Hampala Barb Fishing

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I made an outing to Nam Ngum today and I will let the pictures do most of the talking. I took 2 of my Lao friends who had a blast. As much as I love ice fishing, I think I will take the 75 degree weather fishing in an exotic land over that. Enjoy.

These boulder island hold Hampalas too. They really remind me of a bass fishing.

We’re not the only ones out here but there is very little fishing pressure besides a few nets.

My portable fish locator shows some deep water and plenty of fish.

I caught my personal best today. 23″

These Lao guys are hardcore. My buddy had a nice Hampala on that tangled itself up in some tree branches about 10 feet below. Noticing that the fish was still on, they stripped down to their underwear to go after that fish. I was impressed. I can’t remember ever doing that myself.

We ended the day with 9 nice Barbs. Many of them were nice sized.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Awesome as usual…

You out to be the Viet Nam staff reporter…

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Awesome like usual

Curious…….. knowing that the Laos culture depends alot on fish for their diet leads to a question. Is there any species in Laos that is considered a true game fish with restrictive limits and size lengths? Also, the fish that you catch, do you give most of them away to friends and families or do you fry some up for yourself? Just curious and thanks for another great Asian update

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Awesome like usual

Curious…….. knowing that the Laos culture depends alot on fish for their diet leads to a question. Is there any species in Laos that is considered a true game fish with restrictive limits and size lengths? Also, the fish that you catch, do you give most of them away to friends and families or do you fry some up for yourself? Just curious and thanks for another great Asian update

There are no laws out there! Dynamite, Poison, Nets, Hook and line, electroshock are all ok out there. The only places you can fish and not allowed to keep them is the pay ponds where if you do keep any fish it cost X amount per Kilo.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Awesome like usual

Aaron pretty much answered it. Fortunately, I haven’t seen anybody use poison or bombs yet but have only heard about.

I do eat some but give most to my Lao friends. I grilled up a Silver Carp last week, same as the invasive ones back home. Not my favorite to eat but it was edible.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Great report and Pics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.