Side imaging

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>reddog wrote:</div>
    Heres the screencapture from 08 that totally changed everyting for me.

On this one…. those would be fish on the left I assume?

Yes.
    On my photo, there are at minimum 50 walleyes on the screen. Can you find them?

reddog

On my screencapture, theres 9 walleyes on the left, and several scatttered throughout the image on the right. I love the shadows of the two walleyes on the bottom right. Typcally, the actual fish (white) tells me less than the shadows, and these two shadows scream walleye. Bass and carp even though they have more sidewall, do not show up as well in the white, as the shadow. They cast a rounder shadow than a walleye..

reddog

I see I wasnt the only one in the boat in January. Got two days in February also.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chuck Melcher wrote:</div>

Yes.

Yes.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Yes.

I may have just thought rocks without this conversation… or doubting I was actually seeing what I wanted to…. The areas circled are rather void compared to out a little further from the boat, correct?

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2019-02-20-at-10.32.27-AM.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have quite a few guide trips each year where my client wants nothing more than to learn how to use what he has. I jump in their boat, go for a ride and watch what they do and find out what they think they see.

In random order, here is the most common things I observe:
    1. partial interference with transducer. Set-up by whomever was done incorrectly
    2. Settings are not set up for optimal view (screen speed/boat speed/sensitivity)
    3. Lack of confidence

Its usually pretty quick you find out how fast and how people search. Some want to view at 1.5mph, some at 6mph, and others in between.I’ll adjust their screen sppen to the boat speed to get the clearest image. Then tweak the sensitivity up/down as needed.

Drive around, mark objects, fish, snags,….
    My favorite is always spring walleyes when everyone thinks deep channels. We mark white streaks along the top or edge of a drop off. Spin the boat around and cast to them. Bang, pull up that first nice eye almost instantaneously and have the customer say “Well F-Me, that was easy”.

reddog

Correct. Its hard to scale images, but you can assume if scanning speed is constant, that a larger images are larger fish.

Heres a picture from Jan 2.. and the associated screen capture to follow.

Attachments:
    1. frustration.jpg

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Fish look like grains of rice. In that pic, their shadow is very close, meaning they’re hugging the bottom. If the shadow was far away, it would show that they’re higher up in the water column.

Check out Wayne P at the Humminbird site. The guy is an expert.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133
    http://bb.sideimageforums.com

reddog

A couple walleyes outside the ice line, but more tucked back under the ice. We could coax them out, but it took some time..

Attachments:
    1. ice2.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The areas circled are rather void compared to out a little further from the boat, correct?

Almost seems that way, but the sonar is more intense closest to the boat and they blend in with the bottom more. There’s at least a dozen combined in the circled areas. You’ll also note that I’m riding over a break between dunes and most fish are in relation to dunes.

On this day I wiped my waypoints and spent two hours marking walleye schools while fishing, so I could “map” the fish on this flat. Without SI I wouldn’t even be fishing this area.

Attachments:
    1. FOTO_20190220_111007.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Here you see I was going faster. You see many more dunes on the screen. Fish look like dots rather than rice. This was probably 3-4 mph. I stopped the boat to take a picture which is why screen shows a slow speed.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190107202546191.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I was either at a crawl or spotlocked with a scroll speed of 4.

Fish are long rice and you see that a single dune consumes the screen.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190107205021212.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

In all the images I attached. I will focus on the biggest fish. Sometimes your rewarded.

Pretty fun when you know what your casting to and to catch it! Well dam that was easy! )

Attachments:
    1. Snapchat-1143460635.jpg

reddog

Randy. I agree with everything you posted but I’d rate the confidence factor as huge. In order to utilize this technology, you must learn it and also use it. My screens have stayed the same for many years. As much side imaging as I can get and still leave a slice of GPS.

Chuck Melcher

I was either at a crawl or spotlocked with a scroll speed of 4.

Fish are long rice and you see that a single dune consumes the screen.

I would have never thought those were fish, in either of the last two images – but it makes sense once explained.

3. Lack of confidence

Yea, I have no doubt this is huge – and in my case maybe even more significant than settings.

I don’t get to fish rivers often so my experience is limited when I think about it…. I’ve spent more time in lake looking for suspended stuff. Think I need to spend time getting confident on shorelines and such first.

Great conversations – except I’m not getting any work done )

Chuck Melcher

A couple walleyes outside the ice line, but more tucked back under the ice. We could coax them out, but it took some time..
    Attachments:

I can say if I was seeing this, I would never look at it – only confident I was seeing nothing of interest at all. A lot of experience and confidence would be needed for me to gain from that view…. impressive how you guys do it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just because screen size has been tossed around…I often have multiple views pulled up. Here is a great image of being able to view t6hings in multiple ways as once. If 2D only, I would see the “Clump” of what?? The down image clearly shows the logs and plain sand bottom. But the side scan shows that only a few of the logs are holding fish

Attachments:
    1. TL-timber.jpg

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Here a few of my favorite shots on the Lowrance using Side imagine

Attachments:
    1. lowrance-SI.jpg

2. lowrance-side-image.jpg

3. lowrance-si-1.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

another view. One of the man made reservoirs I frequently fish. The summer crappies and walleyes use the old creek bed as a freeway and often hug tight to the edges. Finding these sweet spots of widening/forks in the creek give me a lot of spot-on-the-spot to concentrate on. 1/2 hour of driving around and dialing in these added bonuses, I can narrow down the amount of water I need to cover to stay on higher percentage areas

Attachments:
    1. Crappies-on-the-creek.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here a few of my favorite shots on the Lowrance using Side imagine

Calvin, that shot of SI 1 tells ya to grab the EXTRA bag of jigs!!!!

reddog

another view. One of the man made reservoirs I frequently fish. The summer crappies and walleyes use the old creek bed as a freeway and often hug tight to the edges. Finding these sweet spots of widening/forks in the creek give me a lot of spot-on-the-spot to concentrate on. 1/2 hour of driving around and dialing in these added bonuses, I can narrow down the amount of water I need to cover to stay on higher percentage areas

Nice to see that I’m not the only one that likes the range of 455!

Heres an image. Some will know what this is.

Attachments:
    1. hoop.png

reddog

Heres a small pod of walleyes and 1 rough fish up off the bottom from my Terrova.

Chuck Melcher.. Sent you a PM..

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

More like pitch about 60′ away from the boat and get the net.

Attachments:
    1. 2016-Cal-Rainy-River-1.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Just because screen size has been tossed around…I often have multiple views pulled up. Here is a great image of being able to view t6hings in multiple ways as once. If 2D only, I would see the “Clump” of what?? The down image clearly shows the logs and plain sand bottom. But the side scan shows that only a few of the logs are holding fish

I don’t see the few logs that are holding fish. can you circle where the fish are holding to the logs? Thanks this discussion has been super informative.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Don’t want to sidetrack the discussion with name brand debates but which units do all of you guys have?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

like I said, there wasn’t many. I relate it to grouse hunting. My eyes are scanning the image for any white spec that resembles what I’m looking for

FYI – these images are from the original release of the H/bird 1197. By today’s standards, they are OLD

Attachments:
    1. TL-timber_LI.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

More like pitch about 60′ away from the boat and get the net.

jester jester jester jester on my tiny phone screen, they all looked like beetle kill dead fall on a mountain side

nice stick-eye

reddog

Don’t want to sidetrack the discussion with name brand debates but which units do all of you guys have?

Mine are Humminbirds.. Started out with a 997, added a second, then a 1197, then an 1198, then an Onix 10, then a Helix 12Si for the bow, and now a Solix 12 on the console. (over a period of 10 years) I am not comfortable with mega…. yet, I do not like losing range. With that said, I may get rid of my Solix 12 and get a Helix 12 SI G3 for the console, now that they have increased the range with Mega+. I think my favorite unit was the 1197 or the 1198. That may be where the largest learning occurred.. Ive always said, Figure out which sized screen maxes out the budget….. and then order the next size up. Make it hurt a little but it only hurts a little while. Randy, Do you use SI enhance often? I
    ve tried, and I guess Ive never seen an enhancement. )

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve learned a ton here. I’m not comfortable with side imaging. But I want to add it to my boat this year. Thanks for the awesome responses

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

like I said, there wasn’t many. I relate it to grouse hunting. My eyes are scanning the image for any white spec that resembles what I’m looking for

FYI – these images are from the original release of the H/bird 1197. By today’s standards, they are OLD

thanks Randy I see them now.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Mine are Humminbirds.. Started out with a 997, added a second, then a 1197, then an 1198, then an Onix 10, then a Helix 12Si for the bow, and now a Solix 12 on the console. (over a period of 10 years) I am not comfortable with mega…. yet, I do not like losing range. With that said, I may get rid of my Solix 12 and get a Helix 12 SI G3 for the console, now that they have increased the range with Mega+. I think my favorite unit was the 1197 or the 1198. That may be where the largest learning occurred.. Ive always said, Figure out which sized screen maxes out the budget….. and then order the next size up. Make it hurt a little but it only hurts a little while. Randy, Do you use SI enhance often? I
    ve tried, and I guess Ive never seen an enhancement. )

Thanks reddog that’s good to know I was actually looking at the Helix 12 SI G3. Might have to wait for that to come down in a price a bit for me though

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

All my attached pictures are on an 1199. I do have a helix 12 but I keep that running 2d & map.

I have no desire to use mega…or chirp )

It’ll be a few years before I decide to jump onto the next latest and greatest… Which if I had to make that choice today I would run Garmin.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.