RPM Gauge Help

• out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

A while back (years?) I remember seeing a discussion about an after market RPM gauge and hour meter, I cannot seem to find the old post I think it was digital and ran off a battery? Any remember see this? It was small and I swear it was only like $50.00.

I finally need to break down and add one so I can do some prop testing with possible idle adjustments.

Iowaboy1

as far as hourmeters go,you can pick up a Hobbs hour meter at any grainger,msc,or at an agricultural dealership.
    as far as tachometers,you will get what you pay for,remember to get one that is multi-cylinder capable and set it for your engine,some of the better ones I have seen and used are available through aircraft spruce,wag-areo,and other sport plane parts retailers that sell to the ultra-lite market as well as the experimental markets.
    they sell analog as well as digital tachs and the necessary parts to hook them up,the reason I suggest these places is because they cater to the two stroke guys,stuff for four strokes as well if that is what you have.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Good point. Im not too concerned with the hours. I will probably end up going with a traditional analog version. But that one I spoke of before seemed pretty slick.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Tiny tach, I’ve got one in the boat and one on the mower. You can order right from them and get custom length leads, I got a 15′ lead for the one in the boat.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

^^^^yes thats exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Was it easy to install?

milemark_714

Was it easy to install?

Very easy.Wrap antenna around spark plug wire,and other lead to power.Had one on my 25HP mercury.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yes, Tiny Tach, but before you order, call or e-mail with your application. Different motors require different models, and it’s better to contact them first than to get one that won’t work on your motor (I know from experience).

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Thanks guys, Ill get an email out to them today so I can get the right one.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

If you’re running Lowrance you could install an engine interface cable and connect into the NMEA 2000 network. It will give you RPM’s and hours used from day one.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I thought about that right away when I got my HDS.

I have been on the Lowrance website this morning. What all would I need to get that running? All I have is a HDS 7 with the standard transducer.

Also where could I find out if my motor has the NMEA 2000 capibility? It is a 2004 Merc 75 horse 4 stroke.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.