Safe Ice

• Drum Guy

How long until we see some fishable ice in the metro? I’m hoping for no longer than 10 days

404 ERROR
    MN

I found some “fishable” ice lastnight in the south metro. Small, wind protected ponds should have anywhere from 1.5-3″. I imagine by Sunday pending the snow, most all small ponds and lakes will have decent “fishable” ice.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Fishable ice to one is not the same for another.

I hope to get out a couple hours yet this weekend depending on what I find when I check today or tomorrow.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Wife’s kicking me out of house tonight for holiday party, anyone got some for sure ice in North metro? Crystal and twin froze over last night, maybe a little soon for those

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wife’s kicking me out of house tonight for holiday party, anyone got some for sure ice in North metro? Crystal and twin froze over last night, maybe a little soon for those

Your north metro is surprisingly south. coffee

I’m up by Coon lake. I can send you a pm on that today or tomorrow.

mr-special
    MPLS

I’m hopin by next wkend we should have 4-6″ in most smaller bodies of water.

bobberstop4054

3 inches on south center then we found barely 1 on the point by the public access in 20 feet

Wiljo Korpela

I’m going today, lakes round east-central MN have 4-5″ of ice! Can’t wait for the mornin’!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Any had a chance to check Waconia or other SW Metro lakes?

Drum Guy

Went out and scouted a few small south metro lakes today, most ice I found was about 2.5 inches. Hopefully this snow holds up and we get some real ice to form soon!

404 ERROR
    MN

Went out and scouted a few small south metro lakes today, most ice I found was about 2.5 inches. Hopefully this snow holds up and we get some real ice to form soon!

Only 2.5? I’m in the SE metro and every small lake I found on Friday had 2.5-4″. Try smaller lakes and ponds…heck, even a couple shallow lakes an hour south had 3-6″ on Sunday.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Saw In-Towne Marina went out and checked Waconia again, and there was about 3.5″ in front of the Marina. With this weekends snowstorm, and the springs in Waconia I’ll be waiting until after New Years to head out there.

Paperlips21
    Glencoe, MN

I’ve had a couple of reports today of smaller McLeod county lakes having ~5″.

Drum Guy

About 3 inches on Crystal today. Drilled a few holes and managed to catch a couple perch. Nothing big but it felt good to get out there!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

White Bear had 5 inches of good ice everywhere I fished tonight off of Bel Aire. Dont go east of the point though, that part of the lake just froze over a couple days ago.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Saw In-Towne Marina went out and checked Waconia again, and there was about 3.5″ in front of the Marina. With this weekends snowstorm, and the springs in Waconia I’ll be waiting until after New Years to head out there.

does Waconia have a lot of underground springs/unstable areas for ice? I have never fished Waconia but since moving to the area im looking forward to giving it a try.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

does Waconia have a lot of underground springs/unstable areas for ice? I have never fished Waconia but since moving to the area im looking forward to giving it a try.

So I’ve been told. I’ve noticed a big variance in ice out there, not sure if it’s from springs or snow. It’s a pretty good crappie lake, let me know if you want to head out there after the new year.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Will do BigWerm. ill be heading out in the metro Saturday for crappies. solid 3-5 inches where im headed. I have room in the pop up if you interested.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Will do BigWerm. ill be heading out in the metro Saturday for crappies. solid 3-5 inches where im headed. I have room in the pop up if you interested.

Tomorrow…? shock

Attachments:
    1. crappie-fishing_976.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Tomorrow…? shock

yes sir! a big part of how I derive enjoyment out of ice fishing is by facing off against the elements. I enjoy going into harsh conditions and wetting a line. im looking forward to it

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thanks for the offer, but I’ll be waiting awhile before going out in the metro. I have a full liquor cabinet and a honey do list long enough to keep me busy until Monday. Let me know how it goes, and the ice situation!

Drum Guy

7-11 inches of snow broadcasted for this weekend shock … will this drastically affect ice conditions that much or is the safe ice basically here for the season?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FYI I just saw In-Towne Marina posted an update on FB today, and the rain/wind took care of all the snow on Lake Waconia and refroze. There is now 7-8 inches where they checked.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Wheelers are starting to go out on Tonka. I was out with my 125 tonight and found as much as 9 inches and nothing less than 6 where I was at in a smaller Bay. Keep in mind not all bays freeze alike on tonka so stay safe.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.