Row the Boat 2023

• CaptainMusky

That’s a completely preposterous statement. Ndsu does good for themselves sure but Minnesota does better and they should.

Alex Fox

Thanks for correcting me on the numbers. I didn’t realize MN had 14. But still, how is a 1AA team (sorry can’t remember the new name for that division) that close to a Big 10 school in terms of NFL prospects.

I’m seeing Fleck has had 15 players drafted in his 6 seasons at UM, 3 last season. Northwestern had 4. Illinois had 4. Michigan for comparison had 9. So if Fleck isn’t recruiting as good as middle of the road big ten teams and he isn’t running new fangled offensive schemes that no one’s seen before, where is the fix? Is it coach? Is it NIL money and along with it recruiting? Is it facilities? Honestly asking, what needs to change because right now this is a lower third of the Big Ten West team.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Remind me, which coach prior to Fleck was better? When was the last time the Gophers were national Championship material?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I don’t think anyone in the West is running away with it ahead of the others by much. We will see shortly with Iowa… the clock management was terrible, he was bailed out by that late TD. It seems to me, when he had Tanner Morgan, they had about a zillion more RPO’s than they do today. Seems the only running by Kali is when he is running for his life. How do you slow down the edge rush… fake the handoff and run the other way once in awhile. Seems like PJ doesn’t realize, there is tape on his game plan.. it’s the same every week. Do we need to scrap and start over, No.. that’s the typical MN reaction. Nebraska is doing it right now, ask them if its fun. doah We have smart athletes, get a bigger playbook.

CaptainMusky

Fleck is recruiting just fine. His recruiting classes are actually quite good since hes been here, but some kids dont pan out which is normal. His rankings are generally pretty dang good within the BigTen and the class next year looks very promising provided they actually amount to anything. Anyone can look good on paper but not turn out the way you hoped they would.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The opening line for the Gophers-Hawkeyes game on Saturday favors Iowa by 4.5 points. Iowa has re-entered the top 25 and is ranked #24 after their road win at Wisconsin two days ago. They are 6-1 on the season. Minnesota has not won in Iowa since November of 1999 and they are 5-18 against the Hawkeyes the past 23 seasons since that win. PJ Fleck is 0-5 versus Iowa as head coach of the Gophers.

A pivotal matchup in the east division looms on Saturday as #6 Penn State visits #3 Ohio State.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Word is PJ would like the Bears job if it becomes available. They also have no quarterback or expectations. whistling

Tlazer

So what do you have against the Bears? smirk

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

3-3 after the first quarter. What a barn burner.

Apparently the total over/under for this game was 30.5 points, which is the lowest FBS total in 2 decades for any game.

lindyrig79

I stepped away after the Iowa punt return TD. What the heck happened???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They ruled a fair catch signal on the replay review. Clearly it was not a fair catch signal. He was pointing to the sideline. Fans throwing items on the field. Can’t say I blame them, Iowa got screwed.

A fair catch signal is above the head. Pointing to the sideline is clearly not a fair catch signal.

Stay classy Iowa fans.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’m watching it on silent in the woods but I think they said the returner motioned his arms like a fair catch

glenn57
    cold spring mn

12- 10 rodents. Dutchy wants Fleck to get a new contract ! rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m watching it on silent in the woods but I think they said the returner motioned his arms like a fair catch

Yes, that’s what they ruled on the replay. But looking at the replay, he clearly did not indicate fair catch.

It’s possible that a fair catch signal in NCAA football is different than the NFL. If that’s the case then it’s the correct call. If the rule is the same as the NFL, that’s a really bad call that costed Iowa the game.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They don’t deserve the accolades they will get with this win. PJ didn’t even TRY to even come close to getting a TD and ran on damn near every third down play they had in Iowa territory playing PJ safe for FGs. That’s a joke of a win.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That might be the worst call I’ve seen all year. It looked to me like the punt returner was directing his blockers. He was pointing at teammates. An ugly ending to an ugly game.

SR

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That might be the worst call I’ve seen all year. It looked to me like the punt returner was directing his blockers. He was pointing at teammates. An ugly ending to an ugly game.

SR

Yes! That’s exactly what I’m saying here.

I just looked up the NCAA rules for fair catch signal and it’s exactly the same as the NFL. The hand must be waived above the head. If that’s a fair catch signal then I grew up in a cave lol

Here is the rule:
    A valid fair catch signal is defined as “a signal given by a (returner) who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.

MX1825

Gift for the Gophers.
    Iowa got shafted.
    Big 10 will come out this week and say it was the right call.

tim hurley

I’ll take the win! Calls are not always fair, goes both ways-Have wanted that pig for years!

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Yep…bad call. The kick returner was signaling to his teammates to stay away from the ball.
    His hand was never over his head.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Then there’s also the fact that he wasn’t anywhere near the ball when it came down too. It was bouncing along the sideline.

lindyrig79

I still haven’t seen the play, other than when they were reviewing if he stepped out of bounds. This is a big but, but if it was ambiguous at all then I don’t feel bad about it. As a punt returner you shouldn’t be screwing around with any arm motions that is an unfair advantage to a defense that already has tons of rules against them.

I’ll have to watch it again. But I’ve seen MN teams screwed by plenty of bad calls so what comes around goes around I guess.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just read on twitter there is a rule that is an Invalid Signal (which is what they called apparently). It was when the returner motions a hand signal not above his head. I didn’t even know that was a rule and don’t understand why it would be.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just read on twitter there is a rule that is an Invalid Signal (which is what they called apparently). It was when the returner motions a hand signal not above his head. I didn’t even know that was a rule and don’t understand why it would be.

That’s not what the ref said after they reviewed it though. They specifically said he called for a fair catch signal.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-iowa-go-ahead-td-called-back-in-chaotic-scene-as-hawkeyes-fall-to-minnesota-in-defensive-battle/

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m not a Iowa fan but they got robbed. How can that call be made even after being reviewed. PJ better relish the gift. If I was a betting man I would be curious what that call did for the gamblers.

lindyrig79

Ok I just watched the play again several times per Gimruis link

I’ll stand by my comments, he has both of his arms above his shoulders. He had also been signaling late all game and so I’d say he played with fire and got burnt. Lesson learned to punt returners keep your arms down if not calling a fair catch.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Gophers played well in the second half. They out scored Iowa 9-0 and forced 2 turnovers. Iowa was completely inept on offense and couldn’t generate anything after they took a 10-3 lead. So let’s give some credit to Minnesota here, even if Iowa got screwed on a late call.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ok, here is their credit…….the defense played well against a team with no quarterback. jester

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

From a Yahoo sports article

“According to the NCAA rule book, “A valid or invalid fair catch signal deprives the receiving team of the opportunity to advance the ball. The ball is declared dead at the spot of the catch or recovery.” An invalid fair catch signal is defined as “any waving signal” by a member of the receiving team that does not meet the requirements of a valid fair catch signal.”

I think they got him for waving his left arm back and forth around shoulder height. The rule is in place, at least in part, to help prevent opposing teams from thinking the receiver called a fair catch, letting up and then having the receiver take off running because the waving was not above his head.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That was a terrible call, but apparently technically correct. A W is a W and idgaf what anyone says when neither team did anything on offense, particularly in the 2nd half. Have one TD drive either way in the second half and that call is irrelevant. Losers blame the refs.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 484 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.