Old dogs, new tricks….

• ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

Thanks to the good lord above, when Mike/HOF and I go fishing, we are usually met with success.

Do we catch fish, lots of them, yes.

Do we enjoy a good fish fry on occassion, yes.

Do we feel confidant with our techniques and presentation, yes.

Most importantly, are we happy during and after fishing, yes again.

With that said, are we still missing out by not broadening our horizons and experimenting more?

When we head out, we always tie on our favorite jig/lure/bait. Those we precieve as our high per centage go to baits, because of past success.

On those slow or bad days, we think to ourselves, stupid fish, they don’t know what they are missing out on.

When it is the fish that are saying, hello, feed me something different or try and locate me elsewhere.

Will we change or adopt, no we become either lazy or pig headed, thinking, well if it worked before, there is no reason is shouldn’t work today.

Usually our boat makes a bee line to honey holes that have produced in the past. Our ace up the sleeve. When that fails, we sit there with dumb founded expressions, scratching our heads and come up with all kinds of philosophical excuses, too hot, too cold, water is too high or too low, water is too clear, too stained and dirty, etc., etc., etc..

On the way to those so called honey holes, we pass usually at high speed other locations that in our mind, we know probably hold some promise. Usually we avoid them because, well, we want to catch fish and not be disappointed by what might seem like a waste of time.

We forget it was exploring that we accidently discovered prime and productive waters. Lets try and find new spots.

I was recently digging through my tackle bag and it dawned on me, wow Ron, you sure have accumulated a lot of crap over the years. I have got over 30 different choices. Some of them, I can’t even recall what they named them.

At the time I purchased them, they looked like they would perform. That is why I bought them.

Why then am I not using them or experimenting? Probably that old mind set of have confidence in what I know for sure what works. Well maybe it is time to switch it up a little bit. Who knows, might discover another high per centage go to.

I am going to make a deliberated effort to start tying on something new and something different,,,,,,just to see.

We enjoy and expect to catch fish, however, the actual catch is only a part of the whole picture.

This old dog is going back to school.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thats exactly why I started a new goal for myself this year to try to learn more about the bodies of water I fish. Searching out new areas and learning more about the bottom structure of a body of water goes along ways to catching more fish in the long run. Sure, there will be days or part of days that you won’t catch much. Thats fishing. But what you learn from that day on the water can be priceless down the road. It opens your eyes like Ron said and you learn something. And you become a better fisherman for it. Also what or how much you catch isn’t what fishing is really about in my mind. Its enjoying your time on the water is whats important. I enjoy being on the water both during a good bite and a bad bite day. I simply love being on the water. You can make a difernce in your catching by experimenting with different lures and checking out new areas to fish. Thanks for the topic Ron. It helps to open our eyes to see where we can improve our knowledge, our fun, and our catching. Fortunately I have found the learning curve to be shorten by Mike at HOF carrying the right lures for catching fish in our local bodies of water. It helps to have someone who sells these already proven lures to actually use and test them himself which is what Mike does. I just need to take a real good look at the habitat and bottom of the lake/river and use them in these new areas to fish.

Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Being flexible in what your are using for a lure/bait and where you look for the fish is a big part of the fishing trip.

And while it maight have been fishing that got you on the water on any given instance, it is how one looks at the whole picture that determines the value or the trip.

Great write up here, Ron.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

How come only us old dogs are the only ones adding to this thread??? I know one more old dog who hasn’t joined in yet.
    Thanks, Bill

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Quote:

I know one more old dog who hasn’t joined in yet

Ya Mike where are you?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Mike’s got worms today and tomorrow….delivery that is.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I know one more old dog who hasn’t joined in yet

Ya Mike where are you?

I figured they were talking about you Dano , but I’m here! Yes, I agree with everything Ron said. Just got to remember to keep trying different things when the bite is off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.