Skunk Spray Removal

• Kraig5858

Veterinary Emergency Services
    ·
    Due to the large volume of phone calls we are receiving about pets being sprayed by skunks, we are posting our home skunk remedy for you. 1 tsp. dawn dish detergent, 1 pint hydrogen peroxide, 1 cup baking soda. Mix in a bucket, pour on animal, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse completely off. Repeat if needed, and keep away from eyes, dispose of waste (DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER). We also have “Skunk Off” for sale.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s the same recipe I use to make scentkiller spray, except instead of dawn I use unscented hunting type soap in a one gallon jug.

Keep lid off for 3 days until outgassing stops. Use dark bottle and or keep in the dark. Hydrogen peroxide comes in a dark bottle because sun exposure turns it into water and oxygen gas…i.e. ineffective. Also why you’ll notice every scent killer spray you buy is in a dark bottle. Mix a gallon for $3 and save yourself some money at FF.

Good to know that’s the best out there for skunk spray.

shefland
    Walker

it works, plan on 3 applications

glenn57
    cold spring mn

no water mixed with the ingredients???????

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Use a quart rather than a pint of HP. No water.

1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap. Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately.

I have a little experience with this. I start out by totally covering the dog with Dawn dish soap. Skunk spray is oil based. Dawn breaks down the oil well. Coat the dog and allow to soak for as long as the dog will tolerate it. Rinse and repeat. Then do the HP + Baking soda mix and same thing apply, soak, rinse repeat. Then 2 wash downs with regular dog shampoo. So you are looking at about an hour of washing/soaking/rinsing for a big dog like my Rott.

If your hands still stink from washing the dog, use vinegar to kill that odor. If you have clothes that came in contact with the stink, you can also wash with some vinegar mixed into the washing machine soap.

-J.

Brad Dimond

A hunting buddy’s GWP has a thing for skunks, she was sprayed three times this year including the Wednesday before grouse opener. We all carry the ingredients for the skunk spray remover in our vehicles when hunting in addition to a few gallons of water for rinsing. Even after two applications the dog will still smell faintly when wet. At least it’s bearable but smell doesn’t completely fade for a couple of weeks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.