Self Inflating PFD

• Bartman

I have a couple Mustang inflatables that are 6 years old. Wondering if I need to do anything to properly maintain them. A couple years ago I took an 8 year old inexpensive Cabelas inflatable that had been left in the boat over the winter and strapped it onto my grandson. He jumped into the pool and I was amazed at how fast this thing deployed. I did this because apparently ur not supposed to let these things freeze and I was curious to see if it would work.

I bought the Mustangs after this and have been careful not to leave them in freezing temps. When I fish I wear the PFD 100pct of the time.

No children or animals were injured during this test…..

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The Mustang website says to not use in temps under 32 degrees. Did not see anything about storage in below freezing temps.

http://www.support.mustangsurvival.com/hc/en-us/articles/360061174714-Why-can-t-I-use-my-inflatable-in-freezing-weather-

I’m in the same boat as far as age on my 2 Mustang vests. (Going on year 7) My plan is to test them this year when the water warms up to swimming temps. Will be putting them on and jumping in. Then do a re-arm. I’ll post back with the results.

My guess is most all inflatable companies will recommend a more frequent re-arm due to liability risk.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

By manually inflating them and leaving them over night, you’ll know if you have a leak.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.