South Dakota Fall bite in full swing

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

With cooler nights, shorter days, and dropping water temps, the fall bite in South Dakota is heating up. Fish are shallow, deep, and everywhere in between. We’ve been targeting the shallow fish and finding lots of hungry walleyes. Big fish are few and far between but still around. Most of the action has been on great eating size walleyes in the 15″-19″ range. There are also some bonus perch and other panfish to be had depending on the body of water.

Best success had been casting crankbaits such as Rapala Shad Raps, Minnow Raps, X-Raps and Husky Jerks. Colors like Hot Tiger, Hot Steel, Yellow Perch, and Olive have been my choices. We’ve also been pitching VMC Mooneye jig/plastic combos as a follow up bait with good numbers. The Mooneye jig has a wire plastic/bait retainer collar that holds better than lead while fishing them around weeds, rock, and timber. Don’t overlook the Jigging Rap bite this time of year either. Working them in mid to deep lake structure has proven to be a winner for many out here the past couple seasons.

With Waterfowl season underway and Pheasant opener this weekend, You’ll see a lot less pressure on some of the more notable bodies of water. That means non-crowded boat ramps and good fishing to those who love to dress warm for a good fall walleye trip.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I’m heading out that way Saturday morning! Very excited!

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Nice Crappies! I have been finding the bigger walleyes on a few lakes but they sure aren’t hitting like they did last year. The panfishing has been exceptional the last few weeks.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Great Report!!
    Is it possible to catch walleyes on the Missouri from shore? Headed out there for a hunting trip next week and may bring a rod if it’s something that works. Thanks!

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Places Like Chamberlain, Fort Randall, Pierre (below) are great places to shore fish in the fall. Casting Original Floating Raps in sizes 9 and 11 below the dams after dark is one of my favorite bites. Beware that the rocks can be treacherous and it can be busy so use patience and dress warm. Look for seams in the current, backwashes, and dead zones and target those. Often times these are right up tight to the bank. Keep headlamps and other light sources to a minimum as they can spook these after dark fish in very clear water. Great time of year to stick a big un.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

The crew is headed up today for the weekend. Leaving the boats at home and we are only fishing from shorelines.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

The crew is headed up today for the weekend. Leaving the boats at home and we are only fishing from shorelines.

Good luck, I will be there Saturday morning, where are you planning on fishing?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.