Rod build?

• Red Eye

Few questions for any rod builders and jigging rod experts. I have been building both summer and winter rods for several years. Mostly for myself, friends, family and coworkers. Im in the process of building myself a new rod for pitching light jigs. Mostly be used in the spring with spottail minnows. I’m thinking a 6’8” medium/light fast action would work pretty well for this.

One question is do you guys perfer a split grip or regular full cork handle?

Where should a rod like this balance out with the reel on?

And last do you ever add weight in the butt of the blank to get the rod to balance better? What do you use as weight?

I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would not call myself a rod expert but that sounds like a good length. For myself I would even go to 7’ if you will normally be in a boat. I hate the way split grips feel but some like them. The balance should be right in front of the reel so the tip goes up to 10.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

All depends how you like the rod and that feel for presentation.

No disrespect at all but seems odd a rodbuilder of several years would ask such questions. grin

I’m with tuma, longer might be a bit better just for distance. But understandable some guys like shorter rods. I’d go at least 610. Ml or even certain light blanks would be fine imo.

Pitching rods I like my rod with reel when in hand to be at that 10oclock or so. That’s where I hold it the majority of the time so I want the least amount of fatigue holding it there. I will sacrifice overall weight, to get that balance right. My opinion most tennis elbow and arm soreness comes from stress on the forearm from wrist stress rather than a few ounces on the rod reel setup. Some guys hold the reel with 2 fingers on top, others one, some all beneath the reel arm so it’s all relative to the user.

I’m done with my rod builder armchair advice now, good luck! toast

Red Eye

Nhamm just trying to gather all the info I can get. Learn something new every day they say. Have you guys added weight to the but to get the balance right? Thanks for the help.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

All work and no play makes nhamm a grumpy boy. My apologies.

I prefer to find a reel that balances than butt weights. Tried it, didnt like it. Wish bottom drag reels would come back in style, they worked really well for this.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Some guys hold the reel with 2 fingers on top, others one, some all beneath the reel arm so it’s all relative to the user.

I have never thought of that. I have always thought people hold the reel with 2 in front and 2 in back. (like me) That way you don’t have to readjust your grip to cast.
    I wouldn’t use weights. Find a reel that would balance it out at 10.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I take alot of people fishing, and have seen many grips. The upside down spinning reel hold is still my favorite hah

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

@ Red Eye ..I need more info about your build ..see your PM’s

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I take alot of people fishing, and have seen many grips. The upside down spinning reel hold is still my favorite.

I seen that trick the other day when I took my son to the dock. A little old Chinese lady was fishing the reel upside down and I tried to ask her why , but she just started saying no no no no no no, but like 5000 more times

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

For balance I would use the lightest guide train you can, Pac Bay Minima 4s are pretty good (4s not 3s). Carbon fiber Tennessee handle would be your lightest and arguably most sensitive seat. Then for a butt you can use a heavier material like burnt or composite cork.
    I was told adding any thing to the blank takes away the sensitivity but balance also comes into play with sensitivity imho so I didn’t glue the butt cap in place until I played with adding and subtracting weight to the back end for balance. Once I was happy I glued the cap in place.
    Did that with a 7’6″ blank, I would think at 6’8″ balance probably wouldn’t be to much of an issue once you add the reel. Do a mock up and play with it until you get what you like. Just my ramblings, much more experienced guys here.
    Just curious what blank you looking to build on?

Red Eye

Thanks for the help and tips guys. Special thanks to trumar for taking the extra time for a phone call.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.