Some fine dining here….

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I love pizza and the best part of pizza is the pepperoni. I even make pepperoni sandwiches when I can find the sandwich style pepperoni. This has been on my list for a while, and judging by what was cooked from the stuffer plug yesterday I am going to be rolling in some darned good sandwiches for quite a while.

The six full sticks are 19″ long and the shortie is 14″. The sausage is about 2 3/4″ diameter. Oven finished, no smoke.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

looks good Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haleysgold
    SE MN

So Tom what the heck do you make them from?
    No venison in those right?
    Are they smoked?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Brian, if you’re going to be in town in the next three or four days let me know and stop by and I’ll give you a chunk to try.

They’re not smoked.

These have 17 pounds of pork butt and 6 pounds of venison. Traditional pepperoni has some lean beef in it so I used the lean venison. They’re stuffed in clear casings and finished in the oven @ 200 degrees until a digital probe thermometer registers at least 152 degrees in the center of and end.

The seasonings came from Sausagemaker.com. I used the blend for dry cured pepperoni because it has more flavor to it than the smoked product, however I used the pink quick cure since I finished the sticks in the oven. I added .8 ounces more of crushed fennel seed and 1.75 ounces of paprika to the seasoning blend to help it stand up to the venison.

Its perfect hanging weather right now for drying the sticks a bit and these will get about four days in the garage before vacuum sealing them. I’ll cut the sticks in half to seal them, maybe thirds as they’re sort of long.

riverruns
    Inactive

looks good Tom!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.