Skeeter 2019 WX1910 concern about the need of a hydrofoil

• Jim Pat

I am looking to buy a WX1910 but have been reading on this forum about the need of a hydrofoil to improve the performance. Most of the boats that were commented on were 2015 to 2017. I like to hear from owners of 2018 and 2019 WX1910. I am looking at Yamaha 200 4 stroke and 9.9 Yamaha kicker. Also do you owners also feel the need of bigger Minn Kota then the one that is included on the boat? Also any complaints about the tandem trailer. I am going to decide between the Skeeter and Ranger 1880 MS with 150 4 stoke Yamaha. I now own a 2012 Ranger 1850 with a Yamaha 4 stroke 150 and very happy with that engine. In closing I am looking for boat that will do well on inland lakes and on Lake Erie. Appreciate your input and hope to hear pros and cons on the 2019 WX1910.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My Dad’s is a 2015 or 2016(can’t remember). Boat performs great with the 200. No need for a hydrofoil. I’ve seen several 1910s and never seen any with a hydrofoil.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Don’t know about the Skeeter but I have a 2019 Reata 1850 with a 175 Yamaha. If you get an 1880 it’s rated for a 200. Go with that.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Jim Pat, welcome to In-Depth.

I don’t know where you were reading about Hydrofoils but I don’t recall any threads here recently.

The tandem trails are fine, nothing wrong with mine.

Good fishing with whatever you buy.

Jim Pat

Thanks for the input Fife and Dutchboy, it was at this site and a few guys talking about the need for hydrofoil. One had a video, they were 2015 not sure if any other years. The threads were older ones that I was able to fine using google.

Matt, I am not able to go with the 200 on a Ranger 1880, out of my price range. The Skeeter as a better price point for me. If I go with Ranger it has to be a 150.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

also one thing to consider is which 200, yamaha offers two models,inline 4 and offshore v6. there will be a differnce in models.

Smellson

I’ve got a 2016 wx1910 and the boat absolutely needed a hydrofoil (I don’t believe anything has been changed with the newer boats?) I’ve talked to several people with the same boat and it seems like without the kicker the boat is fine without a foil. I honestly didn’t love the boat when I first got it because the holeshot was absolutely terrible especially if you ha$ more than two people in the boat and it would porpoise bad through mid-range speeds, there is just too much weight on the back. I tried changing props and currently run the turbo on mine which helped with getting the rpms up quick but didn’t add any lift. I was hesitant to put the foil on initially incase it didn’t solve all my issues but afterwards it is the best thing I did. Zero porpoise now no matter the load. Bow no longer comes up on takeoff, and I can run much slower on plane when traveling through big waves. Now I absolutely love the boat and the way it can handle big water. As far as trolling motor, I have the 112, but I’m sure the 80 would be fine being that you have a kicker. I rarely run mine higher than half speed. If I’m moving more than 1.3mph or so I can just drop the kicker.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Both nice boats, I wouldn’t underpower a boat just to get it in my price range. Have you looked at the warrior v198?

Jim Pat

Smellson, thanks for you honest input. I will read more info on the Hydrofoil and if I need to go to trim tabs. I know on my 1992 Skeeter 1850 I did go with the trim tabs after a couple of years and what a difference.

Dusty thanks for your input, I will look in to the price of a Warrior. As far as price, I am 77 yrs old and will only buy a boat that I can pay in cash. I will fne tune build my own boat at Ranger and Skeeter to a better idea of price. I know this is not a good time to sell a boat so I am looking at a fair trade. I also looked into ordering a 2021 at 2020 Ranger prices and will look closely into that. I do like the WX1910 but need to read more and watch more You tube on both boats.

All of you stay safe, things will improve but will take time. Wife and I have stayed put in Northeast Ohio for the last 4 plus weeks. It hard not seeing the 8 grandchildren but I look at the long range benefits, my wife and I being around after this is over. This week not easy since this was our time down south with most of the clan. We will do again, looking forward to Easter 2021 and still good times in Ohio for the rest of 2020.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Jim…the videos in those older threads are probably mine. I ran a WX1910 with 200 inline 4 and kicker for 4 seasons from 2015-2018. I played with props, hydrofoil, and trim tabs. The tabs were far and away the best upgrade, just total control. The hydrofoil was probably the most cost-effective upgrade, a very nice performance increase for very little cost.

It’s my understanding that the boat was designed with a 200 SHO in mind, but they ended up delaying a long-shaft version of that motor and so the WX1910 was paired with the 200 i-4 at release instead. With the availability of the 200 SHO in a long shaft now, I’d be sure to get into that motor and then consider trim tabs if it’s in your budget.

The 80lb trolling motor is adequate, but just barely. I prefer to have more than enough power, so the 36v was a big improvement. Same with the 9.9 kicker, upgrading to the 15hp made me much happier. Wish I’d gone with the larger version on both when I first bought the boat.

That’s a great hull and a wonderful layout, it’d be a great match for the inland plus Great Lakes fishing you desribe.

Jim Pat

Mike appreciate all the information. I am 77 yrs old and not sure I want to get into all of this with a Skeeter 1910. I have a great outfit but for peace of mind, I thought it would be best to get a new boat one with a 5 or 6 year warranty. Maybe I am stressing myself over nothing and should just keep my Ranger 1850. I guess since I have to stay home, might as well do some reading and decide if I want to keep my boat or if I buy a new one, do I go with a 1850, 1880 or 1910. Again thanks for the insight of the boat. I do like the layout and all that I have seen. I just dont want a boat that will not give me the ride that I have now. I hope this all makes sense. The the other day my wife says you always wanted a center console boat, why not get one now?

Jim Pat

I didn’t know the VMax 150 Yamaha was a 4 stroke, I might have to look closer at this engine if I cant do a Skeeter. The Wx 1910 that I am looking at has the 200 4 stroke I am also going to look at the saltwater Yamaha.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The 1910 is a great boat. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if I didn’t have a 2060. Like I said before, I can think of 10 people I know that have 1910s with zero complaints. The new ones have the 200 SHO.

Musky Ed

Jim, if you end up looking at a Skeeter center console, make sure you get one with a 25″ transom, for the waters you are considering. I had a 20′ Skeeter bay boat for 5 years when I had my place on the gulf. It was a fantastic boat for there, but had a 20″ transom that didn’t play so well here. Skeeter bay boats are really nice, and reasonable. Keep in mind though, that bay boats sit long on the trailer, so you may need a pole barn to store one. I would give anything for my walleye boat, to be like my bay boat as far as no carpet, and ease of cleanup. When I would get home from fishing with bay boat, while it was going up on the lift, I could just spray it down. Miss that boat.

Jim Pat

Thanks Musky Ed, I doubt at my age that I will go with a bay boat, if I did, it would be Key West 1720 with a 70 Yamaha 4 stroke. I like my type of boat with full windshield. I will have to think about the sho if end up ordering a boat.

Jim Pat

Fife that encouraging news about the people you know with the 1910 and are happy with the boat. If it wasn’t for the virus, I would have one in my drive today.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Jim, Initially on the 1910 there were set up issues with motor height and prop size. There is also a huge difference in the set up based on how the boat is rigged….. There were a hand full of folks that added not only kicker motors but talons and 360s to the transom.

We as a dealership attempt to be pro active based on how your boat is set up which seldom is the same as the factory set up primarily due to elevation differences geographically.

Since we do Warrior, Ranger , and Skeeter , Id like to think we have little bias on the brand but making sure the floor plan best fits your needs in respect to where & how you fish.

Feel free to reach out if you like
    [email protected]

Jerry Sauter

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner, I went through the exact same decision spring 2019. I went with the skeeter 1910 because I liked the layout better, the tandem trailer came standard and out the door price. I have a kicker on mine and a lot of tackle. As to your questions: pre-hydrofoil mine had a light porpoise at mid speed (35-45mph ish), nose was higher than I liked before planing and low speed trim didn’t do much as far as moving nose up or down. I added an edge hydrofoil and it fixed all of these problems. Overall, I wouldn’t say it’s necessary but boat handles way better with it.

Trolling motor- I bought mine with the 80lb and 9/10 times it’s fine. I did switch to a 112lb this year as I found a used one that I wanted. I fish sakakawea and oahe and we fish a lot of wind blown main lake points and on the rougher days the 80 really gets a workout.

Jerry

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

I have a 2018 model WX1910. It is rigged with dual 10’ talons and has a 36 volt Ultrex. I carry a heavy load. This boat performs awesome, and I couldn’t be happier with the performance. Mine has a great hole shot, and the mid range acceleration puts you back in your seat. The boat is like a sports car, it’s fun to drive because it is so snappy. Mine has run up to 52 mph, consistently over 50 and just over 6,000 rpm and throws a rooster tail a mile long. She gets really free at wide open fully trimmed because there is so much lift in the factory setup, it feels like only the very back of the boat is in the water, like a bass boat, it’s fun! Although in bigger chop I just need to slow down or she will catch air, it’s very sporty. Based on the performance of my boat, if you feel you need anything like a hydrofoil or trim tabs then it is just not set up right. Skeeter performance matched this hull to the Yamaha 200 Inline 4 and it really shows. Don’t hesitate for a second. I know of Ranger 620s with 250s that plow water to get on plane. Those particular boats aren’t set up right either.

Smellson

I have a 2018 model WX1910. It is rigged with dual 10’ talons and has a 36 volt Ultrex. I carry a heavy load. This boat performs awesome, and I couldn’t be happier with the performance. Mine has a great hole shot, and the mid range acceleration puts you back in your seat. The boat is like a sports car, it’s fun to drive because it is so snappy. Mine has run up to 52 mph, consistently over 50 and just over 6,000 rpm and throws a rooster tail a mile long. She gets really free at wide open fully trimmed because there is so much lift in the factory setup, it feels like only the very back of the boat is in the water, like a bass boat, it’s fun! Although in bigger chop I just need to slow down or she will catch air, it’s very sporty. Based on the performance of my boat, if you feel you need anything like a hydrofoil or trim tabs then it is just not set up right. Skeeter performance matched this hull to the Yamaha 200 Inline 4 and it really shows. Don’t hesitate for a second. I know of Ranger 620s with 250s that plow water to get on plane. Those particular boats aren’t set up right either.

Do you ever fill your livewell and carry people in your jumpseats? Honestly I love my wx1910 but only after I added a foil. I got by without a foil for 2 years until it just bugged me too much. I do agree with everything else you said about the boat though….it just needs help getting out of the hole when it has added weight in the back.

StonyEye

I cannot help but ask same questions. Is your livewell full? Do you have people in your jump seats? If so, what hole is your motor mounted? What prop are you running? Do you have 200 lbs of jigs in your bow storage? By myself, with no water in livewell, I love driving my WX1910, but….3 people in my boat, water in livewell, what a dog of a hole shot! I wish I could put my trolling motor batteries under rod storage, I do believe that would not only help hole shot, but it would fish with a more level atitude.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I cannot help but ask same questions. Is your livewell full? Do you have people in your jump seats? If so, what hole is your motor mounted? What prop are you running? Do you have 200 lbs of jigs in your bow storage? By myself, with no water in livewell, I love driving my WX1910, but….3 people in my boat, water in livewell, what a dog of a hole shot! I wish I could put my trolling motor batteries under rod storage, I do believe that would not only help hole shot, but it would fish with a more level atitude.

Does your prop have vent holes my old Crestliner 182 TS had an issue with hole shot had them drill the prop for vents totally different boat out of the hole. Hit the throttle rpm`s jump to about 3000-4000 bow barely comes up and she is on plane right now.

StonyEye

I did add vent holes to prop. Looking for any other suggestions.

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

My 2018 has the Yamaha Reliance 18 pitch that it came with and the motor is mounted with one hole showing above the top mounting bolt and two holes showing below. I typically have one fishing partner in the boat or my wife and two very small children. I do recall having two fat guys with me and a live well full of water and noticed in that situation it was slow out of the hole, maybe that is what you are experiencing? But in my experience, nearly all boats are slow out of the hole in that situation? Maybe I just don’t know what normal is? When it’s just me and a partner (which is most of the time) it snaps right out of the hole. I can say I have been in Ranger 620s with 250s with worse hole shot and only 2 people in the boat.

Attachments:
    1. A1599B18-8724-497F-9C19-F49C940D04EC.jpeg

2. 96C6B8F6-E095-451A-968D-F0E3DC9233E0.jpeg

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

More pics of my 2018

Attachments:
    1. EDF51908-04DB-4AF6-A2D3-67F39D28D795.jpeg

2. 571586D2-8E22-44C5-B8B2-7FF7776B5DFC.jpeg

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

A couple more pics

Attachments:
    1. AA41EF68-FAF3-463E-BEDA-617B4F6E1C27.jpeg

2. 44F14366-9D92-4140-8BD7-B05C87428A09.jpeg

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

One more pic

Attachments:
    1. 327FDA93-AD8F-43E4-908A-D790E80759C5.jpeg

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

Oh, I also run 4 super heavy batteries – all Group 31s.

Attachments:
    1. EDAA2E09-F51F-4FEE-9E98-BEC61AF41193.jpeg

2. 729B296F-EA85-4F94-80DB-16D2D43B8F86.jpeg

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

And, yes my tackle storage is full

Attachments:
    1. EB99F7AE-5F58-46EF-BF0A-40EDC44D4C31.jpeg

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.