**Re-prop** 17 Mr. Pike Yamaha F115

• cal74

Don’t know much about props in general and I was going to send a pm to propman as I’ve seen/heard he’s the go to person but doesn’t look like he’s been active in a while.

17 Foot Lund Mr. Pike Yamaha F115

Current prop is a aluminum 13.25×17, have read one of the best props for this set-up is a Yamaha Pro 13.5×19 but can’t really swing that right now.

Very very seldom have a need for full throttle, but current prop is getting 42-43 around 6100 rpms I believe and that’s where it needs to be I’ve read.

Gets up on plane decent, but looking to be able to maintain a slower plane speed. Right now you can maintain plane around 18-19.

I’d like to get the stern up a little and a little more adjust-ability on plane as right now the prop washes out pretty easily.

Thoughts on an aluminum 4 blade or other suggestions?

Thanks

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

I currently have a 175 alumacraft Dominator sport with a 115 opti on the back, I recently just switched from a factory alum. 13.25 X 17″ 3 blade alum. prop to the newer Merc Spitfire X7 4 bladed SS Prop. I got the 13″ X 17″ and it had made a night and day difference in my rig. Hole shot was better, midrange aceleration better, better bow lift, even gained on the top end. My RPS are abo-ut 100-200 less that when I had the Alum. but I will take that. I dont know what took so long for me to switch to SS.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I dont know what took so long for me to switch to SS.

I’ve made the SS and also avoided the switch to stainless. If you’re not worried about hitting crap with your prop then I’m a huge believer.

Our family’s newest runabout got a stainless on it the second season. Made the boat to what it truly should be. No idea why the prior owner never did it.

20 years back I wrecked dad’s boat. Put the stainless prop into rocks or rip rap. The prop didn’t take much damage but everything internal became filings. Would have much preferred an aluminum to shear off blades than wreck spindles

Lake without major danger = stainless
    Lake with unknown rocks/deadheads/hazards = aluminum w/spare in the boat and the ability to swap it out

Sorry, I’m not a pitch expert.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The spitfire 17p aluminum would perform pretty well on your boat, I would think. I have a Lowe FM 175 ProWT, and that gave me great hole shot, lower plane speeds and better handling. I also didn’t lose any top end. You can get the Flo-Torque hub kit for your yamaha, and I would imagine test that prop out. I guarantee you’d like the handling and holeshot, you will likely lose a few hundred RPMs, but the speed should be very close to the same.

cal74

spitfire 17p aluminum

Thanks for the replies guys, what size would you go with that?

Most of my fishing at this time is going to be on the Mississippi near Red Wing and Lake Zumbrota. Probably not a whole lot of rocks to be hit, but possibly some sand here and there.

Not overaly concerned about loosing any top end. Seldom push it past 35 the way it is and usually I’m more concerned about lowering my planing speed.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I’m guessing the 17 pitch would be the place to start

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The spitfire only comes in one diameter. I believe it’s 13

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.