Lake Zumbro Update 9-4-10

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I spent some time on the lake Saturday fishing for crappie. Considering the cold blast weather we had the day before with high winds and a huge drop in air temps a person would think ”structure hugging fish” but I just didn’t feel right about fishing that technique so I chose open deep water. I was looking for suspending open water crappies and found them.

The technique I chose was trolling with my electric trolling motor with a Mini-Mite jig and a waxie [how did you ever guess, lol]. Those that know me know I love to fish this way.

I tossed out the jig behind the boat and trolled watching my sonar/gps unit for fish and baitfish in the area. I chose to fish this time sitting in the back of the bost while running my electric trolling motor which has a long cord that makes it possible to fish back there. My jig would be out behind the boat further this way and the boat would spook suspened fish less.

The surface water temps were 68-72 degrees depending on where I was and the time of day. That is a big drop from the upper 70s to lower 80s that we had not long ago. When I was pulling out of the boat landing area I saw some kids swimming so I asked them if the water was warm or cold. Their answer was warm which was a good reminder that the water temps were warmer than the air temps.

The rod and reel combo that I used most of the day was a St. Croix Avid 6.6” light action with a fast tip and a Okuma Avenger AV20 reel. I like both the Averger and Trophy Pro series reels. They are not that expensive and work great for me. The rod is very sensitive and I just love St. Croix rods. You can really feel the fish with them.

Its hard to believe that it is September already. Where did the summer go? But I am very glad that those 80s and 90 degree air temps are gone. If it would stay in the 60s and 70s all year round that would be great with me. Hey…..if you are going to dream it might as well be big. lol.

Be sure and get out on the water whether it is in a boat or shore fishing and enjoy the the beautiful weather and scenery that the Lord has created for us. Theres just something about being on or near water. Its so relaxing and peacefull.

See you on the water.

Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

ZumBRO, Bill, not ZumBRE. lol

The fish really don’t have the size that was there a couple years ago. Too much of a hit over the last couple winters. But there are larger fish there to be found when we shed a little more water temp and get the kiddies back in school.

The blow Saturday was something, but better than Friday I’d imagine. We need to cool down just a bit more and those in your hands will be much larger. Beautiful weather though for sitting in a boat. Good job.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

OPPS !!! Just goes to show you BRO that even us older fishermen get excited when we start talkin about fishin. Of course we both know that we aren’t as OLD as Mike. Hows it going Tommy? Been out on the water much lately?

Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Yes and no. I’ve been spread pretty thin this summer but have managed some water time. With the cooler weather and school having started now tomorrow I’ll be out more. I have some new stuff to continue testing for sales on the website and do a mix of fishing between the Zum, river and the local reservoirs to give the new tackle a fair shake on a variety of water types.

The summer heat really slammed the door on some of my angling and then we’ve been busy all summer it seems….much more so than other years.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The best bite for crappies for me lately has been in 18-24 feet of water. Again the Mini-Mite jigs with a waxie slow trolling with the electric trolling motor has still been working best for me.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.