Rum River 5/27/2007 Update

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well first report but short report (no pics)

Got up this morning and dragged my butt out of bed after working 14 hours the day before and not getting to bed until midnight. I took a buddy of mine fishing on the Rum just north of Cambridge. There is a little public access a few miles north of 95 from cambridge that we set out of. Due to the water level and condition of the lauch, we took my buddies 12′ alumacraft jon boat and used a trolling motor to putter up the river.

The moning was quite slow. We wore our waders and decided to park the boat on shore every so often and try our luck casting from shore. The first mile going up river from the access provides a couple deep holes and a few portions of 5′ deep or better. We focused on these spots during our stops. We had quite a variety of presentations today… BFishN tackle Jigs and Kgrubs, Storm wildeye minnows, Northlan Mimic Minnos, and Rapalas. After motoring up about 3/4 mile from the access… we finally had our first action. This came on a new Rapala of mine… a silver XRap. We were in about 5 feet of water… and a walleye took it with about 4 feet of line left to real in. Not much to setting the hook when you almost can lift our rod to put the fish in the boat. Anyway, that eye came in at about 15 inches or so. Nothing to write home about… but a decent eater.
    The rest of the morning was pretty uneventful other than a few snags and rock bass. My buddy got a call on a property he owns… so we had to get going pretty soon after I landed the eye. So, all in all it was a pretty short trip.

With the water levels as they are… I am a little nervous about launching my 16′ Jon boat. There are some shallow spots… but nothing we couldn’t get through walking the 12′ jon through (due to the trolling motor hitting). I think my jet boat should make it through most of the way… I am not worried about hitting any rocks or sand bars… just don’t want to go through all the work of launching the boat… and not being able to fish more than a 1/4 mile of the river. I will probably look at going out Tuesday afternoon and trying my luck then.

Good Fishing!

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

I’ve decided to put in at St Francis and head up river. For no paticular reason.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.