Throw them a curve ball

• ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

For years when ice fishing, I always had my supply of waxworms. They were the meat I tipped my jig regardless what jig selection I picked. On good days I could score, but on slow days it left me wondering.
    I am now going to offer them another entree. Spikes and or Euro Lavre is like the difference between steak and lobster.
    My point here, don’t be afraid to experiment, try different live baits.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Thanks for the suggestion I am one that does not do to much in changing if they don’t bite what I present them I pack it up figuring there just not hungry. But now I am going to stock up on a variety of things to present them… Thanks again

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Experiment….its not just for the Mayo Clinic! Excellent post Ron. When I am on the ice, I carry both the waxies and the Euros as well as some scented “other” products and a wide assortment of plastic.

The red Euros are my favorite, but the white ones are hotties too. The white ones are much easier to keep too.

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

Another very important thing to remember here. Your bait purchase is really the cheapest part of your trip. Don’t scrimp. What are we talking here, a couple lousy dollars.
    Keep the offering fresh, you catch a fish, look at your bait. If it is ripped and torn, put a new fresh one on.
    Hello, a nice new fresh one is what got you the bite to begin with, does that tell you something? Who wants leftovers, unless you are working the night shift and there is nothing more to offer.

icemac33

I was consistently catching fish this past weekend on waxies and red spikes(loaded up at HOF on the way out)without much size.I switched to minnows and the big boys showed up on the camera without many takers. Solution? Minnow heads. They were all over it. Unfortunately it was time to go home by then. I tried about 20 different combos until I found the right one. It was hesitation until I hit it and the attitude of the fish made a 100% turn-around. It was pretty amazing to watch on the camera.

icemac33

You can see the line here where I switched to minnow heads. Starts right at the perch. My family was happy to see me and I’ve heard no complaints about having fish twice this week.

icemac33

I don’t know where you start calling it a “bull” gill. I’m considering this to be one either way.He was a fun one to catch and the last one of the day.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

THAT THERE IS A BULL SON!!! LOOK AT THE BIG KNOB HEAD ONT HAT THING..I GOT ONE JUST A HAIR UNDER 10” SATURDAY AFTER MIKE POINTED ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WITH THE WIERD PURPLE WIGGLER THING

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

There we go mentioning that purple again. Seriously it seems like people are catching them on different colors on different waters. A person has to be prepared with alot of colors as you never know what the fish want till you hit the water and start fishing. Like RHW mentioned about bait being the cheapest of your trip expense you will also find that the jig is also a cheap expense. When you figure that buying a bunch of jigs in different colors and sizes and figure in all the years those jigs will last you as you hardly ever lose one ice fishing that investment is very very little per trip. And the ice jigs will work just as good in open water too. In other words they are a all year round lure.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.