wx2000t

• andyjohnson

Looking at buying a used wx2000t I see some with power steering and some without. Was wondering if there is a lot of torque without power steering on a 115yam. Run a few tillers before but nothing over a 75.

Palerider77

Welcome to IDO! I think that the consensus among tiller boat owners is that the power steering is the way to go. It prevents fatigue on the days with the big waves, and is a great safety feature as well.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Welcome aboard AJ Pull up your puter and make yourself at home

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve been running this setup for 2 years with no power steering and I have no complaints. Unlike the 2 stroke tillers I ran before, this motor has no motor torque. The tensioner system on the Yamaha really eliminates any fatigue caused by big waves. Most of the time I leave it loose, but in big waves I tighten it up. I can easily steer but the waves can’t move the motor when I have it set just right. The reel advantage I see to not having power steering is the ability to sort of snake my way through the waves. When I feel the boat wanting to turn because of a big wave I just roll with it and let it turn. It makes the ride so much smoother and drier. If you have anymore questions about this setup, let me know.

igotone

get power steering

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Andy, I’ve ran the boat you’re asking about with both the 115 (no assist) and with a 150 (mertens powered assist) for a lot of hours.

While the 115 was manageable with no assist, I would never go back to no assist on a 90 or larger tiller. You can still buy the non powered assist from Mertens (Titan system) but the powered assist Mertens are getting tough to come by since Mercury bought the patent from Mertens.

I sent you a PM with my cell if you want to discuss further.

Adam

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

last year i ran a 90hp Optimax tiller with no power steering, and now i’ve got a 150hp Yamaha tiller with Merten’s on a WX2000T.

at low speeds i can turn the power steering almost as fast as the old motor when the tension knob was loose. (not quite as fast, but almost.)
    at high speeds the power steering is waaaaaay easier to turn than the old motor with tight tension and i feel much safer / in control of the boat: if my hand slips off the handle i know it’s not going anywhere.
    on long runs the lack of feedback/torque means it doesn’t wear your arm out.
    i also didn’t like fiddling with the tension knob constantly.

i strongly recommend the power steering, even on the smaller motors. the added cost will be well worth it.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

There is a non powered version for tillers also made by Tim Merten.

Its called Titan.

Ive had this on my Yamaha F75 for 5 years and its been flawless.

Its around half the price of the full powered version.

http://titantiller.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.