Shingles……Anyone gone through a bout with shingles?

• uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

Any good advice on dealing with pain and discomfort? How long do I have to endure? Give me some positive outlooks, I want hope for a speedy recovery!
    Uncle Glen

CaptainMusky

Hopefully you went in and got Valtrex. I had it probably 15 years ago, it was very painful and itchy as all get out.
    I went in because of this rash, no idea what it was and the doc said “I am giving you Valtrex”. I said, isn’t that for herpes?! She laughed, yes, it is but shingles/chicken pox apparently are a similar strain to herpes or whatever and get treated the same way.
    I think I was mostly better in a week. The itchy and burning was the biggest problem and hopefully you can get the ointment to apply so it isn’t so dang itchy and you can reach the affected area.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i didnt get the shingles but got the vaccine for it. its 2 shots 2 to to 6 months apart. had a friend acctually get the shingles twice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the reminder for the shots. I don’t believe in flu shots, but this one seems to have a great track record.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks for the reminder for the shots. I don’t believe in flu shots, but this one seems to have a great track record.

i dont do the flu shot either. they nailed me with the shingles a pnemonia shots though!!!!!

FryDog62

i didnt get the shingles but got the vaccine for it. its 2 shots 2 to to 6 months apart. had a friend acctually get the shingles twice.

I’ve thought about getting the shingles shot – do you know what the minimum age is to get the shot, and how long it lasts? Do you have another round of shots say 10 years later, or can you only get the injections once? Thx!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I’ve thought about getting the shingles shot – do you know what the minimum age is to get the shot, and how long it lasts? Do you have another round of shots say 10 years later, or can you only get the injections once? Thx!

i am not 100% positive, but my understanding there is an age requirement. i’m 61 years young. it is also my understanding its a lifetime thing. the shot series i got is supposed to be a newer version. ONE THING TO NOTE……….. before i got the shots the nurse said to check with and verify this particular, new vaccine was covered by Ins which i did and was. as with most Ins make sure the clinic codes it as preventive!!!!!!!!!

i am with the centracare system in the st cloud area and participate in there mychart system. i was a bit sceptical being and older fellar with technology but i tell ya what i love it. you can ask questions andthey get back to you in short order!!!!!!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There are two shingles shots out there, one, and the least effective, is a one shot and done thing. The new vaccine in two parts is hard to find right now. I think the shingles has a minimum age of either 60 or 65, I’ve had mine a while with the bad lungs, but have the written prescription for the new two part to get it as soon as it becomes available again locally. The new vaccine is dosed as one injection to start and a second to finish a short time later…..weeks or days I am not quite certain. I know I don’t want shingles because of all the peripheral crap that can come with the illness so as soon as I can I’ll be using the prescript.

I suggest getting the pneumonia shot, as its called, as well at 60. Get the latest Prevnar vaccine offered.

On the flu shot stuff. Its not the flu itself that a person needs to be aware of….its all the other garbage that the flu will drag in with it….most specifically pneumonia and respitory stress. If you smoke or have smoked, have any cardiac issues at all, a flu shot is advisable. The shot won’t always stop you from getting the flu but it can lessen the chance that you’ll be severe enough to let these partner illnesses get a toe hold. And the flu isn’t always a contact-spread illness. You can be exposed by sitting at the bar enjoying a Hamms or while eating a burger with the wife some evening at Friday’s if someone having the flu but not severe symptoms is sitting behind you and hacking or sneezing. Not everyone covers a cough or sneeze. And lets not ignore those cute grand-kiddies that sit all day in daycare with thirty or forty other kids who may or may not have been exposed to the flu.

FryDog62

Good info Tim, Tom and Glenn – thx. Sounds like the vaccine will work for approx 5 years, maybe longer. Was hoping it would last a lifetime but that’s the way it goes. I’m turning 57 soon so I’ll have to decide when.

I’ve known a few people that have had shingles and it sucks. A distant relative year’s ago started in the torso and spread to the face/eye and she eventually went blind, so nothing to mess with..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve known a few people that have had shingles and it sucks. A distant relative year’s ago started in the torso and spread to the face/eye and she eventually went blind, so nothing to mess with..

And just like chicken pox, it can go internal too. Then you have a serious issue.

milemark_714

Good info Tim, Tom and Glenn – thx. Sounds like the vaccine will work for approx 5 years, maybe longer. Was hoping it would last a lifetime but that’s the way it goes. I’m turning 57 soon so I’ll have to decide when.

If possible,you may want to wait for the Shingrix vaccine,it works better and lasts a lot longer than the Zostavax one.The 2-part one is in short supply,know a few that are waiting for it.

FryDog62

“If possible,you may want to wait for the Shingrix vaccine,it works better and lasts a lot longer than the Zostavax one.”

If it lasts longer than say 4 hours do I have to call my doctor? lol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

“If possible,you may want to wait for the Shingrix vaccine,it works better and lasts a lot longer than the Zostavax one.”

If it lasts longer than say 4 hours do I have to call my doctor? lol

hello………….i’d call everyone i know!!!!!!!!!!!! devil blush yay rotflol

klang

From Mayo’s site

People looking to receive the shingles vaccine have two options: Zostavax and Shingrix.

Zostavax, which was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2006, has been shown to offer protection against shingles for about five years. It’s a live vaccine given as a single injection, usually in the upper arm.

Shingrix was approved by the FDA in 2017 and is the preferred alternative to Zostavax. Studies suggest Shingrix offers protection against shingles beyond five years. It’s a nonliving vaccine made of a virus component, and is given in two doses, with two to six months between doses.

Shingrix is approved and recommended for people age 50 and older, including those who’ve previously received Zostavax. Zostavax isn’t recommended until age 60.

The most common side effects of either shingles vaccine are redness, pain, tenderness, swelling and itching at the injection site, and headaches.

As with the chickenpox vaccine, the shingles vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t get shingles. But this vaccine will likely reduce the course and severity of the disease and reduce your risk of postherpetic neuralgia.

The shingles vaccine is used only as a prevention strategy. It’s not intended to treat people who currently have the disease. Talk to your doctor about which option is right for you.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

I got it when I was about 25 years old, hurt and itched like hell and I didn’t know what was going on to be honest. I don’t remember what the treatment was, sorry I cant be much of help on that, hopefully you feel better soon. I think the majority of the discomfort went away within 3 or 4 days of going to the doc, but I vaguely remember a few areas still being sensitive a month or two later.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I had internal shingles about 30 years ago, back when there was no meds or shots. I thought I was going to die. I could only lay in bed and sweat so profusely that I would soak the sheets and pillowcase. I went to the dr. and he suggested I load up with benadryl. My fiance finally helped me take a couple of hot (almost scalding) baths and finally after a couple weeks the fever broke and I was on the recovery path. I don’t get the shots but if I hear of chicken pox or shingles anywhere close by I run like a deer. I had no exterior signs of any sort. Nasty crap!!!

nord

My wife had the first shot 5 months ago, and she still has a lot of pain and tenderness at injection site. She’s been back to the doctor twice and they just tell her to take some Advil for the pain and that it will go way eventually.They did say that maybe she had some tendonitis and the shot may have inflamed it. I’m beginning to wonder.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My wife had the first shot 5 months ago, and she still has a lot of pain and tenderness at injection site. She’s been back to the doctor twice and they just tell her to take some Advil for the pain and that it will go way eventually.They did say that maybe she had some tendonitis and the shot may have inflamed it. I’m beginning to wonder.

the first shot i had no issues, the second one, yea my arm was sore and red in the injection area. went away after a few days.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My mother in law had heard from a friend that she had several friends down with shingles cases this winter.

MIL called her clinic to seek advice re the vaccine as she had not had it and is over 65. They told her in no uncertain terms to get in to the clinic NOW for a shot!

In process of getting the shot, nurse mentioned it has been a terrible year for shingles. Could be coincidental but they were already in take no chances mode.

Grouse

Matthew Sandys

I’m about four weeks into it and sorry to hear. It is something I don’t wish on anyone. I will be getting the vaccine. If they will let me. I’m not even 40 yet.

uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

I did have the zostafax vaccine about 6 years ago, I guess I was unlucky, It’s on the right side of my head and neck, and I’m miserable, going back to clinic tomorrow on Dr.s advice.

Lagoona

Got it during a week long fishing trip at Isle Royale. I slept on a wood floor hut, in a sweat soaked sleeping bag. Dreaming of giant lakers took my mind off it though.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I got shingles about ten years ago while on the way to Montana for a elk hunting trip. It was on my abdomen and my back. Very very painful to say the least. My back pack straps hit it perfectly front and back. But I wasn’t wasting my tag so I toughed it out… which probably made it worse. I still have nerve pain in my abdomen from it. My doctor said it will probably last the rest of my life. Shingles can be very dangerous—as in internal damage, loss of sight and more. Get the shot!!!

Shirley Valdes

I’m going through a bout of shingles right now. The blisters and scabs have gone but there is a spot on my right side that is SO painful. It feels like I was scalded with hot water and there is a jabbing pain that begins as soon as I get up in the morning and does not go away. It only lets up if I put pressure on it…. like holding my hand on it….but I can’t go around all day with my hand on my side.

My doctor has me on valacyclovir, prednisone and gabapentin. The gabapentin is supposed to be for the pain and I began it on March 15. It is now March 23rd and I have had NO relief from this pain. Has anyone else had this same pain and taken this same medication for it? Do I have to wait a long time for it to work or is it just NOT working for me? Also, has anyone else had results for their pain with something else?

Thanks a bunch!!!

catmando
    wis

My x father in law was one tough farmer, he got the shingles in his eyes, he suffered something awful. I hope to god, I never get it

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been lucky so far, but many in our family have suffered through it. There is no magic cure, no crystal ball to look into, and every case varies in severity.
    Mom had it and it was just a few small areas on her back and legs. Past pretty quick for her and by a month she was fine. My Father was begging to die. Back, neck, head.. was awful. In addition yo the day time pain, he scratched them to a bloody mess in his sleep. Ended up with infections and took about 7 or 8 months to get through it. His was extreme and had quite a few doctor visits.
    My uncle had small ice packs he used to relieve some discomfort and itching. When he got miserable, he put small ice packs on the worst spots and got through it in about 5 to 6 weeks.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.