Some Fall Notes- Leech Lake

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Other anglers surely do find fall success in the mid-depths of the main lake or in the deep water of Walker bay. My focus however, has been ultra shallow. Shallow water Walleyes seem to set up in predictable locations, depending on wind direction and cloud cover. Light jigs with minnow or crawler, rippin’ raps, hair jigs, or slip bobber and minnow have been the most productive means of boating shallow fall fish. Bite windows are short some days, but these windows can be can be most productive.

We have been working very hard for Muskie sightings, but that is the nature of these amazing beasts. Long days of casting are sometimes necessary to hit these monsters’ feeding windows but the adrenaline filled payoffs can be unforgettable.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0936.jpg

2. RIMG0931.jpg

3. RIMG1016.jpg

4. RIMG1003.jpg

5. RIMG0983.jpg

6. RIMG1009.jpg

7. RIMG1011.jpg

8. RIMG1007.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0993.jpg

2. RIMG0870.jpg

3. 8-30-15.jpg

4. P1090907.jpg

5. RIMG0919.jpg

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Good report Phil and great pics!

I was curious what you look for when looking for locations of shallow fall walleyes? I am usually on the first breaks of most lakes like 8-14′ but never in the shallow stuff. THX

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Thanks Mocha. My favorite shallow spots are rock-to-sand transitions on shorelines and clean sand spots on large shallow weed flats.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Thanks for the info. I will try and find some spots like that over on our local lakes. I have been having a very good fall so far for walleye. Two weeks ago on our local lakes we went out 3 different days and picked up bunches of fish with lindy/crawler and lindy/leechs. Was up at Federal Dam last Friday & Saturday and did very well with limits of very nice eaters each day. Jig/minnow combination. We had fat heads, shiners and rainbows and they all worked the same.

Afisherman

Ok you have my curiosity peaked, what kind of fish is in your photo P1090907.jpg

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Ok you have my curiosity peaked, what kind of fish is in your photo P1090907.jpg

X2!!!

haleysgold
    SE MN

X3 !!!

I can’t believe it took this long for someone to ask that!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Triggerfish of some sort?

Went to Duluth aquarium last weekend and that was my favorite looking fish, had to find its plaque. I think one species of it had some fangs sticking out its mouth which was pretty narly.

haleysgold
    SE MN

So I’m guessing it wasn’t caught in Leech Lake??!!

Maybe just got included in the rest of the pics for giggles and grins…also known as shitz and giggles !

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

X3 !!!

I can’t believe it took this long for someone to ask that!!

Ha,ha, me too!

It’s a Grey Triggerfish from the Gulf, wrong pic file. I’m not sure if there is a way to edit pics here, it is good to know someone is actually reading my drivel )

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’ve been already told by one resort owner “whatever dude” when I said I wanted to fish next weekend out of a boat. With the weather looking like it will hold out, We have to come up anyway to close on some property so I’m serious about fishing and was hoping for people’s input about the best way to approach it?

Am I overly (key word) crazy for wanting to tow a boat up to and fish Leech and Woman lakes this time of year?

What’s the best presentation to use this time of year for walleye? Shallow and slow with cranks or jig and minnow?

Thanks for anyone’s help!

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

No your not crazy at all.

I would think the fish may have moved out a bit deeper but not necessarily. Good luck!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

It’s a great time of year to be out there provided it’s a mild day, which we have had an abundance of. The forecast looks pretty decent for at least a week, I’m planning on being out today and tomorrow. Walleye fishing for me lately has been really good one day and ultra slow the next. If you hit a good bite window it’s well worth it. Shallower spots in 5-10 f.o.w. on the main lake have been best. Casting a jig and minnow way away from the boat has been the key to get bites without spooking fish. Night trolling can be really productive this time of year too with fish spreading out in the same type of areas we would fish in May and June. I have been marking fish in 30′-60′ in walker bay but choose to leave those fish alone.

With the spotty weather we get this time of year, I have been doing mostly solo missions. When the Walleyes don’t cooperate, I just switch to another species.

Good Luck!

Attachments:
    1. DSC00875.jpg

2. 1025largie.jpg

3. DSC00887.jpg

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Thanks. Nice catches!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I love these warm fall periods! I was lucky enough to get a very nice Muskie yesterday but had no luck today, so I decided to change things up. I had one Walleye rod and one Rippin’ Rap in the boat, so I decided to check one spot on my way in. I ended up catching over two dozen Walleyes in just a few hours on that one lure. 46 degree water, talk about fun!

If the weather cooperates, I say go for it catchnrelease!

Attachments:
    1. november10eye3.jpg

2. november10eye2.jpg

3. DSC00942-001.jpg

4. november10eye1.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.