Downrigger wire

• lookin4fish

I have 2 downriggers but both have only about 80 ft of wire on them. I want to put at lease 200 ft on. what poundage of wire should I put on? the max balls I will be running is 8 lbs since they are older cannon easy trolls. I am brand new to downriggers so any advice on releases or anything else would be helpful. I am also wondering how you run a second line on the same rigger well above the ball?
    thanks!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have all your answers. There are MANY options. PM me and I can get u everything u need to know to start up. There is a lot of info, most of what I do know took time to figure out through articles and websites as well as http://www.glangler.com — I’d be happy to help, what city are u in? -Mark

1. SS wire can order from many places, marine general, cabelas and maybe Gander. Can walk in a get too. 400’spool

2. i hear the blacks release is the bomb. u can adjust rod load and trip load seperatley, i WILL be trying one this year. currently i am running pinch pads by Scotty or off shore.

3. you can use either one or 2 rods for a slider rig (2 lines off one rigger) there is a spring clip that you can attach a release on to then clip that say 10′ above the bottom line.

–for example, let out 50′ of line with the rod you are going to run on your ball release attach it and then lower the rigger ball 10 feet, hook the spring clip to the rigger cable then let back 30′ on rod 2 then hook line into the release u attached to the spring clip. then try to work both the lines down to depth, it can be difficult alone.

or the Death Wish Slider which is one rod, easier to use but it hard to explain… and then there is your SWR line too… Its like opening a can full of worms man!!!

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i have a lot of info too, where do you live this summer i would be happy to take you out and show you what i know

lookin4fish

any specific poundage of wire? i assume thinner is better but when is it too thin that you risk loosing the weights?

lookin4fish

one other thing too…have you ever tried tilting you locator up at an angle to get a reading where your downrigger is? if this works, it would be nice to see in the beginnng how much the weight swings out while trolling. I know this fluctuates with the underwater currents, but wondering if the graph will pick it up?

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

it all depemnds, if you are pulling a probe, then you need coated cable, you may want to try braided line, but as far as i can tell 150-200# test is all i would use, coated is thicker then non coated which is thicker them braided line, and the thinner the less blow back you have

lookin4fish

any good links to videos would be great. I am down in the winona area, so my time getting to the big water is limited, but i try to do it at least once a year

lookin4fish

so braided 150-200# sounds like what would fit me. I dont intend to get into it “downrigger balls deep,” just enough to improve my catches from what I have been doing running pump handles

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

there is a calculation that can be used by knowing feet of line out and the angel that the lie enters the water, but that is heave caculus and way beyound me, lol

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

you have a pm

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Word on the water is that if ur rigger has a plastic spool don’t use braid, it can cut the spool. 150ss would be the way to go. I run a Low 520 and pick my ball up over 100′ deep. It makes it easy to know how close you are to that snaggy Superior bottom with out trying to guess the blow back. I’ve figured with a 12# ball at 100 feet deep will actually run about 93-95 depending on speed. I generally run 2-2.25mph.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

Word on the water is that if ur rigger has a plastic spool don’t use braid, it can cut the spool. 150ss would be the way to go. I run a Low 520 and pick my ball up over 100′ deep. It makes it easy to know how close you are to that snaggy Superior bottom with out trying to guess the blow back. I’ve figured with a 12# ball at 100 feet deep will actually run about 93-95 depending on speed. I generally run 2-2.25mph.

really? i had heard it was the mono on plastic spools that was causeing problems and that it was mostly on planer board reels.

lookin4fish

mine is plastic so i hope there is not a problem. there is braided steel on there right now, but i dont think they have gotton much abuse

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.