Remote Laos

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

This one is just like out of the pages of National Geographic. I have enjoyed a wide variety of fishing while living in SE Asia but this one has to rank up there with one of my favorites. From fishing parks stocked with endangered species to wild Lao countryside with difficult access, I love it all.

This day started with an early morning start. I made plans with 2 of my Lao friends to fish this remote mountain stream that I have been scoping out as I drive to our projects every month in northern Laos. We parked the Landcruiser and started off at the bridge where 6 young Lao boys decided to follow the big foreigner (mostly out of curiosity). We asked them for some directions to the nearest fishing hole and they very kindly led the way.

It wasn’t long before we arrived to this beautiful area where a small stream joined the larger one. It looked very trout-esque.

We caught a pair of Tilapia, Burmese Trout, and Sand Loaches. Here I am with the boys.

We left the boys and crossed the river to go downstream to find more good looking spots.

My Lao friend Dum caught this beautiful little trout on a worm. Not huge but it is the biggest one I have seen yet. Notice the par markings on the side.

This country is amazingly beautiful. At times I almost thought I was back home fishing the Kinni or Rush Rivers of Wisconsin.

We came across this woman looking for small fish, grubs, centipedes, and anything else she could find that is edible for dinner tonight.

She had quite a variety of specimens in here basket.

These 2 Catfish caught my eye. At first I thought I had the Bumble Bee Catfish (I am avidly on the hunt for the Bumble Bee Cat) in my hands until I realized they were a smaller Goonch species.

She also had this one that I have not yet ID’ed yet.

We then came across this family that was harvesting algae-like green gunk from the rocks (also for food).

Amazing Beauty!

Here is me with my friends Dang and Dum.

Dum is not so dumb as he showed me a little Lao ingenuity with the reel I gave him. Up here you cannot even find a fising pole like we know so Dum attached it to his cane pole and made an eyelet out of a washer for it.

Here Dang is crossing a cane pole bridge.

We then came across this nice S-curve in the river where we picked up a few Loaches and Trout.

Above the stream bed are these beautiful green rice field paddies.

Dang caught a bunch of these things up in the Rice Paddies. I’m not quite sure what they are yet but maybe some Gourami or Fighting Fish species.

A beautiful looking run loaded with small trout.

This is when I discovered the effectiveness of the Panther Marten. After making the switch, I couldn’t keep these fish off my bait.

I even found the remnants of the heavy shelling from the Viet Nam War Era. Laos (about the size of Minnesota) is the most bombed coutry in the world and so you don’t have to look far to find a souveneir to bring home with you.

You even have to be careful because of the many undetonated bombs in the area. Here are some lawn decorations or fense posts; however you want to look at it.

I picked up this nice Sand Loach in another area to finish off the day.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Love it C&B. Great Reports, Excellent Pictures, Very Beautiful

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Very, very interesting. Thanks a ton for sharing.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Amazing stuff

I like your new avatar

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Thanks Mike, for another very cool post with a lot of fantastic pictures. Those are not actually live shells are they?

When you were in Thailand last week did you inquire about the parrot flower? You know this is when it blooms.

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

I’m always amazed with your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

C&B,

Thanks so much for sharing once again!!!

As I sit and read your notes, I wonder how much I take for granted. Seeing those children preparing algae for food, a woman collecting grubs for food. Wow, this silly American would lose a lot of weight over there. I also wonder, does Laos have any wild animals one should worry about when venturing into the bush to chase these fish?? I assume that region has a fair share of poisonous snakes.

Thanks again and please keep posting!

John

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Isn’t the unidentified gourami a paradise fish ?

Yes it is. I just found out. Dang it, I just ran out of time too. It could have been a new lifelister for me too. That’s OK because I’m already planning my next trip back there.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Thanks Mike, for another very cool post with a lot of fantastic pictures. Those are not actually live shells are they?

When you were in Thailand last week did you inquire about the parrot flower? You know this is when it blooms.

That particular piece is aluminum. The Ho Chi Minh Trail went through Xieng Khoung and there are people getting injured from bombs yet today. A lot of cluster bombs never exploded on impact and so the lay dormant until some poor farmer hits one with a hoe. There are organisations helping with the clearing of bomb ordinances here. In fact, we purchased some property for our organisation and after it was checked with metal detectors they found 3 undetonated bombs on it. They then detonated them for us to clear the area.

Sorry, but I have not looked into that flower yet. I’ve been too busy working and fishing. I’ll try to keep an eye out for it.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

C&B,

Thanks so much for sharing once again!!!

As I sit and read your notes, I wonder how much I take for granted. Seeing those children preparing algae for food, a woman collecting grubs for food. Wow, this silly American would lose a lot of weight over there. I also wonder, does Laos have any wild animals one should worry about when venturing into the bush to chase these fish?? I assume that region has a fair share of poisonous snakes.

Thanks again and please keep posting!

John

Apart from the live bombs in the area, the one thing that gives me the eebee jeebees are the Cobras. I have seen snakes but I usually don’t stick around to ID them. Dang and Dum killed a Cobra in their yard one day so they are definitely here but I don’t worry about it but just try to be careful.

I was talking to a kid on the trail who said there are Tigers up in the mountains. People live along the stream in places and they didn’t seem to be too cautious so I didn’t worry about it. Again if I was afraid of all those things I wouldn’t be able to experience all the coolness of living. I try to use common sense and be careful when I need to be and trust God will take care of the rest.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

This is the best post I have seen from you yet. Thank you and keep ’em coming.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Wow. Utterly amazing. Thanks for sharing Mike! Keep them coming!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

AWESOME

Great pics

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I think some of us should send you some rods to give out as gifts. Thats some fine though adding a reel to a cane pole.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

A cobra would definitely dirty my pants

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Just amazing!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.