Riding Mowers Revisited

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

My old, semi trusty, Craftsman rider blew up on me this fall after 15 years of service. So, I’ll be in the market for a new or used mower soon. I’ve read all the past threads but thought I’d throw it out there again for some recommendations. I’ve got a little over an acre of grass, some smaller hills and fairly smooth lawn. Not really interested in a zero turn and won’t use a blower – strictly grass and a lot of leaves in the fall. Some light towing also. Give me something that will not be under powered and has a decent tranny and engine. I see a lot of used Deere mowers for sale – but I don’t know what to stay away from and what are good models. About 3k to do the job??

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have a two-year-old 42 inch John Deere that I’m gonna be selling because I bought a Toro 60 inch zero turn if you’re interested

Brian Bezanson

I like the water cooled 17 hp Kawasaki engines on Deere mowers.
    I have 2 of them since I have 2 places to take care of.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

last summer I traded my Husqvarna for another one, the new is a 46 inch cut with a 22 hp motor… tractor style.. really happy with it..

mojogunter

I have a 2014 John Deere X360. It has been flawless. It has about 550 hours on it. Kawasaki 22hp with a 48″ deck and power steering. I use it for just mowing and pulling an enclosed two place snowmobile trailer back and forth from the back yard in the spring and fall. I would buy another one.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

X500 would be the “bare bones” model that has the slightly heavier transmission than the X300s if I was going to tow trailers around.

I run an X540 that has the power steering and is liquid cooled and bought it was 500 hours for $2500

MX1825

I’m like bucky. Lots of used 500 series Deere’s around. Good units with the excellent Kawasaki engines. Also a lot of them will have a 54 inch deck. Makes for A few less trips around the yard.

Atavar

I have a RYOBI 80V riding mower and I love it. My yard is 1 acre in front and two hilly/sloped acres in back. I can easily do either yard on a charge, both if I pay attention and don’t waste time. The batteries are three years old.
    I love not having to deal with gas cans or oil changes or air filters or tune ups. Just jump on and go.
    It is heavy so a lift for changing blades is a necessity. The electrics are pricey but buy once cry once.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Both my cub cadets with kawi motors have been great. Ones a 0 turn with 54 inch deck and the other is a regular style lawn tractor with I think a 42. Both are great machines.

hnd

X500+ and you’ll be set.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.