REEL good Question?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was looking in the Cabela’s CAT alog the otherday. By their BIG Kat rods they have two or three open face spinning reels and rod and reel combo’s for a REEL y good price.

Has anyone use both spinning and bait casting reels? Which do you prefer and why?

They talk about being able to have the bail closed, but don’t say if there’s a clicker?

Also, did they ever discover the reason for the fish kill on the Red?

Thanks,
    Newbie Cat Catcher Brian

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kinda quiet down here in the Red River forum. Dirk W among others answered my question. I’m now the proud owner of a Big Iron and a Garcia 7000.

But, still wondering if anyone found out about the fish kill?

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

last time i spoke with dennis a couple months ago, he hadnt heard anything new about it. I notice he hasnt been showing up here either.
    I pray he hasnt gone weak on us and gone snaugering or worse yet for the ugly green vermin. Ill admint I am going through some serious withdrawls, I miss the red river and all the cats it produces and just being on open water down here in the twin cities. Oh well, only a couple months to go and its open water season again

Cattin_Addict

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks CA!

I thought I was talking to myself for a while. I plan on taking my wife up there this year…daytime cat fishing. As someone else posted…

only 101 days left ’till spring!

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

yes sir, cats bite around the clock on the red. I have caught decent fish up there at all times of the morning, day, and evening but i have to admit i have never fished past 11 pm in the fargo area. I generally fish from about 7:30am till a couple hours past sunset without ever getting out of the boat and that my limit for a day in a boat lol.
    some people say im addicted to cat fishing, so thats how i got my name here

Cattin_Addict

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear ya…I don’t know what it is about them…maybe the mystery or the (relitivly) few people target them. So is the Fargo area the closest place to have some chomps? I’m taking my wife along so it does have to be close to a hotel. I got her a bucket for Christmas, so I may too stay out that long.

Any info you can give me would appreciated, from where to stay to what size cut bait to use. Not in too big of hurry though .

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Hey brian, if i have time and catch my own suckers i would fillet then up and use about 2 inch square chunks. More often than not, i end up buying 2 dozen large suckers and just cut them in 3 pieces(head,body,tail secton) keep some meat on the head and tail pieces. I have found the body section generally produces the best with the guts for scent.
    and change bait often, fresh bait works best.
    There are hotels right near the river there as well, just a mile or so from the Covenant landing and fair priced, i think it was like 40 a night.
    almost forgot dont expect to buy suckers in Fargo, they dont sell them, you should either bring them with you on ice or get them in Moorehead .

Cattin_Addict

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Hey Brian,
    The Roadway inn is about $69.00 a night unless your a lazy state employee like me. (or you have a business discount) Then it’s about $59.00
    C/A caught his 1st 20 pounder right there in Fargo at the Coventant landing. It was at best a decent snag most people would have gone past it. She is still there maybe you can get her this year. Good luck.

Alas, Now once again I must be the bearer of bad news…
    It is offical. The artist formerly known as icatchbigcats was spotted at the Betty Crocker clinic yesterday and he vowed “never to go catfishing again.” The artist continued “I’m done with them,(catfish) they pull to hard. They (catfish) hurt my arms.”
    The artist was then seen jumping into his VW mini bus and heading off to Devils lake in search of perch. Then I think he was going to join Tony Dean down in South Dakota and follow him around the state by becoming a dreaded “Dean Head.”
    C/A I blame you. You are the one that was with him when he caught that snaugger last year.
    One down,
    Stay away from snauggers,
    Bowfinhunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info guys! I’m going to print it off so I have it this summer. Hey in June, would the dam area be best or just work the snags?

One last thing about icatchbigcats. I’ve always heard the phrase <sent in PM>

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

“B-man” beware of June it can get tough up there. Almost any other time is better. But perhaps Ed or the Dean Head can answer better then I.

Update on i.c.s.s.
    I have a report from a deputy from Brookings county. The (tony) Dean Head was spotted with his guru ice fishing for wallnies/snaugger/perch on 01/21/04
    They quickly packed up and left. Muttering something about
    Chamberlin… No report of any fish taken. (SKUNKED)
    I’ll keep you updated for further sightings
    Bowfinhunter

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Brian, why send it in pm? it so much more fun out here in the open to hassle the snaugger king Dennis. Bowfin, i think you might to too hard on ICSS , claiming he is out jigging those green vermin with his 6 lb test ultra light gear. yes i would reckon he is out out there but as you pointed out, his arms would get tooo tired, i would wager he is snauggering. Ill back up my claim if he doesnt post soon. I have proof, and not afraid to use it . Sooo dennis ol boy, ill post what you were really doing up in Canada labor day while me and my boy were catching those sumo cats. Dont use that old line “i was having computer problems

Cattin_Addict

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hi Guys,
    Good to see you have not changed this winter. I have been a little lazy turning on this darn computer. You will be glad to hear that the only ice I have been on this winter has a couple of red lines running across it and also a couple blue lines. Have yet to see anyone pull a fish through it, but I have seen a few good fights.
    I am wondering though, why I chose carrying mail as a profession where the high temperature for the day has a hard time reaching minus 20. So if I come across as if my brain is froze, that is not all that is froze.
    As for your question Briank, I have used both baitcasting and spinning reels and I would only suggest baitcasting reels for catfish. The free spool with the line out alarms do not work real well on spinning reels. I do admit I have not tried all the different brands of spinning reels but the ones I have used are a long way from reaching the quality of the baitcasting reels I use.
    Hope to see you up this way next summer.
    Dennis

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“Hope to see you up this way”

ICBC, did you find out if that week was free? Don’t recall which one it was..right off hand…

B

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.