Silver Creek Reservoir

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

OK guys, here’s the low-down on this pool.Not being able to fish this pond is NOT the fault of the DNR or the City of Rochester, but, rather, that of Haverhill township. When the land purchasing for the flood control work was in gear a few years ago, the joint powers ,as they are called, ran into a roadblock at this site….seems that Haverhill did not want water storage at all and certainly did not want fishing on anything that might hold water. Period. So in order to procede with the flood control work and not be held up by that township the joint powers plodded ahead without pursuing these issues. Today the land -use permits required to maintain this reservoir are largely controlled by that township.
    I spoke with the office of Gary Nuemann this morning about this issue and gathered the above input from there. Also mentioned was that as the discussions were taking place back then, Mr. Neumann did in fact champion the cause of the fisherman. Gary Nuemann,incidently, is the city administrator for the City of Rochester, was the go-to person with issues about the flood control program and still is the go-to person with issues related to such.
    The DNR did an assessment at the request of Rochester when this project got underway. As I understand it, this assessment showed that the finished lake would be only marginally deep enough to sustain game fish species and was instrumental in getting the overall height of the dam raised in the event that Haverhill should ever decide to loosen it’s throat-hold regarding the future of this lake. In lieu of the findings of the DNR and the lack of cooperation from the township, they decided against any stocking program. No sports dollars were dumped into something we cannot use.
    I am attempting to collect the names of the county commisioners in Haverhill’s juristiction as well as that of the township government’s board members, secretary and treasurer. If Anyone wants to have a prayer of ever seeing that utilized as a resource for fishing, I’d suggest letters be addressed to them. Lots of letters. Many, many, many letters. Not nasty, just why and when. Have att’em.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Thanks Tom.

BenPurvis1

thanks, that makes scense but i still ponder one thing…. if the resivor has had no stocking then why is the stream coming from it such a good hot spot in the spring/ winter for crappie?? think the fish came all the way from the zumbro??? that a long swin for a fish i would think.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Tom. Is there an e-mail address we could send short letters to asking that this body of water be allowed to be used for recreational fishing? This way might attract alot more letters as much easier for everyone to do. Thanks, Bill

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

alright…….this may be a long shot, and maybe considered a bit “questionable” legally , but if someone really wants to get out there and try out the fishing (durning the winter) here’s my idea……..

it really all comes down to public water access……..here are the rules straight out of the new ’04 fishing regs……..

1. What is lawful access?

A stream or lake is lawfully accessible if there is a public access, or if

public land or a public road right-of-way abuts the surface of the water,

or if you have permission to cross private land to reach the surface of

the water.

2. What is recreational use?

Recreational use includes boating, swimming, fishing, hunting,

trapping, and similar activities. It includes walking in the water in

connection with such activities regardless of who owns the land beneath

the surface of the water.

3. What waters are open to recreational use?

A stream or lake is open to recreational use over its entire surface if it

is capable of recreational use and if it is lawfully accessible. Any water

that will float a canoe is capable of recreational use, but other waters may

also qualify depending upon the circumstances.

if my recelection serves me right, i do believe there is a stream coming out of one end of the lake that is crossed by a bridge…….since you can lawfully access that stream, you can lawfully walk up it, under the colvert, and on to the reservoir……..

theoretically, that should work……although i’ve obviously never checked it out close enough to know if it’s even possible to walk through the colvert or whatever else……..

but i guess it really all comes down to how badly you want to talk to a CO or sheriff man…….you can almost gaurantee they’ll be called out. but i’d say if you have the regs book on you and do it completely legal they couldn’t do much about it .

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Ahhh Jake!!! I remember when I was young and had the same wild ideas. Even had the t-shirt that said Question Authority. Too old, fat and slow now…..but in my day..

newt
    Pillager, MN

I know what you mean sarge. If it were 20 years ago you guys would be reading my Silver Creek Reservoir trip report right now.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

And besides you can buy alot of ice fishing or open water tackle from Mike at HOF with that fine money. Which would you rather buy-fishing tackle or a fatter wallet for the law enforcement. I know which I would rather buy. Don’t get me wrong, law enforcement is great when you need them but you don’t need to ”foolishly” contrbute.

Thanks, Bill

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

what can i say……..gotta love the loop holes

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Jake, I see you have lost weight. [good] But now you need a hair cut. Or can we just use you for bait to catch some panfish?
    Thanks, Bill

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

wait a second……..that’s not me?!?!?!?!?!?!!!! ……….ECNOOK??????

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.