Silverado EV vs Ford Lightning

• castle-rock-clown

I would like to go electric. I’m in the planning stages of my retirement home and am researching installing solar for both lighting and heating the home and pole barn (small insulated work area inside, and would also charge my electric truck. I’m not brand loyal, just wanting the best for my needs…but, looking at what is all being offered in both these vehicles, I’m wondering what others think and like.

CaptainMusky

FYI the Silverado that will be coming out in Fall of 2023 will be $105k, start saving your pennies. -) Later years they will have more affordable models. If you go for a work truck, those start much cheaper but only have 1 electric motor vs 2. Otherwise I have no real opinions.

Ripjiggen

Pretty sure Ford announced they quite taking orders on the lightning because they have such a long list now. Heard till at least 2023.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

FYI the Silverado that will be coming out in Fall of 2023 will be $105k, start saving your pennies. -) Later years they will have more affordable models. If you go for a work truck, those start much cheaper but only have 1 electric motor vs 2. Otherwise I have no real opinions.

Two trim levels will be available to start. The prices Chevy is quoting—$105,000 for the fully loaded RST on display, and $39,900 for the base and fleet-oriented WT—don’t include destination, which is $1695 on the current non-electric Silverado. Chevy says these two prices represent the bookends of the Silverado EV pricing spectrum and that upcoming trim levels will fall between.

HRG

CaptainMusky

Two trim levels will be available to start. The prices Chevy is quoting—$105,000 for the fully loaded RST on display, and $39,900 for the base and fleet-oriented WT—don’t include destination, which is $1695 on the current non-electric Silverado. Chevy says these two prices represent the bookends of the Silverado EV pricing spectrum and that upcoming trim levels will fall between.

HRG

Yeah I watched the launch video today and my jaw dropped. LOL

queenswake
    NULL

I am just continually disappointed in the styling direction GM is taking the Silverado. That used to be the truck I had and always aspired to since I was a kid. But not in the past couple of generations. And now to make it worse they make it look like the Avalanche on top of the existing styling problems of the Silverado.

The Sierra EV should be better as they haven’t botched that styling lately, but that remains to be seen.

Silverado needs to get back to the square body format that most people want.

john reisch

Solar to heat and light 2 structures + charge an EV? In WI winters?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Sounds like Ford is a little ahead of GM on development and technology. I’d also be looking at the Rivian as a potential. They have the most development time which matters when thinking about the challenges of a whole new category of vehicles. I think GM has $700 million invested in them.

I own a Ram so I’m full hemi for life. If I’m buying an electric vehicle it’s the Corvette E Ray. The new truck tech is cool
    though.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got me a deposit in on the Lightning! waytogo

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

But what if you get stranded in a blizzard and are trapped in your truck for 5 days and your battery runs dead and you get eaten by wolves?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

But what if you get stranded in a blizzard and are trapped in your truck for 5 days and your battery runs dead and you get eaten by wolves?

This. I might go to a dealership just to ask a salesperson this question. I’d love to see their reaction or them try to answer it.

Iowaboy1

OH GOODY!! I get to come up with new acronyms!!
    Ford, Fails ON Rainy Days.
    Chevy, Chitty Heat, Electric Vehicles Yuck !!
    Mopar, Must Offer Pay At Recharge
    Ram, Ran A Minute
    Help me with some more!!

Iowaboy1

GMC, Got My Charge
    there has to more and better!!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

OH GOODY!! I get to come up with new acronyms!!
    Ford, Fails ON Rainy Days.
    Chevy, Chitty Heat, Electric Vehicles Yuck !!
    Mopar, Must Offer Pay At Recharge
    Ram, Ran A Minute
    Help me with some more!!

GMC, Got My Charge
    there has to more and better!!

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Ok, all kidding aside.
    Some of us before we die may be riding in an electrical and/or an “Autonomous Vehicle” before we die,,,, or maybe

when we are carried to the?

castle-rock-clown

Solar to heat and light 2 structures + charge an EV? In WI winters?

My plans include a pellet stove in the house for those intensely cold days and the pole barn is only heated in it’s well insulated work room and only when desired, not continuously. My pole barn rood is south facing and my system is designed for 12kw with the ability to expand if needed. I will be hooked up to the utility and have that as added insurance. During the long days of summer, I may even be able to generate excess that can be sold back to the power company. Either way, it’s better than totally relying on the power company.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

shock

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s the Lightning price structure. Considering ford already has a very popular EV already on the market and has been performing very well, I can’t see Chevy being a top choice here.

CRC, we’re you aware that the Lightning has the capability of powering your home in the event of a blackout? https://www.autoweek.com/news/future-cars/a36490165/ford-f-150-lightning-powers-home/

Tesla can’t even do that currently.

Attachments:
    1. AB0847D6-559C-49B8-B588-B1B0CB529480.jpeg

TH

Cadillac needs to come out with an electric hearse for all the people that say they’ll never go electric. At least their last ride will be in an electric vehicle.

I’d like to hear the comments from horse and buggy lovers, when Henry Ford brought out the first cars. “What do you do when it runs out of gas?” What do you do when gas is $3 a gallon?”

I hate change as much as everyone else but it’s coming.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL. How many people who thought you could never pry a mechanical flasher from their hands now run a Helix or Panoptix? How about those who thought you could never make an electric auger that could perform as well as gas and now will never go back to gas?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

LOL. How many people who thought you could never pry a mechanical flasher from their hands now run a Helix or Panoptix? How about those who thought you could never make an electric auger that could perform as well as gas and now will never go back to gas?

Or everyone who said that cordless power tools would never replace corded ones,,,,

HRG

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Personally I can’t wait. When pulling my wheel house to Red with my GMC 1500 I usually have to fill up in Deer River because I get about 9 mpg then top it off at Kelliher to make sure if I am stranded for a few days I am good. Hope they have recharge stations in Milaca, Deerwood, Remer, Kelliher, and at JR’s. I will probably buy a dedicated 3KW Honda generator for the truck to assure I can move when it’s -28F. With the weight of the battery and all wheel traction motors she should pull like a mule. And if my main wheel house generator goes out and I have a Ford (Unlikely but…) I can still plug the truck into my wheel house and watch TV. Ah the wonder of it all. Maybe they will come up with a replacement heat pump for my furnace in my wheel house and I can run the entire system off my new truck and get rid of the propane as well. How exciting would that be? Come to think of it I might need a 5KW generator for the truck, dang, more money.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Cadillac needs to come out with an electric hearse for all the people that say they’ll never go electric. At least their last ride will be in an electric vehicle.

I’d like to hear the comments from horse and buggy lovers, when Henry Ford brought out the first cars. “What do you do when it runs out of gas?” What do you do when gas is $3 a gallon?”

I hate change as much as everyone else but it’s coming.

It is. The electric auger movement is probably the most applicable example for this group. It won’t be durable enough, batteries won’t perform in the cold, it won’t handle heavy ice, blah blah. I’m skeptical of electric vehicles, but the change is coming and it is not a matter of “if” but “when”. For now I wouldn’t even entertain the move until more models/generations are produced. If I was looking though, Ford clearly is the winner and has a leg up on GM.

The electrical infrastructure is a huge obstacle, but my guess is that electric vehicles will only become more and more efficient with distances between charges and the amount of energy needed to charge them. Expanding infrastructure creates jobs as well and this should be no different (pipelines, highways, wireless networks, bridges and dams, etc). No, we cannot handle every home having electric vehicles. That’s not what the market is attempting now though either. Manufacturers and engineers are “getting ahead” so when tax breaks/subsidies (whether we agree or not) to consumers are pushed and infrastructure simultaneously expands…they have the means to supply the demand and be some of the first to the growing market. That market may not be for those towing a wheelhouse 20 miles out on LOTW or those with extreme uses that our recreation and jobs in MN demand. However, a vast majority of Americans do not live in the same climate or recreate in the same ways the IDO world does.

I remember when Nokia was a leader in cellular devices but failed to embrace the widespread use of touch screens. Everyone had one as they were tried and true, durable, and reliable (like modern ICEs). I too thought touch screens weren’t durable and wouldn’t handle extreme usage. I was wrong. Nokia lost a big chunk of the market with their bets. Who is still using their Nokia block today? Automobile manufacturers and the competition of capitalism are going to bring the change whether we all like it or not.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

So what do you do when you have replace the batteries after a couple of years. I read they are only good for 8 years or 100000 miles. Cost for replacement is 15k to 20k. 100K would be 3 years for me. I will keep my gas truck.

Where do you charge these things if you are in the middle of nowhere on a hunting trip. Hell its hard enough to find gas in some of those areas of the Dakota’s and Montana. Can you charge them on a standard 110v outlet.

Thanks,

RVRDUX

castle-rock-clown

The Ford is very appealing. Some guys are running their Ice Castles off of them. As for me, I will also be installing a natural gas auto start/shutoff emergency generator. Being retired I will be traveling a lot at all times of year and have already experience almost week long power outages. I don’t want to even think about coming home after a trip to frozen and bursting pipes, or a fridge and freezer filled with rotten food.

john reisch

The feds raising the fleet milage standards is driving this. The auto companies manufacture 10% ? of their fleet as EV’s and they meet the requirement of 40-50 mpg regulations that are in place or coming. EV technology will evolve in time, but the ICE is going to be around for quite some time yet. Personally, I wouldn’t want what I consider “1st generation” tech, I’ll wait a few years at least until it’s more perfected.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So what do you do when you have replace the batteries after a couple of years. I read they are only good for 8 years or 100000 miles. Cost for replacement is 15k to 20k. 100K would be 3 years for me. I will keep my gas truck.

Where do you charge these things if you are in the middle of nowhere on a hunting trip. Hell its hard enough to find gas in some of those areas of the Dakota’s and Montana. Can you charge them on a standard 110v outlet.

Thanks,

RVRDUX

I’m keeping my current truck too. That doesn’t mean there won’t be a market for electric trucks. “The middle of nowhere in Dakota & Montana” account for a tiny portion of the country’s population. There are millions of people driving trucks daily who don’t live far from significant infrastructure (or future infrastructure projects).

The batteries and charging capabilities are a big issue. The technology of batteries continues to evolve. According to consumer reports the typical replacement EV battery is around $6k. They are often warrantied to 100,000 miles which at that point don’t magically burn up…rather begin to lose range slowly. For many people that’s not an issue. For me it would be and for you too, but again that doesn’t mean we are a wide representation of customers.

Another thing to factor is that a full charge at today’s electric rates of $0.12 per KWH will cost you probably $12-15 for 200-250 miles. For my truck today those same 200-250 miles are about half a tank, or roughly $45. When you multiply that out with an average fuel price similar to today’s, my gas truck will cost me about $9000 in fuel over 100,000 miles. The EV comes out costing about $2800-3000 to charge per 100,000 miles. This savings plus lower maintenance costs can almost negate the price of a battery replacement.

Again, I’m not racing to by an electric truck. However I think people are blind to just play the “they will never work” card or assume nobody else will use them just because they might not be applicable to everything in the extremities of MN. Automakers know what they’re doing and are all jumping on board to make money.

Leftysrconfused

Wow the world is overly full of weaklings. Everything has to be prissy and slick for these “men”
    Watch me push a button to see just how lazy I can be type of mentality.

I have a corded power drill that has mixed cement for 40 years and still works…would love to see a battery powered tool do that.

I also have a 76 dodge ram that just this year finally is broken in. It will run millions of miles if need be…would love to see the corrosion on your electric vehicle after a couple winters lol.

Yes electric vehicles will be coming to us all asap. Most likely they will be govt mandated someday. It’s funny how the supporters of these electric vehicles think the automotive companies are looking out for the consumers best interest. The “go green” and conserve the planet b.s. is the FURTHEST thought from what the auto manufacturers are trying to achieve.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^They’re after profits. Automakers are just going to produce whatever brings in the money. I’m not sure anyone has denied that. Ford and GM don’t give a s**t about some green initiative. They will hitch themselves to it if it brings in $$$ though. Don’t ever doubt big corporations’ ability to make money in capitalism.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.