Riviera Maya fishing ?

• A – Aron
    Red Wing

My folks are headed to Mexico for 2 weeks at the end of the month, why now and not a month ago I don’t know…? My Dad was thinking of booking a charter for the day to do some fishing. Does anybody have any expeirince or recommendations?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I was less than thrilled with Captain Rick’s out of Puerto Aventuras. They might be good for a someone looking for a casual trip, but I wanted more involvement. My wife did catch a dandy dorado, though.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Capt Ricks sucks. We used him out of Cozumel last month, We opted for 6 hours 1/2 deep sea and half bottom fishing… only got deep sea, no tackle or rods for bottom fishing. Smelled diesel exhaust fumes for 6 hours, trolling in 8 foot seas, were supposed to be dropped off at Margaritaville in town to cook up fish, that didn’t happen, dumped us back at the resort dock while the wives were waiting at Margaritaville 12 miles away. We were all about being laid back and not worrying too much, but that trip was ridiculous to us. We caught one small Mahi Mahi and a small barracuda.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Anyone try Ivan’s? I’ve heard better comments on other forums. I’m heading down in April as well.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

No way would I ever do captain ricks again. All I could understand from the captain was “get to the front until we hook up”. I was pissed when I walked off that boat

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

Just looked up this Captain ricks place, and funny enough on their site they have a disclaimer against bad reviews claiming they are all from a rival charter. While Im sure that happens, I have never seen someone have to put a disclaimer on their site against bad reviews. coincidenece?… given what you guys are saying Im guessing no.

mmitties
    SE MN

X4 Captain Ricks is the worst fishing experience I’ve ever had in my life.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Fished out of Cancun 2 years ago but not an ocean trip. My bnl and I fished the inner lagoons. Caught barracuda and hooked one Tarpon. Fished out of an 18 ft. flats boat with a guide. Website is cancuntarponfishing. Getting around in the mangroves and seeing some huge artesion wells boiling the water was pretty sweet. 6 hours was $325 I think and they furnished everything. I would do it again.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Just looked up this Captain ricks place, and funny enough on their site they have a disclaimer against bad reviews claiming they are all from a rival charter.

That is funny! I can guarantee you that I am not from a rival charter. I’m just a MN guy that paid for an overpriced boat ride.

sktrwx2200

Captain ricks is a joke.. told resort rep. we only wanted to bottom fish.we have had two prior trips of endless hours of trolling with nothing, and just getting sea sick. They said it wouldnt be problem. Captain said OK to bottom fishing as well. Left the harbor, out come the trolling set ups… Trolled around with nothing .. we kept asking about bottom fishing.. nothing happened. Trolled baits for 4 hours, got bit one time. didnt get any hooks into fish. Reeled the bait up and he set it into a holder. I went over to bait to inspect the SQUID looking plastic. Hooks were completely rusted out. No sharpness to the hook whatsoever. I couldnt even get it to stick my hand or my nail with alot of pressure. JOKE. switched to bottom fishing last hour… Caught a few fish..

I just think its so much easier as far as the amount of work the crew and captain has to do , to just let out the trolling gear… bottom fishing and cutting up bait and keeping the boat over the reef is just too much work. They want the EASY money… which is bullshzzz.. We bought the whole boat out so we would be sure to have all the action.

Fishing in CANCUN/ COZEMEL area in the DEC/ JAN… would be one of the last things I spent money on down there.

I highly recommend Galileo Fishing out of Puerto Morelos. My wife and I went out with them last May on our honeymoon and they worked their tail off to get us on our target species of Sailifsh.

They are a family run company that show a passion for fishing. Their fleet of boats are very clean and the prices are very reasonable as well. They even clean and cook your fish for you at the local restaurant after your charter is complete at no additional cost.

Best way to contact them would probably be via Facebook.

Attachments:
    1. 10325422_10203898173841675_3663307070002122712_n.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.