Recommendations on Lead Core Reels –

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Guys – After viewing the forums there is some really good info out there on how to get into trolling LC.

I just grabbed some 27lb (not sure if that was overkill) Sufix 832 Advanced, but need recommendations on a few reels.

I have the ability to fish Lakers in Ontario once a year, so I would rather not drop $300 on 2 Tekotas, but there are some potentially 20lbers where I go if I was lucky enough to get into them. Normally we are just jigging Ciscos but I think I would have a major advantage over my buddy if I trolled spoons.

I need something reliable – What can I get into around $80/reel?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I had great luck with Cabelas Depthmaster reels. I have switched over to Tekotas but they still worked well when I sold them.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If you are only going to use them once or twice a year, I would stick to something like a daiwa accudepth or sealine, or an okuma convector.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Thanks guys – I’m leaning toward the Daiwa Accudepth. Anything to look out for around maintenance or repairs?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I have around 2000 hrs. on the cheaper of the bunch #57’s Accudepth by Daiwa and have had zero troubles. Yes … I said “2000 hrs.” ( about 8-9 years of 200 or more hrs. per year with the SAME reels pullin’ lead)

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For lake trout, I’d recommend diawa sealine. You can buy them used for right around $80.

zooks

Love my acccudepths.

Much better than depth master

X2. Have had nothing but hassles with my Depth Masters, lots of minor/nagging problems. You’ll see a noticeable change in quality going to Accudepths or Convectors. Good luck with what you decide.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Okuma coldwater is a nice reel.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Final Question – Most of my trips in the past are in early June and I find them in 35-45 FOW. Am I ok with the 27s? Or do I use 18lb as my test measurement for spooling since the 27lb test is the same diameter for the 832?

zooks

If you plan on putting a whole spool of lead core on each reel, I would opt for the 47 size to make sure you’ve got enough room. 27 size is best for flat line trolling IMO.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Yes, a 47 will hold 10 colors of traditional core. You’ll need a little more backing for the 832 Advanced core.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Just remember to add a swivel between the 832 and leader. You may know this already, but others have learned the hard way.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I use Daiwa Accudepths as well. I pull a lot of lead and have had no issues with any of mine.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I broke a few accudepths not a fan there is a big difference in quality to the sealing. I now only run tecotas. A lot more but way way better. If fishing salmon or lakers I would not buy accudepths at minimum go sealing. Size 47 I have 500 and 600 in tecotas.

I had terrible luck with sealines, out of eight reels, three had issues with the idle gear repeatedly wearing out and I had to replace more than half of the counter mechanisms after 5-6 years.

I use all Tekotas now, no complaints with those.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just remember to add a swivel between the 832 and leader. You may know this already, but others have learned the hard way.

Not saying that others haven’t had issues, but I never have.

I will say though that I typically have 2-3 swivels at various places near the spoon.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Okuma coldwater is a nice reel.

X2.

I only have one season on my okumas but I like them much better than my sealines. I have both the convectors and cold waters and IMO the cold waters are worth the extra few bucks. More solidly built and the LC reset is in a better place to avoid accidentally bumping it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.