Smoking wings?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Do any of you know how to get a good char on wings when smoking them? I have never smoked wings but have had some out of BBQ trailers where they are fairly charred (and really good). I am curious how they get so much char/crust on the exterior.

Any other recommendations when smoking them? Might have to get some going for the Sunday night game!

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

They probably just smoke them and then crisp them up on grill/higher heat. Or just grill them with smoke and call them smoked. Smoking (lower temps) isn’t going to produce that alone.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Maybe a quick dip in the deep fryer.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Start or finish on a very high heat.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Agreed, need high temps at some point to produce a char. Good call though. Wings for the Vikings / Bears game. Of course, that would lead to beer….

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think a fryer is your best bet. You might be able to get some char on them if you switch to the grill(I’ve done this), but in most cases you won’t be able to crisp up the entire skin, just where it touches the grill grates. Throwing them in the fryer would make sure all the skin get’s crispy.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Agreed, need high temps at some point to produce a char. Good call though. Wings for the Vikings / Bears game. Of course, that would lead to beer….

Looking to reproduce the char/bark like the ones the BBQ joint cooks at Fishers. Not sure it’s high heat alone…..but maybe? Possibly there is an extra rub on them that cooks/caramelizes…..

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Looking to reproduce the char like the ones the BBQ joint cooks at Fishers. Not sure it’s high heat alone…..but maybe? Possibly there is an extra rub on them that cooks…..

If I had to guess I would think they start on high heat, and then turn way down and smoke. But I could be wrong. I can’t adjust the temp on my smoker, which is why I would typically start or finish them on the grill.

Having said all of that I deep fried some wings last week again. Simmer the buffalo sauce on the stove with a little vinegar and a big chunk of butter. Man… were they good!….

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I cook/smoke them with indirect heat with a rub then add sauce or not then high heat to get char and caramelized. Does not take much smoke.
    My opinion is a grill is the best route, low heat smoker makes skin rubbery and adds another step to get the chat.

wormdunker

1. add a small amount corn starch to your rub mix, just enough to dust the surface of the wing but not so they are White.
    2. allow wings to sit uncovered in the fridge to “dry” a bit prior, usually a couple hours if possible.
    3. Grill/Smoke either raised as high as you can above the heat OR add a heat deflector. I use a big green egg so either works for me.
    4. Keep temp between 350-375 turn every 10 minutes. Usually take about 30 minutes at 350. Or until the wings appear browned and clear juice is seeping from the wings.
    5. Do not cover the wings when done, covering will allow steam to soften the skin.
    6. I do NOT use any sauce, i prefer properly seasoned dry rub wings., sauce will also soften the skin.
    7. you do not need much smoke, my Lump charcoal adds just enough smoke flavor.

Follow this and you will have crisp skin that everyone would fool anyone into thinking they are fried. i am pretty sure you will never fry a wing again, these will be crisp and charred like you are looking for. I personnaly cant buy wings in a restaurant, these are just too good.

MnPat1

I use a Weber kettle with charcoal and chunks of wood. I try and get the coals hot then layer evenly along the bottom of grill. Adjust vents until I get 300 degrees steady. I cook right on top of coals flipping and moving every 10 to 15 minutes. I do 4 dozen at a time. Crispy skin and the meat isn’t dried out.

For the prepping of the wings I brine,rinse, dry, rub then grill. Sauce if you want.

Attachments:
    1. ADD04C6D-CDAE-40BD-AD54-83C375C2FC38.jpeg

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

For the prepping of the wings I brine,rinse, dry, rub then grill. Sauce if you want.

I never thought about brining them. I’ll have to do that next time. I just learned wings are white meat so a brine makes sense.

Justin riegel

I do a high temp indirect smoke at 300 for 1 hr 15 min or so. They come out crispy and tender.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It is sugar and temp and timing.
    Rubs contain sugar that will char and carmelize. Too hot for too long and it will burn.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I smoke for an hour at 250 and then finish on the grill to blister the skin and add a little char.

Go Spuds

I do a high temp indirect smoke at 300 for 1 hr 15 min or so. They come out crispy and tender.

Agreed–dont need to babysit them as often either/worry about flipping/burning

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Smoke @ 260 ish for an hour then I use the broiler to get the crispy I want.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I use a pellet grill at 350 for 40 minutes. You still get the smoke flavor, but also get a crispy skin.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Dave, Welcome Back! wave

I’ve missed ya! toast

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I highly recommend smoking the wings like you normally would, throw em in the sauce, and lastly heat up the grill and give them a quick char on each side. Taste great and not quite as messy!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Have any of you tried turkey wings instead of the chicken? I found a mess of turkey wings at a local store a year ago for pretty cheap and bought five pounds. I used applewood charcoal left after smoking my venison goodies and had great smoke flavor with some crunch on the skin.

I did a rub just before grilling for some zing and flavor and that really turned out good. I think it had a high sugar content because it caramelized fairly easy. The rub didn’t make the wings seem sweet though after the cooking was done.

I tried half right off the grill and sauced up the other half. Both were great and I can’t say there much difference between the chicken and turkey other than the turkey wings make a nice handle when eating and are not near as messy. The turkey is definitely cheaper.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.