Savage Gear Spinning Rod

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Anyone have experience with Savage fishing rods? I found a Savage Gear 7’0 Squad Walleye Spinning rod for $60. I don’t know anything about Savage rods but it feels nice and for the price I thought I might give it a try. Looks like they normally retail for $100. I was planning to buy another Fenwick HMG as I have a couple others which I like but thought I would see if others have an opinion on the Savage Rod and if this would a good fit. Thanks!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have heard from a few people that they are pretty good quality. I’ve never fished with one but you’re right, they feel pretty nice in the hands.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

For $60 and you like the way it feels, buy it. $60 does not buy much anymore.

stevenoak

I’ve used their saltwater lures. They are very well built. No experience with rods.

acarroline

Sixgill is having a “open box” or demo sale via Facebook. 50% off. I’ve hard good things about their gear on here, but don’t own any. Hard to not buy something on this sale and try it…but the garage looks like a tackle store already.

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I own 2 savage gear squad walleye rod in 7’ML and 7’3″M. I find my self using the medium light more then the medium when pitching a jig and leech combo or pulling lindy rigs. The medium works well for casting jerkbaits and rattle baits.

Both suck for snap jigging and ripping jiggin raps or shiver minnows, there is too much play in the tip and it wobbles like a spring door stopper when you drop it on a slack line after the snap. I tried both braid and mono with similar results.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.