Recommendation for a New Fuel Tank for a Pontoon.

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

My family has an older pontoon that needs a new fuel tank. I’d like to get an aluminum tank in the 12-20 gallon size. It will be mounted on the top on one of the pontoons at the back of the boat. It will be exposed to rain, splashing, and the sun all summer at ths pontoon is tied to a dock. Because of this, I need something that won’t allow water intrusion, and can also take the pressure buildup caused by hot, sunny days.

I’ve looked online at what is called fuel cells. From what I’ve read, fuel cells are just basically fuel tanks that are built for racing cars and have higher burst strengths and also have like a foam cell sponge in them to prevent sloshing. The fuel cells come in many different sizes and dimensions.

I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something that would work for this application.

Thanks

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something that would work for this application.

I would stay away from anything which is not sold and rated as being marine compliant. For whatever reason, one just does not see many topside aluminum tanks designed for marine usage.
    Moeller makes a complete line of non-aluminum tanks for various applications. Do not choose a below deck tank and then mount it above deck. If you go with Moeller, choose a tank from their “Topside Fuel Tank” offerings.

MoellerMoellerMoeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.