakes in each area you can make a short drive to.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d start by calling the Fishing report put out by Sportsman’s Cove bait in Webster. The phone # is 605-345-2468. They do a EXCELLENT job of keeping a updated report on the recording. If you are going to be in the Webster Area I’d make my first stop once getting there to Sportman’s Cove as well. They are vary helpful in getting you started in the right direction.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

Doug at Sportsmans cove is a heck of nice guy and points you in the right direction.

For guides in the area….Marcus Quam with Reel Therapy Guide Service is a top notch guy, and a good buddy of mine. He has appeared on a couple IDO shows this winter. His number is 605-940-9943

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.