Recomended Deep Cycle Batteries?

• Walleye Johnson

Greetings! I need to replace (2) 24grp. 12 volt deep cycle batteries that I run in a series for my front and rear trolling motors (55pd. thrust). The old ones were not maintenance free and I want to go to maintenance free. I do run an on-board charger. Anyone know of a great battery they would recommend? Thanks, Greg

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Both Sears Die hard and Interstate have worked fine for me and the price is right. Both have given me at least 4 seasons of heavy use. You can throw a lot of money at a battery.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

I love my Interstates!

mattgroff

I don’t know where you are located but my buddy seeks interstate and drives a truck for them. Chances are he has what u need on his truck. Not sure where he is today but pm me if you want his number. Guarantee cheaper than the stores.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I use interstate in my boat and my cars and they have held up very well. Could you run all day on your old 24’s? If not I would look atleast to the 27’s to get some more run time.

Crappy Fisherman

Fleet Farm AGM deep cycle, more bang for your buck and they last for ever.

There are only 2 or 3 companies that make all the batteries. They are pretty much all made the same. It’s how you maintain them that’s important.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I run 2 group 27 Interstates on my PD 55 US2 with I piolt and I can go 2 full days and only use up about 45-50 % of mine !

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m a huge fan of Optima blue tops. They cost more, but they charge faster and have twice the runtime. Group 31 is ideal if your storage compartment is big enough, but group 27 will be good also.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

There are only 2 or 3 companies that make all the batteries. They are pretty much all made the same. It’s how you maintain them that’s important.

I have the normal deep cell from
    Fleet farm going on 4 years on it and still going strong. For around $100 $93 on sale right now is a great value. That’s a group 31 battery

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I’m a huge fan of Optima blue tops. They cost more, but they charge faster and have twice the runtime. Group 31 is ideal if your storage compartment is big enough, but group 27 will be good also.

I also need to replace my trolling motor batteries (24 volt) and my starting battery. I am also leaning toward Optima blue tops, I have an Optima blue top (not sure what the group size is) for my starting battery that has lasted for 12 years and still has 25% life left in it! This battery came out of my previous boat and was used for my 12 volt trolling motor. Is the Optima blue top meant to be used as a starting battery? I credit the long life of this battery to an on board 1.5 amp trickle charger that stays plugged in 24/7 when the boat is stored in the garage.

Walleye Johnson

FleetFarm has grp. 34 AGM batteries (being told same size as grp 24. regular deep cycle batteries) on sale right now for $25.00 off! which comes to $106.99 per battery. If I purchase 2 AGM batteries is there any problem charging them on my 3 bank on line charger on my boat which will have a regular (non AGM) deep cycle starting battery?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

WRONG!!!!! It is correct that there is only a half dozen major manufactures of batteries. But being made the same is way off. Did you ever stop to think why two batteries that look nearly identical with two different names could cost 10, 15, 20,…. or more difference? Because one is made to be cheaper than the other – PERIOD. They don’t just put a different sticker on them for branding under different names.

Too bad batteries weren’t made with clear plastic so you could see the difference in the thickness of the plates. Bottom line is if your comparing two comparable batteries; buy the one that weighs the most. You want the thicker/heavier plates to endure the draw/recharge cycle. Whimpy plates = whimpy batteries.

Also, companies like Sears, Farm/Fleet, Duralast,….all bid out their specs with different manufactures. So depending on who made that battery for that batch can make a difference.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Lead acid batteries….Trojan, from what I have been able to learn, uses virgin lead, not smelted from old lead. Wither that makes a difference or not, I don’t know, it is what I was told by the guy at the Trojan battery shop. I did get 7 years of service out of my 3 group 31 Trojan trolling motor batteries. Due to the cost of the replacement Trojan batteries, I went with the batteries plus group 31 lead acid. Starting the third season with them, only time will tell.

agm…..i bought my first one last spring. It is a exide group 31 that is my starting battery. So far so good, but it has only been one year.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Steve, the Optima bluetop are dual-purpose deep cycle designed for both starting and running electronics. You are correct that charging after every use keeps them healthy for many years.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Steve, the Optima bluetop are dual-purpose deep cycle designed for both starting and running electronics. You are correct that charging after every use keeps them healthy for many years.

This is true for all many marine batteries when discharged. Once the battery is depleted of charge “as rated by it’s RC reserve capacity and ah amp hours” it needs to have the charge restored. These spec’s are not used on starting batteries. The difference with a deep cycle battery is it can be discharged to a higher degree “more deeply” then a stating battery without damaging the battery. Many deep cycle batteries can dual as starter batteries, but not the other way around.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Odyssey

All my boats will always have these on board.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.