Roll call

• Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

For those that own your own business, be sure to be in contact with your accountant and/or banker. There are several relief programs being rolled out in the next week or two. The big one that is being opened Friday is the Paycheck Protection Program to cover payroll, mortgage interest/rent & utility costs. As of this afternoon there are still quite a few unknowns but I would recommend having your banker or accountant help fill out the application before the 3rd (or the 10th if you are independent contractor or self-employed).

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

working.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Been laid off since December and today was my first day back. Turns out residential tree service is essential, who would’ve thunk ??? personally I would have rather continued the lay off. The unimployment stimulus adding 600 hundred on top of what I was getting would have been more than what I make working

Attachments:
    1. 0D46594E-9F59-431B-AFD4-0D14AB90CABE.jpeg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I’m in the tradeshow business so obviously I am out of work right now. Hope things come back strong in the 3rd quarter.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wife is off and forced to use up her accumulated sick days.

House of m Building is moving forward with a lot of rules and strict guidelines. I’m only allowing 1 trade to work in the house at a time. Brought it down to a snails pace

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

Still working building house and running crane.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I’m still working, but it’s definitely slow for this time of year. Luckily at this point we’ve been told our jobs are safe. Hopefully this doesn’t drag on too terribly long, and cause that to change.

B-man

Been laid off since December and today was my first day back. Turns out residential tree service is essential, who would’ve thunk ??? personally I would have rather continued the lay off. The unimployment stimulus adding 600 hundred on top of what I was getting would have been more than what I make working

That’s the scary thing.

With the added $600, unemployment is going to pay better than a lot of jobs….it’s going to start a whole new level of government tit suckers.

When you can gross $70,000 a year sitting on your ass, who would blame them? ($740 unemployment + $600 x 52 = $70,000)……

That’s not a lot of incentive for people to job search. It’s going to destroy our economy far longer than the virus ever could have.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Lucy and Ethel’s boss lady says…candy making is “essential”, snap to it chased

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’m self-employed so I’m never out of work, but this should be the busy season and it’s been very slow. Since this is a seasonal business, I only hope can recover in May/June. All our spring trade shows have been canceled. We’ll see.

Mrs. Grouse is still employed, thankfully.

Honestly, compared to what others are going through, we have absolutely nothing to complain about. Yes, the kids are doing school online, but we are healthy, have the bills paid, have insurance, and a paid-for roof over our heads. Everything else is small potatoes compared to what others are dealing with.

We know 2 couples, both with kids, who are both hourly employees and are both laid off. Also a single mom neighbor of ours has 2 teenaged boys and she’s laid off plus she doubts her employer will survive, so she’s pretty depressed about the whole situation as she’ll probably have to spend time finding a new job even after all this is over for most. Like I said, nothing on my end to complain about, lots of people have it worse.

On the bright side, Mrs. Grouse has moved forward with her own version of an economic stimulus package. New carpet in whole house has been ordered. New curtains all around. New entryway bench/wardrobe. I have been put on painting duty for the next lord knows how many days. Bathroom done, living room done, hall done, stairway done, only 2 rooms to go…….

And yesterday she looked at the landscaping and said it looks sad and old and we need a new paver walkway to the front door, so I have this bad, bad feeling…

Grouse

FG throw that dam job jar away ASAP!!!
    You know you don’t have to jump start the economy all by yourself.

B-man

I know it’s not how it’s calculated, I’m doing the math after people are on unemployment.

If you make enough to draw max unemployment ($740)…..and a LOT of people do (takes about $75,000 a year), then add $600 on top of it, it’s the equivalent of a $70,000 salary……for not doing a thing.

Let’s say you make $50,000 a year. You’ll draw less than max, but by adding $600 a week you’ll make even MORE money sucking on the tit…..

It’s not going to be good man, I’m telling you.

In six months when everyone’s unemployment is running out, we will be approaching winter. Not the best time to find employment in Minnesota…..

There’s going to be a lot of people losing their houses or going bankrupt.

But don’t fret, another handout will likely be given…..

Deleted

I’m Retired – doesn’t affect me (unless I run out of tp).

Wife is working from home (for now) but I’m guessing that’s not going to be for much longer. She is on the “at risk” list for past medical history. She can’t be around anyone for now (except family).

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gino wrote:</div>

That’s the scary thing.

With the added $600, unemployment is going to pay better than a lot of jobs….it’s going to start a whole new level of government tit suckers.

When you can gross $70,000 a year sitting on your ass, who would blame them? ($740 unemployment + $600 x 52 = $70,000)……

That’s not a lot of incentive for people to job search. It’s going to destroy our economy far longer than the virus ever could have.

That is not how it’s calculated.

Then explain how it’s calculated? toast

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’m “essential” as a healthcare worker, but haven’t worked a shift in two weeks because the hospital is so empty.

No complaints. Still get full pay waytogo

B-man

For now it ends in June….I’ll wager it gets extended beyond that.

And I’ll wager that regular benefits go far longer than the normal 26 weeks….

The collapse is coming boys and girls. 2008-09 was just a hiccup compared to what we’re in for if this continues. This is potentially the tip of the tip of the ice berg.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200401-204756-1.png

2. Screenshot_20200401-204756.png

B-man

In Minnesota unemployment pays about half your wage, up to $740 gross a week.

If you make about $75,000 (or more) you qualify for max, plus an additional $600….

Until end of June. Then the $600 stops.

Edit. You beat me to it.
    Yeah, there will probably be another fed package.
    I wonder how many people making $75k and up are actually unemployed, or maybe just had a reduction in hours. I’d think a huge percentage of those jobs can be done remotely, plus in MN something like 78% of workers are considered essential.

Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of people filing unemployment claims in Minnesota alone.

My brother-in-law was just furloughed today. He made over $75,000 in a white collar with some work-from-home position for an “essential employer”.

My employer recently cut non-union salaried employees salaries by as much as 30%. The big wigs are taking a 100% salary cut. The money is being deferred into company stock (fortunately they all can cash out their stocks in 12 months if they stay with the company)

The only people with safe jobs today are funeral home directors and garbage truck drivers…..if you’re neither, be prepared for the worst. It hopefully won’t happen, but be prepared (cut your personal spending and debt NOW, push off that new vehicle or toy for the time being)

Many essential employees are and will be losing their jobs. Just because you’re essential doesn’t mean the work will be there. Right now even nurses are seeing their hours cut. My wife was cut 20% this week alone, with many already voluntarily sitting at home. But the PTO and Sick time isn’t coming from an endless bucket, it to will run out.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gino wrote:</div>

That’s the scary thing.

That is not how it’s calculated.

I do agree to a point ,it did make it hard for me to want to go back to work but it’s nice to be out doing something again. But the other side is that if staying home and not spreading the virus really is the answer then the extra money is not a bad thing. It’s not a never ending program. Yet

B-man

Gino I wasn’t implying that you specifically would abuse the system, but you and I know plenty of people will.

I don’t mind a little un-enjoy-ment in the winter myself, but after two weeks I start to go bonkers.

But now with people making the same amount of money sitting at home instead of working (some will make even more), it’s going to be a downward spiral my friend.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Gino I wasn’t implying that you specifically would abuse the system, but you and I know plenty of people will.

I know , now worries bud toast

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The collapse is coming boys and girls. 2008-09 was just a hiccup compared to what we’re in for if this continues. This is the tip of the tip of the ice berg.

Dude, you’re a depressing prognosticator. In fact, your exact attitude is the same as the French “defeatists” Paul Reynaud and Marshall Petain inviting France to fall with no hope in WW2.

Surrendering before the fight.

In spite of London being bombed to bits, they had a leader never accepting defeat…because he inspired his people to not give up hope.

This now if we ignored history, we’ll have learned nothing.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

~Winston Churchill

Attachments:
    1. Bomb.jpg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

The virus is the big unknown , if it dies out or a vaccine is made soon,this will all be a moot problem . On the other hand if what the government is predicting 240000 dead,we won’t really be worried about unimployment. I’ll be worried about my father with a liver transplant and my wife and children,and me.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Still siding houses ,miles of siding

B-man

I’m sorry Andy, I’m just looking at what is happening all around us.

MILLIONS of people are filing unemployment for the first time in their lives….. Millions more are likely coming right behind them.

My family members and co-workers are having hours/salaries cut… and even their job cut, and we’re barely getting started.

I’m an optimist, but to believe everything is going to be back to normal this fall is a pipe dream.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

95% of our work as a contractor is at Mayo. Only certain projects are deemed essential and our company has none of them so just finished my last week and playing it week to week from now on. going to furlough and the un employment route for what looks to be a month minimum. I love being able to hang out at home and with my family as well as no guilt fishing trips every other day. we all work in order to use un employment insurance and its our money so I have no problem taking that to pay bills. hopefully everyone will have access to health insurance……this is always the hang up.

B-man

I’m still rehabilitating miles and miles of utilities, but when the people who pay both of us to do our work run out of money, we do too.

I hope like hell everything bounces back quick in the service sectors being hit the hardest. If it doesn’t, you and I will eventually see the slump too.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The virus is the big unknown , if it dies out or a vaccine is made soon,this will all be a moot problem . On the other hand if what the government is predicting 240000 dead,we won’t really be worried about unimployment. I’ll be worried about my father with a liver transplant and my wife and children,and me.

Well there you have it. Another repeat of history?

When the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, and hundreds of panzer divisions invaded Poland in 1939, millions of people worried about their “wife and children, and me”…and millions died.

You can hold out both your hands and in one, you can accept defeat and have no hope.

Or in the other, you can fold it with your other hand and hope and pray that you and your loved one’s can survive (however that may be).

And millions upon millions have done that before.

Without hope, you have nothing left.

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Morel King wrote:</div>

I’m still rehabilitating miles and miles of utilities, but when the people who pay both of us to do our work run out of money, we do too.

I hope like hell everything bounces back quick in the service sectors being hit the hardest. If it doesn’t, you and I will eventually see the slump too.

👆👆👆👆👆 This! Our company is actually pretty busy right now. Only problem is, will businesses and residential customers have the fund to pay when the bills are due?

MNdrifter

I’m in energy. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff the company I work for is doing/trying to do.

Attachments:
    1. E69CF243-C249-49B1-A196-442BCC4DCFAB.jpeg

2. FBCBE92E-71AE-4CD3-B98C-0673F568C49A.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m sorry Andy, I’m just looking at what is happening all around us.

MILLIONS of people are filing unemployment for the first time in their lives….. Millions more are likely coming right behind them.

My family members and co-workers are having hours/salaries cut… and even their job cut, and we’re barely getting started.

I’m an optimist, but to believe everything is going to be back to normal this fall is a pipe dream.

It’s understandable, there’s no shortage of anxiety for most everyone.

As the worlds greatest leaders have accomplished, is to not panic the people and lose our heads.

Nations have come back many times from catastrophe and economic ruin. Look at Poland now!!

I hope that we can hold on to the hope that we will come through this (certainly not unscathed), but that we try to keep some positive. There are all the young children that need comfort now, not doom.

Dwelling on all the worst case scenarios does not give much of “the straw” that people need to hold on to now.

That’s all I got…good night.

B-man

toast

I’m with you Andy, God willing the majority of people can keep working right through this mess and in a year from now things will be even better than before!

I’m not giving up, and I’ll never give up. If there’s work to be done, I’ll be there doing it. If my company offers me voluntary time off, I will decline the offer with a smile. The show must go on, and will go on.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.