Rifled choke tube

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Wanted to see what experience IDO may have on this subject. Now ideally I’d like to get my hands on a savage 220 (or an Ithaca deer slayer if I’m feeling rich) but with the scarcity of them right now I would rather wait until I can get exactly what I want and not the first one I can find. This will primarily be for my son who is quickly becoming ‘hunting aged’ I should add. I currently have an older Winchester 20ga pump (no longer produced and to my knowledge no rifle barrel an option outside of a custom build) which doesn’t pattern rifled slugs to my liking (probably because that CVA Accura has spoiled me). I do have a smoothbore ‘slug’ barrel for it (and a choked vent. Rib barrel) I have been thinking about picking up a rifled choke tube and trying it out to see if it tightens the groups up. So my questions to IDO are 1) has anyone done this and seen a marked improvement (would likely still use rifled slugs) and 2) do I risk any abnormal damage toy vent rib barrel by throwing slugs through it with that rifled choke (seeing as it’s no longer made I don’t want to ruin the ‘bird’ barrel)? I’ve watched a number of video reviews and seen both noticeable improvements and no noticeable improvements. I’m not expecting it to turn it into a weapon where I can throw multiple slugs through the same hole at 50 but I couldn’t do better than about a 4″-5″ group at 50 in the slug barrel(tried with both Winchester super x and rem. sluggers) which just ain’t cutting it for me (for reference (that it’s not me) the attached picture was two rounds at 50 with my Accura I shot prior to the shotgun, didn’t take a picture of the shotgun groups as I was not pleased with them (only shot twice to conserve my blackhorn powder))

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20211030_185459991-scaled.jpg

tornadochaser

I primarily use my Optima muzzleloader for MN gun season, but I have shot dozens of deer with a variety of shotguns from 20 gauge youth smoothbores to custom single shot Thompson Centers. I’ve been shooting a Briley rifled slug choke in my winchester SX2 for over 15 years. Shoots the best with the 2 3/4″ 1 1/4 oz remington buckhammers. I can put 5 shots in a pie plate at 80-85 yards, and that’s just using a vent rib with fiber front sight. Lightfield 3″ commander sabots also shoot really nice through this setup.

You might or might not see an accuracy improvement switching to a rifled choke. I’d be very content with a 4″ group at 50 yards through a smoothbore barrel for a youth though. If your hunting location dictates the need for longer shots than 50 yards, I’d bite the bullet and buy a dedicated 20 gauge slug setup or another muzzleloader.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

That’s kind of where I am at, would like to get a savage 220 (or better yet a deer slayer but that’s $$$) but about the time I started looking last year they started getting hard to find, so thinking to the choke tube idea as a filler till I can find the 220 I want (as opposed to the first one I can find).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.