Trout stamp

• packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Ok I was wondering if anyone knew if I need to buy a new trout stamp for the opener on April 16 (MN) or is mine still good from last year that I bought with my fishing license last year?
    I have sent a email to the dnr, but have heard back yet.

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

Yes, need a new one together with the new license.

It’s a yearly collection of a luxury tax!

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Opps, I might not have worded that properly. My fishing license shows that it expires 4/30/2011, also on the license it just has “Trout stamp validation” but it does not show a expiration date. So would I need to buy and trout stamp now and May 1 buy a new fishing license, or does the trout stamp expire with the fishing license?
    Thank you.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

yes it’s still good

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

INCORRECT!!!

Regardless of what people or even anyone at the DNR offices may tell you over the phone. The license states:

Expires Feb 28th, 2011 (unless noted elsewhere)

The only place my license has it noted elsewhere is next to the Res Ind Angling line and it reads 3-1-10 thru 4-30-11. there is nothing next to the Trout Stamp Validation line which means that it expired on 2/28/11.

The reason I say regardless of what the DNR office might tell you is beacuse a CO may interpret the law differently or exactly how your license states it. Just don’t take that chance. Either way, you are still buying one every year.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Sent: Thu 4/7/2011 7:35 AM
    Subject: RE: Trout Stamp

Yes, like your fishing license, it is valid thru April 30th, 2011.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I wanted to argue… but biggill’s right… the trout stamp specifically expires on the 28th of Feb.

Wow… I’m glad you said something.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Sent: Thu 4/7/2011 7:35 AM
    Subject: RE: Trout Stamp

Yes, like your fishing license, it is valid thru April 30th, 2011.

While this may be true and is what they are currently practicing, it is not what the license says. A short eamail from a DNR office tells me that they did not take time to think it thru and give a dependable answer. My question is: Why does my stamp/license state that it is expired?

It has been this way for about 2 or 3 years now with no official clairification yet. I will remain skeptical until I see it written on my license.

Like I said before, a CO may come along some day and interpret it exactly as it is written. I don’t feel the need to take that chance. Either way, you still buy one stamp per year. March-February or May-April is still 12 months for $10.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.