Something noticed from a newcomer

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nothing happened. The rum post was perfectly cordial..

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Thicker skin?

Diverse group here that’ll only help expand one’s too limited vision. If u are willing….

Good luck

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nothing happened. The rum post was perfectly cordial..

Well done sir!! waytogo

Gitchi Gummi

whenever theres a little tiff because of difference of opinion, I sit back and think how boring life would be if every single person agreed on every single thing.

With that said, that thread looked awfully cordial and about what I’d expect out of that topic. You get opinions going both ways on whatever the subject matter is.

tim hurley

Great people on this site
    One thing that bugs me sometimes when I post is people do not always respect what is asked-so your headline was ‘Rum Drinkers’ so I would say if you are not a rum drinker maybe stay out, your headline was NOT ‘What do you think about rum” I’ve had some people pull my question in all kinds of directions, will my post here change that? Hecks no, so be ready, people here are pretty cool though.

CaptainMusky

I’m not a rum drinker but to heck with others if they find it disgusting drink what you like. I’m sure there are some here.

Gitchi Gummi

I’m not a rum drinker but to heck with others if they find it disgusting drink what you like. I’m sure there are some here.

really? I always thought your username was a play on Captain Morgan

catnip
    south metro

Everyone on this site is a decent person,but the humor and remarks in it is more like working in the trades than a office job. It’s like we are all siblings and you must leave your feelings at the door.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The only thing that bothers me is if you don’t have the decency to respond to all the messages you’ve received. Nothing to be offended by on either of the posts.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The only thing that bothers me is if you don’t have the decency to respond to all the messages you’ve received. Nothing to be offended by on either of the posts.

Depends on the intent of your thread. If you are asking for information you are correct, you should respond. However if you are stating your opinion or looking for opinions or input of others I don’t see a need to respond although you can. My Friday Topics are for discussion by anybody who cares to chime in. They aren’t my opinion nor am I trying to persuade anybody about anything. They are there for people to think about. Hence why I never jump in after the initial post.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Perhaps add some skin thickener to the next cocktail…
    Unless something really off the wall was nixed from the post there is nothing wrong with any of that.

JEREMY
    BP

Want them to make fun of me instead. I only drink beer and Busch Light at that. Even drank a case of the girly peach flavored stuff this past weekend.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have over 4,000 posts, I’m one of the longest termed registered users, and I can’t say that I’m part of any specific group of users or that I get special attention on posts. But I’m still here, and I can explain that, if you want to hear it. However, my take might be a little different.

Have you ever asked yourself, what it is you want out of your participation?

According to your complaint, it suggests that you were hoping to build a little comradery in a specific interest group, and it kind of reminds me of what I hear when people go looking for a church that “fits them.” There’s something about the place that spurs interest, but the minute something slights that comfortable feel, “I’m out of here.”

1. Don’t leave. You cannot discover (or rediscover) the good stuff by being absent.
    2. We’re only human. You’re dealing with people here. Not a specific dynamic or walk of life. We have become a large audience and as easy as it is for two people to disagree, an audience this large is going have someone, if not many, that aren’t really your style or speed.
    3. Post in a giving spirit. You’re sharing something of yourself. If someone digs it, they still may not post a response, but share just to share.
    4. Not everyone monitors this site regularly and they breeze topic titles to refine their areas of interest. Time is limited. A lack of response doesn’t mean your post isn’t interesting or lacking value, it’s just a perceived connection based on the title; thus, you’re now hearing, “I didn’t read the post because…”
    5. Do your best to not take anything personally. Interpretations and differing mindsets cannot be filtered, weeded out, or avoided, unless you create your own clique… on your own site… and review applications.

I have learned since becoming registered member #12, that things change, everywhere, in nearly every facet of life. Everyone here carries the responsibility of building up the community or tearing it down, but does that mean we all share the same vision? No. That’s simply impossible. But here’s a few things I’ve never seen anywhere else:

1. Gatherings. There are friendships in place today simply because of these forums.
    2. Support. When someone posts a tragedy or asks for prayers over a personal matter, someone, if not many, always show up.
    3. Resource. This is, by enlarge, a sharing community. They might not tell you every detail because, face it, we’re fishermen and women, and we want you to catch fish, but not “my” fish. They will share knowledge of technique and give clues of what to look for, and typically supply some options if “this” doesn’t work for you.
    4. Banter. It’s actually allowed here, and that in itself, makes this a special place. I may or may not be largely responsible for that. Rivereyes and I started it waaaay back, and I even got banned for it once (while James was on a trip, so no… James had nothing to do with that decision). I was told “This is a fishing site and people don’t want to come here and waste time reading about things that aren’t fishing related.” James recognized the value in having a community that was free to speak, and surveyed us members with some ideas, and together, it became what it is today.

Together, we learn. Not every day, not every visit, but we learn, we teach, we suggest, and we share. The experience can be an up and down thing, take it in stride, and keep sharing. I’m nobody in this world of fishing/hunting, but I am an ingredient in what this site is.

We all are.

Stay.

Keep your line in the water.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Even drank a case of the girly peach flavored stuff this past weekend.

shock

Lol, I only drink urine water beer too, Mich Golden. I do however enjoy an occasional bourbon, which makes me more manly. woot

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Stillakid, very well said sir. Did not know you had been here that long. bow

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I skipped your rum post because when I was 16 I drank so much spice rum my body just rejects it immediately after is goes in. So I had nothing good to add.

There are some clicks here. That is because there are so many great people on this site. I have had the privilege of meeting multiple members in person. Things have happened, stuff said, and inside jokes created. Even though I have been informed that I am not funny I still try. Sometimes my comment only makes sense to a couple. I try not to derail a new posters question with a joke they might not get if I don’t have anything good to add. Now where did I put my heavy unicorn stickers?

big_g
    Isle, MN

stillakid2’s post got me thinking.. about how long I have been on IDO. It’s gotta be approaching 20 years.. and I am sure all my posts have been quality items ! I don’t drink Rum either.. anything “spiced” is rejected by me because of a run in with some Cinnamon Hot 100 decades ago !!! doah

People come and people go on IDO… who remembers the good old boys club ?!!! doah

Coletrain27

People come and people go on IDO… who remembers the good old boys club ?!!! doah

i can remember way back when it was called in depth angling

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’ve been on IDO 15 years now, and I know there’s lots of guys who’ve been here since before my time!

I miss my fish bucks!!

ThunderLund78

A lot of the reason some have 1000+ posts (myself included) is by sometimes responding in a way that might not totally answer a question or to state their own opinion/spin on the subject in question. It’s how these things work. I just named my favorite hangover cure (which happens to have rum in it) but I did not state my favorite rum, because I guess I don’t have one. Still great advice if you like rum, though!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Very well said Stillakid !

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Stillakid, very well said sir. Did not know you had been here that long. bow

My life took me from spending over 100 days/yr on the water, to fishing 3-7 days/yr. Things just went a different direction for me and thus, I’ve had some lapses in my participation. I still come and go, depending on what I’ve got going, and I’m almost always late in my responses because of it. All in all though, this is still my “Outdoors Home.”

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

It won’t let me copy the quote, but Coletrain27, there were two other site names before IDA came to be.

Coletrain27

It won’t let me copy the quote, but Coletrain27, there were two other site names before IDA came to be.

must of been around 2005-2006 when i found in depth angling

big_g
    Isle, MN

I remember, FTR (Fish the river) FTL (Fish the lake) and EFN (electronic fishing network) before becoming IDA and ultimately IDO.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stillakid2 wrote:</div>

must of been around 2005-2006 when i found in depth angling

I don’t remember the years or span of each one. FTR and EFN were the main sites preceding IDA. FTL was a separate site with a link tab to jump between the two. I don’t know if FTL still exists, as the guy that “banned” me was left the controller/owner of that site after his departure.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I remember, FTR (Fish the river) FTL (Fish the lake) and EFN (electronic fishing network) before becoming IDA and ultimately IDO.

Big G… I think you and I got active on FTR around the same time, and I want to say it was around 2000.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds about right. And that kooty guy … jester rotflol jester

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

It sure doesn’t seem like Mr @mudhole wants to chat much. One response to each person on this thread alone could really boost his post count! whistling jester

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.