Rum River

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I headed out to the Rum with some of my riverrat buddies. They did really well on Friday, so I joined them yesterday afternoon. We went to the Rum River Central Park and then hiked back to the secret spots. In no time we were catching walleyes, northerns, and bass. The presentation was a egg sinker, a 18″ leader, a couple orange beads, and a red hook. Most of the walleyes and northerns came on sucker minnows. The bass were hitting both the nightcrawlers and minnows. A nice 20″ walleye fell victim to a frog on my buddies line.

The highlight of the trip was hanging out with friends I seldom see and fishing from in the river. I had my hip boots on, so I hiked out to the middle of the river and fished some deep holes and eddies. I landed two nice northerns and a very nice 19″ smallie, while I was standing out there. It was fun to wrestle them all the way back into the current.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Sound like another great time for you and your buddies. I plan on hitting the Rum for some late season smallie action. You free??
    Ron

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

I have a seven year old Grandson that I would like to take fishing this weekened. He lives in Blaine. Would taking him to this spot be a good place for him to catch some fish? He is experienced with a fishing pole. Any pointers would help as I have never been there.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The good holes are pretty far back in the woods. The pier and other spots along the trails are not holding fish right now. The other problem would be all the snags. That could get frustrating for a 7 year old. There is a park on the Ramsey/Anoka border that might be worth trying. There is a nice pier and some other shore fishing spots. We have caught a lot of fish in years past on the spot furthest South.

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks for the tip. I did find that pier and BJ caught three smallmouth bass from there. Pretty small but not to him.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.