Right/left or up/down

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Went to the range yesterday and shot the smoke pole in prep for WI gun season. The results got me thinking which way would you prefer your gun be “off” a little bit. Shooting with open sights I was able to at 50yds punch dead center. Took it out to 100yds and had one shot about 2in high and one about 2in low give or take a little. However they were dead on left to right. I chalked that up to open sights at 100yds so its hard to know your exact hold on a small red dot of the bullseye, and set my shooting limits with the gun at 100 or less preferably under 75. But it got me thinking..

If your shooting a gun that has some variation in it would you prefer to know it’s going to hit on the same line as your sight but maybe a bit high or a bit low? Or would you be more comfortable with a gun that pulls a bit left or right?

Im thinking I’d rather know it’s hitting in line with my sights but maybe above or below a bit. Reasoning being if I hit a deer high I have spine trauma and anchors the deer. Hit low it’s a clean miss under shot or still in vital organs. With left to right issues you could be in the wrong half of the deer.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Given your choices, I’d much rather have the windage a non-issue too far to the right or left can gut punch a deer and then the misery begins. I’d much rather be a bit high or a bit low.

By smoke pole, are you referring to a muzzle loader? If so and if you can hold a 3″ 5-shot group at 100 yards you’d be good to go.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

100 yards is a long poke with iron sights for the vast majority of shooters. IMO, the largest portion of the difference is probably down to you.

Also, this just demonstrates why I always say that anything less than 5 shots isn’t a group at all. You simply cannot tell anything definitive about anything with less than 5 shots. It’s a PITA sometimes with a busy range, costs more, etc, etc, I’ve heard all the excuses and I’ve used them myself on occasion. That doesn’t change anything, however.

IMO there’s no preference. Anything other than consistent performance presents it’s own set of problems. Neither of which is more desirable than the other.

The only thing I care about is knowing the range at which the performance (both the rifle’s and mine) crosses outside of what I consider the acceptable margin for error given the weapon, species hunted, and likely shooting situations to be encountered.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

100 yards is a long poke with iron sights for the vast majority of shooters…. The only thing I care about is knowing the range at which the performance (both the rifleā€™s and mine) crosses outside of what I consider the acceptable margin for error given the weapon, species hunted, and likely shooting situations to be encountered.

Grouse

Very good point regarding the 100 yard poke. I wouldn’t take a shot at 100 with open sights personally.

I sight both of my black powder long guns for a 100 yard max. I shoot 1″ 5 shot groups unless wind is on the range using either gun. Knowing precisely that each gun is good for the 100 doesn’t mean I am going to chance a shot beyond what I know is good for me. 100 is my limit. My .50 black powder pistol is shooting at an inch for 5 shots at 50 yards and I won’t humor a shot at 60 with it just because I am not comfortable with taking a longer shot with the pistol. I like the last paragraph Grouse has written as it sums up what everyone should be adhering to.

CaptainMusky

Also, make sure you allow the barrel to cool down completely between shots of your group too. You will get different results with a hot barrel.
    Like others, I would have it “miss” high or low, but not left or right if given the choice.

grpubl7
    Central WI

My advice to anyone contemplating the use of iron sights (any style) for hunting is to use a 6 o’clock hold when sighting in and then, adjust windage/elevation to allow for impact “AT” 6 o’clock or slightly above. You will be able to get far better sight definition on the target. Aiming at the center of the bull is a real crap shoot and is certain to open groups significantly. For hunting, you simply hold center mass once you are zeroed.

Normally, a 6-8 inch aiming black is correct for getting a good sight picture at 100yds with a rifle.

Attachments:
    1. 6-Oclock.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.