SKINZIT

• bdmac

Anyone use a Skinzit? What are your experiences? Thanks!

PmB

I have one and rarely use it. Just another thing to haul and clean. The meat saved is very minimal.

Jonesy

I have one and rarely use it. Just another thing to haul and clean. The meat saved is very minimal.

I thought the main selling point was speed and ease of use.

PmB

For me its faster to use the electric for everything. Mostly filleting walleye, crappie, perch.

PmB

I would sell mine for $75.00
    Pick up in Burnsville mn

glenn57
    cold spring mn

NO WAY i can clean fish with GOOD OLD KNIFE thank you!!!!!!!!

bdmac

Thanks TransAm, I guess that was what I was mostly curious about. Thanks for the response PmB, have never used an electric filet knife. I’ve always used a GOOD OLD KNIFE myself and just wondering if there was something quicker or more efficient. Thank you.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I used a buddy’s once. I’ll never bother with one again. With a good electric knife or real nice hand knife you can do just as good of a job.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

electric knife for all cleaning fast and efficient would only trade mine for cordless

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I would sell mine for $75.00
    Pick up in Burnsville mn

. I’ll give you 50$ with shipping to la crosse wi

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Seems to me it would only be useful in the situation shown in their commercials. Cleaning 100 perch or skinning out 200 fillets. Just don’t ever see myself in that position. Now if you’re a guide or resort out on Devils Lake cleaning up customers catch every day, looks like a nifty tool.

FWIW, I used it once. Took a few tries to get the hang of it. Like they show in the commercial, make sure to tear off the last 1/2 inch rather than letting it pull all the way through. It will start chewing into the meat.

-J.

Jim

I have one and use it on all the time. It’s lightning fast and there is virtually no wasted meat. Best piece of equipment I have purchased for cleaning fish.

roger

Can’t see how it can be faster then flipping the fillet over and using a knife. Pretty much one motion. electric knife or just a fillet knife

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I won one in a raffle at an Ice Fishing tournament the year they came out. I use it a few times a year but not sure it’s worth the price tag. I haven’t tried it much on Panfish but it works well on Walleye. Usually it’s a 2man operation where one person cuts the fillet straight off the fish (including ribs), then the SkinzIt will take the rib bones and skin off. You definitely save meat but not sure it justifies the price tag.

superiorfisherman

I had one and returned it– would eat up fillet and jam– so I gave up!!

riverruns
    Inactive

Cool to see a challenge of a competent fillet person and this unit.

25 bluegills and keeping them boneless. Including the small strip of bones on bottom of ribs.

curleytail

Never used one, but even watching the commercials doesn’t make them too appealing to me. They always seem to show them skinning perch or walleyes which have tough skin and tight scales. Easiest fish of all to skin with a good sharp knife in my opinion. Doesn’t really look any faster either, and I feel I would be slower getting the thing lined up correctly anyway.

Anybody try it on crappies, with their bigger loose scales? Seems like it might not work as well.

I suppose I shouldn’t knock it till I try it, but it isn’t on my list of items to buy.

Tucker

Dave maze
    Isanti

I’m confident the knife wins that race. I watched a guide on low fillet walleyes in about 10 seconds. Perfect and bone free every time. shock bow

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

I have on and its hard to get used to. so i let my dad run it and he has that thing mastered i can be 3 fish ahead of him with fillets and he will be waiting for more in a short time . And it works with sunny crappie perch bass and walleye have not tried a pike.

I don’t run it i just get a mangled mess waytogo

SW Eyes

I’m going to go a step farther and get a machine that does the fishing for me too, and I’ll just lay in the couch and become Jabba the Hut.

Honestly, is filleting fish really THAT much work. If you’re having trouble with a regular knife you have one of two problems (possibly both):

You bought one of the junky $18 knives that dull if you just think about using it, or haven’t filleted enough fish (seriously though, a good blade makes all the difference).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.