Shook Up….

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Well, my day did not get off to the best start today. While walking my dog in the woods this morning, we happened across a young, mentally disabled man who apparently had been out there all night in nothing more than pajama pants and a windbreaker. Cops and paramedics showed up quickly, and he should be allright, but it was a really freaky experience. I’ve never seen somebody with that kind of frostbite and hypothermia before… I guess just a reminder to check in on the elderly or mentally handicapped you may know when the weather gets like this.

Sorry for the PSA, just needed to vent that. Like the title says, it shook me up a bit. Never seen anything like that before and hope I never have to again.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Just thank God that is how you found him. Dead would be not be a good find. He’s fortunate that you came by. Nice work! waytogo

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

That’s what my fiance said Tom. “At least you didn’t find him tomorrow…” Having a hard time seeing it that way tho for some reason.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I sure wouldn’t apologize. Too easy for us all to become complaisant in our lives with this bitter cold and just hustling in and out of our routines. Like Tom stated, this individual is very lucky you came by when you did. Large scale frost bite is horrid and the affects of hypothermia can be worse than many think.

Kudos for being involved! waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A couple years back a guy and his son were scouting some turkey spots not very far from the city limits here in Rochester’s north side and found the remains of a guy leaning up against a tree. He’d been there a while. Long enough that the found bones in his clothes. Quite a find for a young, first-time hunter let alone an adult. This deceased person was challenged to a point too and those who were his caretakers simply thought he left town. How cold is that line of thinking?

Sometimes it takes a bit to realize just what occurred and how serious the situation is or how bad things could have turned out. You did good given what you were handed. And I will tip my hat to you for being in the right place at the right time. Some things are just meant to be.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

You more than likely saved this young mans life.
    I’m a firm believer in and agree with what Tom said…Some things are meant to be.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Thanks guys, I really don’t think I did anything special though. I was just in the right place at the right time I guess. My dog deserves all the credit actually, as I may not have even seen him laying behind a log had she not alerted me. It was definitely an eye opening experience and something that will probably take some time for me to really wrap my head around.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow! Right place, right time for sure, but things like that happen for a reason. waytogo

I’ve been there. You don’t forget things like that. My wife and I once pulled an unresponsive kid from the bottom of a pool, and I can still picture the near-death expression on his face. He lived, too, thankfully.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Congratulations for doing your civic duty. I’m afraid lots in this world would have walked away…
    Sorry for the shock. The first dead body is the worst tho.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might not get over the first dead infant.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good job getting involved. applause

gary d
    cordova,il

Job well done!!!! applause

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Nice job Nate..if it wasn’t for you this man would of been dead for sure.

FryDog62

As the older brother of a mentally handicapped man – THANK YOU!

Pete S

As the father of a 13 yr old with developmental disabilities that deserves an “atta boy” of epic proportions. Well done.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Thanks again all of you for the kind words. Like I said though, I only did what I’m sure any of you would have done had you found yourself in the same situation…

Called the police department today to see if I could find out how (Travis) was doing. They couldn’t release a whole lot of information to me, but sounds like they were able to stabilize him before paramedics took off for the hospital. That seems to be where the line of communication ends. He couldn’t really speak to what kind of skin\ nerve damage the poor guy might have, but it sounds like he’s going to be “okay”….

Like many of you, I spend a lot of time out in the elements, but would like to think I’m as prepared as possible. This was a shocking reminder of how bad exposure can get if something unexpected happens and you are forced to spend a night outside. I know I’ll be thinking a little more along the lines of “worse case scenario” from now on when I head outside in the cold for long periods of time.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Scary deal for sure. Luckily you were at the right place at the right time. Did you ever talk to the parents/caregivers or hear how he got out there? Was he a long ways from his house?

jmaj101
    Hastings,MN

I having a mentally challenged uncle just think of this and it makes me get shook up let alone what happened to you! You literally are a true life saver and to think of this persons family and how much you saved them from a tragic time in their lives. My hat is off to you for helping this person and I hope you feel extremely proud for what you saved from happening!

wkw

Very nice job, Nate

silverstreak
    West Union, IA

be happy that you were able to help, my inlaws coundn’t help a young man when he swam after a dog in the mississippi. The guy was babysitting the dog for a friend and took it for a swim in 40 degree water, after the dog wouldn’t come back to shore he dove in and swam to the dog, onhis way back he went under 10′ from dock in 40′ of water(main channel). the inlaws did save another life as they wouldn’t let guy’s friend jump in after him. they never seen him come up. body was found later in the day.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Atta boy, give yourself a pat on the back. Think back a few years, pre cell phones. You would have had to run home to make the call. You are a hero to that mans family, and the ido family too, after reading this thread. Even with full on training and years of experience in first aid, some situations require a deep breath or two before the training kicks in, so you did a fine job.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

@out_fishing

I did not get a chance to talk to the guardians at all. They don’t really give out personal information like that, and I didn’t really push the issue either. From what the responding officer told me though, I think Travis lives in fairly close proximity to where I found him. More than likely within a few blocks.

The woods I found him in, is about an 80 acre block of hardwoods with some creeks, and thick patches throughout. Not exactly what most of us would consider “being lost in the wild”, but to somebody who’s mentally challenged when its dark and that cold, I’m sure he felt like he was in the middle of the yukon….

At first, I found myself wanting to cast blame on somebody for not watching over Travis like they should have been, but I don’t think it was like that. From talking to the officer, it sounds like his guardians were very concerned and noticed pretty quickly that he was gone. When its night time and negative temps out though, what are you going to do? They called the authorities, and I was told they actually went looking in that woods twice during the night, but never found him.

My mom had to care for my uncle for two years before he passed, as he battled dementia, so I know how hard it can be. I do not know a lot about Travis or the home he comes from, but I’m going to assume that his guardians do the very best they can for him. Caring for somebody who may be physically able, but not mentally, has got to be one of the hardest things in the world.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

That’s great that you were able to help him.

My dad was walking his dog a month after a local girl was abducted. His dog dug up a white tails rib cage along the road and for the briefest of moments dad said his heart stopped.

Always been a fear of mine to reel up a body or find one in the woods.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.