Sad / Senseless Crime in Bemidji Minnesota

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Im sure its for the other free handouts our state is famous for. Which is why we have so many people from Illinois come here once a month when the checks come out.
    [/quote]

When I worked for the Bank for many years. People from Chicago called Minnesota Moneyapolis. You would not believe the # of times I’d have someone send in their Illinois welfare I’d with their Minnesota Welfare check. They would laugh and say ” Sorry send that one back and I’ll give you the Minnesota One ” The funny think is both pictures were the same person, but the names were different or slightly different.

CaptainMusky

FT doesnt that just infuriate you? It does me and we are a joke that we work and live here, pay taxes etc to give them their free handouts.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FT doesnt that just infuriate you? It does me and we are a joke that we work and live here, pay taxes etc to give them their free handouts.

I worked at a Bank on Lake Street ( Same one set on fire during the riots ) You would not even Believe the amount of Checks we cashed on the 1st of the Month. The bank I worked at had 8 Drive thru lanes and we would have all the lanes backed up most of the day. We use to have the police come and block off the line at 5:00 and it would often take 5-6 Employees a Hour or so to clear the remaining cars in line. We would often have 4-6 people in each car cashing welfare checks. We had to make all the people in the car get out or put their face into the Camera so we would have proof it was them cashing the checks. If not the check would often get reported as stolen and the person would get issued a new check. The real sad thing was the 3rd of the month was Social security payday. Way less people and the size of the average check was less than the welfare ones were. For the 1st we would make up what were called Pre-packs of Cash in the various amounts just to speed up the process. Each teller had 100’s of these pre-packs. If a check was for $610.00. Grab a $600.00 prepack and a 10 $ bill and send it out. I wish I could remember the # of checks we cashed in a day, Just can’t remember. But it was A LOT. I worked at the Nicollet and Lake office. There was another location at Chicago and Lake about 10-12 blocks away. They were almost as busy as us. Only less busy because they were a Much smaller office.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

FT that is making me sick to my stomach. If it were not for the resources we have around here I would be leaving, but not sure it is much better anywhere nowadays.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FT that is making me sick to my stomach. If it were not for the resources we have around here I would be leaving, but not sure it is much better anywhere nowadays.

I Know. I use to get angry on the 1st of every month while I worked there. I also use to be angry on the 1st and Sad on the 3rd. Often Angry on the 3rd as well. On the 3rd both Social Security ( SS ) and Supplemental Security Income ( SSI ) check would be issued. It made me angry to see older people standing in line to cash their SS checks right next to someone collecting a SSI check for a Drug or alcohol dependency. Most Often those SSI or DI checks were larger than the SS checks. Before someone jumps all over me and this statement. This was back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I am not even sure if Drug addiction and Alcohol addiction still qualify a person for SSI or DI these days. I am also not saying both are not a sad issue in our society or not deserving of help.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That bank probably swindled as much money from its clients as the welfare folks did from the government

LabDaddy1

That poor, poor girl cry

I think you all have pretty much covered the rest.

FinickyFish

That bank probably swindled as much money from its clients as the welfare folks did from the government

^ Can confirm.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

here’s a radical thought…the lucky chance of birthright American citizenship doesn’t automatically make you a good person. and the similar random fate of being an undocumented immigrant doesn’t make you a bad person. being born on 3rd base doesn’t mean that any of us hit a triple, and it’s arrogant to act that way.

are there criminals who come to the US to take advantage of our system? yes, of course. just like the many who happened to be born here and do the same thing. are there lots of upstanding hardworking US citizens? most of them, thankfully. and i’ve known undocumented folks who work harder every day trying to make a better life than i have ever had to do. the truth is that we are facing an employment crisis in this country and we need immigration very badly. should we control our borders more effectively as a part of managing this? absolutely. but conflating immigrant status with being a criminal is reductive.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

^^ 100% with Michael. Crime is everywhere, rape happens more often then we know. Americans don’t want to work so there is an economic need for starting wage workers.

big_g
    Isle, MN

To want to cut one terrible persons ball sack off and feeding them to him… does not mean every illegal immigrant should suffer the consequence of one bad apple… but EVERY illegal immigrant in this country, is already a unlawful person, no matter how good they are at their job. There is a way… this is not it. flame

CaptainMusky

Agreed Big_G! Not every illegal is here to do bad things, but the fact remains they are still here illegally. Come here legally I have no problem with that.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not sure how only one person is charged in a gang rape case. The guy they did charge had no business being on the street as he had a 2020 DWI that he posted bail for, and then no showed, and had a warrant out. Then he gets another DWI in March, 2023 and they let him out again (even though he’s shown he will not show), he no shows on the 2nd DWI, they take him into custody in July and let him post bail and fail to appear AGAIN.

Immigration is a S show and the entire system needs to be dismantled and reworked. Immigrants make our nation stronger, and do work most Americans won’t or can’t do, but legal immigration is nearly impossible as it costs a ton of money and requires a VERY long time. But we also need to know who is coming in the country, get them in the system paying taxes, and protect them from employers that abuse them and do not follow our laws since they are off the books. There should be an easier answer there imo.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

the truth is that we are facing an employment crisis in this country

Do you truly believe its a employment crisis or a too many people not wanting or willing to work crisis ???
    I like many other do not have a problem with LEGAL Immigration. I do have a issue with Illegal Immigration. We simply CAN NOT keep allowing 2 Million + unknown ILLEGAL immigrants to cross into this country. Yes, the majority of them are hard working people who simply want a better life. But there are some that are not and will cause harm to someone here. I simply am not willing to accept the few in favor of the many in this situation. So many people simply don’t see illegal immigration as a problem till it directly effect them. I do not see many who support illegal Immagration opening their doors for them or willing to accept responsibility for their actions. Until that happens I simply can not agree with them.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Immigrants make our nation stronger, and do work most Americans won’t or can’t do

I agree with the Won’t not the Can’t. There is not a job here being done by Immigrants, that Can’t be done by a Legal citizen. Now if Mexico were willing to make a even trade. One of their honest hard working citizens, for one of our Lazy non working citizens, I’m all for it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like many other do not have a problem with LEGAL Immigration.

Most people who say this, have no idea how difficult LEGAL immigration is, to the point it is not really an option for most of the good people coming across the southern border. Even my cousins now wife, who got her PhD in America, could not complete the process before her student Visa was up, and she is a Medical Doctor with money!!!

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I think we have to remember that Immigration laws are made and passed by Congress….not the President. Congress has decided not to touch this issue for nearly 20 years because of VOTES. Both sides are very much at fault. Look at the history of immigration the past 25 years. Republicans have cried that we need the workers…Democrats have cried that it is a humanitarian issue. Until we get a President who has the guts to lock Congress up in their chamber until they come up with new Immigration policy it will continue this way.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think we have to remember that Immigration laws are made and passed by Congress….not the President

Laws correct, But their is things a President can do. We did have a President who was at least making a attempt to do something about Illegal Immigration. The building of a Wall at the border. Those efforts were shut Down on Day one when the new president came into office. This same President who is on Record and Video as saying that there would not be even 1 Ft of a wall built during his presidency. But wait, Now that his overall approval ratings are falling like a rock in the ocean, He suddenly says he thinks the wall is not such a bad idea after all.

Deuces

Had a few immigrant families move in next door to me, rental, moved up from FL after the gov signed the laws down there, hard up on work and I looked into what I could do for them and the consequences of such actions. $3k per worker and up to 6 months jail time, having a squeaky clean record myself I’m sure if it ever came to that no jail time and half of fines. Tbh that’s not a big deal, could recoup that with taking certain percentages off their work, setup a separate company structure a lil different and bammo got another stream of income with more guys paying into the system w ITINs I’d mandate to have.

In the end I didn’t go thru w it, but it’s easy to sit back and say these folks gotta go and stop hiring em but if you see the struggle first hand, seeing the kids the hardest, the stories of them not getting paid on jobs with really no way to get paid, and then the system in place to become legal, it just sucks.

I get it, they are ILLEGAL, but they’re still HUMAN.

Gitchi Gummi

Most people who say this, have no idea how difficult LEGAL immigration is, to the point it is not really an option for most of the good people coming across the southern border. Even my cousins now wife, who got her PhD in America, could not complete the process before her student Visa was up, and she is a Medical Doctor with money!!!

Well said BigWerm. I think the ironic thing is many of our ancestors would not have qualified for legal immigration into the United States under today’s immigration laws. So it was ok when many of our great great grandparents came to this country that way but now that we are in, we are totally against others getting in unless they jump thru a bunch of hoops and check all the boxes that our (many current American citizens’) ancestors didn’t have to do.

Pot meet kettle.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think the ironic thing is many of our ancestors would not have qualified for legal immigration into the United States under today’s immigration laws

Heck most US Citizens couldn’t pass the citizenship civics test. How many here can get 6 out of 10 of these right? No Googling!

1. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
    2. What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
    3. When was the Constitution written?
    4. The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
    5. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
    6. Who was President during World War I?
    7. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
    8. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
    9. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
    10. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Heck most US Citizens couldn’t pass the citizenship civics test. How many here can get 6 out of 10 of these right? No Googling!

You are Correct. I could care less if they or anyone else could answer those questions or not. There are far better questions they could and should be asking.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Not sure how only one person is charged in a gang rape case. The guy they did charge had no business being on the street as he had a 2020 DWI that he posted bail for, and then no showed, and had a warrant out. Then he gets another DWI in March, 2023 and they let him out again (even though he’s shown he will not show), he no shows on the 2nd DWI, they take him into custody in July and let him post bail and fail to appear AGAIN.

Immigration is a S show and the entire system needs to be dismantled and reworked. Immigrants make our nation stronger, and do work most Americans won’t or can’t do, but legal immigration is nearly impossible as it costs a ton of money and requires a VERY long time. But we also need to know who is coming in the country, get them in the system paying taxes, and protect them from employers that abuse them and do not follow our laws since they are off the books. There should be an easier answer there imo.

The immigration piece is a monumental mess that no one person is going to fix. It sounds like the guy in custody is a citizen, but others associated with the crime or home were not?

If what you stated about the DWIs and failure to show up is true information, some prosecutor should be unemployed already. Their negligence ruined a kid’s life. That scum bag should have been sitting in jail. What county was he arrested in for DUI only to be released multiple times after not showing up? I am guessing Hennepin?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

f what you stated about the DWIs and failure to show up is true information, some prosecutor should be unemployed already. Their negligence ruined a kid’s life. That scum bag should have been sitting in jail. What county was he arrested in for DUI only to be released multiple times after not showing up? I am guessing Hennepin?

You are correct, both Hennepin County. “Auntie” in the story has a very long rap sheet as well, mainly from Beltrami County and North Dakota, and she was supposed to be serving a year behind bars at the current moment as well.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael C. Winther wrote:</div>
    the truth is that we are facing an employment crisis in this country

Do you truly believe its a employment crisis or a too many people not wanting or willing to work crisis ???
    I like many other do not have a problem with LEGAL Immigration. I do have a issue with Illegal Immigration. We simply CAN NOT keep allowing 2 Million + unknown ILLEGAL immigrants to cross into this country. Yes, the majority of them are hard working people who simply want a better life. But there are some that are not and will cause harm to someone here. I simply am not willing to accept the few in favor of the many in this situation. So many people simply don’t see illegal immigration as a problem till it directly effect them. I do not see many who support illegal Immagration opening their doors for them or willing to accept responsibility for their actions. Until that happens I simply can not agree with them.

Here’s a thought: if you have high school children who are not working, you are part of the employment crisis. On my block there are 6 high schoolers and my son is the only one with a job. The others are coddled and bankrolled by their stupid rich parents, so they can focus on playing sports and being “kids.” Part of being a kid is learning how to grow up and take some responsibility and contributing to society. Sorry not sorry, with a few very rare exceptions, your high school football and hockey career is a joke. If you can’t juggle 15 hours/week of work with sports practices and homework, good luck in the real world.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

He suddenly says he thinks the wall is not such a bad idea after all.

Actually he was on camera indicating yesterday that he thought it was still a bad idea, but fully admitted that the money for a barrier was already allocated by Congress and it had to be use for that. His own DHS Secretary Mayorkas fully and openly admitted that a barrier is needed in a specific area that is being over run right now in southern Texas.

Congress needs to completely over haul the immigration system. They won’t. Right now they just want to throw more money at it for Border Patrol.

What Biden can do is change his communication on the subject. Simple public rhetoric from him would make a lot of people think twice if he was more outspoken on the subject. Right now every single immigrant thinks they have an easy route to getting here. And I personally think that anyone who is caught trying to enter the country illegally should be banned from being considered for legal immigration. That would deter a lot of people from trying to jump the fence or swim the river.

Umy
    South Metro

Biden has not addressed this country in an meaningful way his entire time in office. Hid in his basement during the “pandemic”. Should have had a weekly or bi-weekly address to the nation to let us “people” know we were being cared for, the problem was being worked on, that resources were being brought to bear – in other words LEADING his country

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    f what you stated about the DWIs and failure to show up is true information, some prosecutor should be unemployed already. Their negligence ruined a kid’s life. That scum bag should have been sitting in jail. What county was he arrested in for DUI only to be released multiple times after not showing up? I am guessing Hennepin?

You are correct, both Hennepin County. “Auntie” in the story has a very long rap sheet as well, mainly from Beltrami County and North Dakota, and she was supposed to be serving a year behind bars at the current moment as well.

Meet Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty:

Either her, or someone who works beneath her in her staff should be blasted everywhere imaginable for letting the people walk repeatedly who did this. This is on them too.

Attachments:
    1. images.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

Do you believe the immigrants don’t use google ? Sure they do. That test is not the hold up… do the immigration laws need to be updated… yes. Is the mere fact of wanting a job, a reason to get into the USA … ummm no. I agree with Thumper, trade one of ours for one of theirs… see how long that would last.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.