Snowshoe here hunting

• Darell Golly

Does anyone still hunt snowshoe hares? They have always been on my mn bucket list.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve never actually hunted them, but I see them all the time at my hunting property.

I wouldn’t think it would be that difficult, but the biggest issue this year will be snow depth and being able to walk in the woods. Snow is much deeper as you go north this year.

Grouse

Darell Golly

I have a pair of snowshoes ordered, should be here next week. I have land up by willow river, worth trying to hunt there?

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I used to hunt them. Used a 22 with a scope they will run and stop. very fun and good eating. Not as many as there used to be.

catmando
    wis

I have hunted them, look in the tagalders dry swamp. red brush area, use walk a rabbit trail look for their eyes. Like anything eles mushroom soup and a crock pot. they get pretty tough eating toward the end of the winter . A 22 pistols a hoot. DK,

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Used to hunt them. Agree with catmando, look for their eyes. Some years they get white early and stand out like a sore thumb. If there is snow on the ground you may see movement and then they will hold still. That is when you can spot them with the dark eyes. 3 in your game bag is plenty to carry.

Darell Golly

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will be sure to update and post a pic if I get one.

catmando
    wis

Don’t put them in your hunting coat, if don’t like flea’s, put them in a bag tie it up
    I learn the Hard way/Never the easy way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.