Palm Trees and Trout

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Able to cap off my San Diego business trip fishing opening day of Laguna Niguel Lake trout fishing. Roughly two dozen fish caught from 7-11am. Trout hit crawlers, Power Bait, and plastics. In the end I learned plastics are much more effective in catching pond raised trout.

Palm Trees and Trout

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Thanks for giving me something very interesting to read this morning.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Hey thanks for reading! Cal is curious what people in the Midwest think of the idea. The lake stocks all different kinds of trout to keep it interesting. They have stocked emerald trout before. The LNL says they are even stocking steelhead in a month or so. The rainbows from yesterday were pond raised (or at least finished off in a pond) so their tails in pretty good shape. I did not see any fly fishermen. The water fairly murky which explains why bright colored plastic worms did the best. I did catch 10/24 on good old crawler and a few on powerbait so trout found on smell alone. Many plastic wormers were using scent juice too. At least in a float tube powerbait was tough to use. Fishermen telling me the secret is to roll out like a skinny worm and you need dry hands to do this. Also amazed that the trout would swallow plastic worms deep just like a natural. I’m going to give plastics a try more next summer here on MN and WI trout streams.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.